PDA

View Full Version : Ryu?

diego
01-13-2002, 10:29 PM
If you were you, never trained a day in your life but had your level of conditioning'you can take a fall,etc" what would you teach you,if you had 3-5 months before a forced unwillingly deathmatch,so you give you 100g to live with you and train fight/spar;what would you work on,what do you feel are your most applicable offense/defensive technique's/stratage's.

reason for asking,im trying to get into a more martial mood,and your jkd concepts,judo.your combination training is very similar to what i know about kajukenbo.What stratagies of awareness is most essential,for a barbrawl,and all out oneonone youkilled my teacher fighting,would you teach you.

Ryu
01-14-2002, 01:03 AM
I'll be....me... :confused:

I had to read that one twice. :D But I think I know what you're asking pretty clearly.

Well I'll try to answer like this. I believe my best offensive assets are my ability to pick people up and get em off their feet. I feel I have good control on the ground, and have been able to pin, hold down, and submit people much bigger and heavier than me who were also trained in the same grappling arts.
So I would definately include working knowledge of getting in there, and throwing a guy down with a bodylock, ura nage, etc. I'd definitely teach good control skills on the ground, and practice randori with partners and "centering" drills on wrestling dummies, etc. With control, I'd want skills to end the fight quickly, so I'd teach ground and pound (even though lately I'm starting to think I might seriously hurt someone if I ever use it)
(leads me to another post I'll make shortly)
After that I would teach strong punching drills, palm strikes, finger jabs to eyes, etc. Kicking a downed opponent, etc.

For the physical stuff of a streetfight...that's what I feel would be good. But I think a working awareness of your surroundings are a much better defense system. I would teach environment awareness, stress management, how to handle aggressive situations, how to difuse hostile people, etc. And I'd teach first strike principles probably too (even though some may not see it as honorable :( )
Awareness of who and what is around you puts you in the proper mindset to position yourself away from a surprise attack, and lets you know your options of attack, escape, etc.
For example, yesterday when I took those three Japanese girls to a mall in a downtown city, I stopped at a service station to ask directions on how to get to a certain highway. I left them in the car, but took a quick look about to see who was around. Walking towards me was a large black man with a black leather jacket, and a black head cloth wrapped around his head. He was looking right at me, and I looked right into his eyes as well. He was MUCH bigger than I was. But I watched him thoroughly, but did not try to look threatening or anything. In fact, I held the door open for him, never taking my eyes off of him. He never took his from me either. I gave him a little nod and a smile as he entered after me, and he nodded back. He stood right behind me, much closer than I liked (for whatever reason) So I kept watch of him from the corner of my eye, and positioned myself near the door and a little more distance away from him. I asked the clerk directions, but never once took my true attention off the guy near me. When I got my directions I turned, and the big man kind of stepped in my way. I didn't have any fear at all, and just looked right into his eyes again, gave a confident smile, and said, "s'cuse me" with a nod. Then I left without giving it a second thought, got back into the car, and enjoyed my day with the girls. :) Now, my point is, there was probably nothing to be worried about. He probably just looked intimidating, but wasn't planning to do anything. But hey...I was aware always. And so if, in the unlikely case that he was planning something, or didn't like me for some reason, I was prepared, and aware of his every move. That gives ME an advantage, and places a small disadvantage on him. That is probably the best "self-defense" type teachings. People get hurt because they are off in their own little worlds. Gotta know who's around you. Even if it's not necessary.

So that's what I would say. :D
But if I was gonna get into a "deathfight" I'd teach myself how to use a 9mm glock or colt :D

Ryu

diego
01-14-2002, 01:30 PM
I like the awareness example ,at the service station.I have a few detail questions on the drills mentioned,il write'em up in abit,"I HAVE BEEN ANALYZING WHAT I KNOW ABOUT GETTING JUMPED ON THE STREET,WITH MY techniques"Ryu you should really look into kajukenbo,everything you described,is exactly kajukenbo attitude/theory....i read bruce lee heavily borrowed from kajukenbo concepts for his jkd...he supposedly trained with a stylist in the late sixties,and was very impressed"i dont know why you never hear it in his writings-the name kajukenbo,when i look at his thoughts,its all kajukenbo,but they did it 20 years before'in the late 40s."!!!!:cool:

diego
01-17-2002, 11:54 PM
DAng caps!!!
could you give me the rundown what you know about boxing,you wrote in the past your pop was a glovechamp....
so they use the jab,cross,hook,uppercut,i know some styles use a overhead'stamping type punch??
could you elaborate,or know any good article sights,breaking down the history of technical aspects in boxing!.

obviously your dad taught you,how long should it take for a healthy individual to learn a prostyle of boxing,im thinking not to long,most the time would be spent in conditioning and sparring..

yah,just some openended questions,could you break down what you know in BOXING,FEETPLAY ,DEFENSIVE ACTIONS ETC..
PEACE....

neptunesfall
01-18-2002, 05:12 AM
just a question....do you feel that first striking is not honorable? if so, why?
just curious, no insult intended.

Crimson Phoenix
01-18-2002, 05:18 AM
First striking is not honorable at all...but so is fighting...so strike first.

neptunesfall
01-18-2002, 06:27 AM
why is it not honorable?

Crimson Phoenix
01-18-2002, 08:31 AM
Do you believe it is?

neptunesfall
01-18-2002, 12:21 PM
if i sneak up behind you and punch you in the neck, THAT is dishonorable and cowardly.
if you call me out, or i call you out, and we fight...well....it's a fight. first punch, second punch, honor does not matter.
only staying alive and winning matters.

Ryu
01-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Diego, well first let me say that I'm in now way as good as my father was in boxing. Those days are way behind him now anyway. He did teach me a little, but I try to use it to get a better clinch and throw than to really knock someone out....but recently I've been really drilling my punching, mechanics, and power.

Um....well he's the reason I don't like the straight blast!! LOL. Just can't break his defenses. He was always able to get in close and just nail me with uppercuts, crosses, etc. He taught me just how to move, basic punches, basic combos, and basic strategies. Nothing really advanced. I don't know any sites about boxing :(
Sorry. I usually look at real fighting sites, police sites, and NHB or judo stuff on the net.

Neptunesfall. Well I believe that "honor" in a streetfight should be given before a fight starts. (that means agreeing not to fight) I agree that "fighting" itself is not really honorable (especially if it's just ego garbage) Sometimes you have to fight in order to protect yourself or someone else who can't fight for themselves. So if your motivation is on protection, then I do not feel the first strike principle is "unhonorable" ....this guy could be a better fighter than me. I don't want to give him the chance to find out. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the law....first strike does not usually go over well.
But again it's relative to the circumstance. :)

Hope that helps. When it comes to street/reality I have a very realist attitude....my opponent shouldn't be "trying to fight me" in the first place. It's rude. If I'm in the wrong, I'd just apologize as I always do. But if it's the guy's ego that's the problem, well if you can't get away from it you'd better defend yourself to whatever degree you need to win.

Ryu

Ryu
01-18-2002, 01:07 PM
BTW, Neptunesfall, I agree with you :)
But again, situations can be difficult. Imagine a scenario where someone has broken into my home, and is going to harm my girlfriend, sister, etc. The guy is big, strong, and I don't know if he's skilled in fighting or not. So I "sneak up behind him" and hit him in the back of the head with a baseball bat. Is that "honorable"? All I know is, if I fight him face to face I may not win. There's a chance of that, and who knows what will happen to the person I love.
It's a very rare and intense scenario, but you get the idea. :)

Ryu

neptunesfall
01-18-2002, 03:59 PM
ryu -

yeah i agree with that too....the break in scenario.
i actually was thinking about being in a club, bar etc and sucker punching someone
when i wrote that comment.
thanks for the reply.