PDA

View Full Version : Bong Sao

IronFist
01-14-2002, 12:07 AM
So in bong sao, you're deflecting the punch off the outside edge of your forearm, right?

Sorry for my stupid little questions :(

Iron

straight blast
01-14-2002, 12:44 AM
I may be horribly wrong here (but hey, I'm new to this) so feel free to correct me, but I think the Bong "family" (this is how I've heard it referred to as) consists of making contact with the outside edge of your forearm, yes. I have also heard it said that the Tan "family" (there goes that word again -:D ) consists of making contact with the inside of the forearm, and so forth.

Hope this helps...

Actually, I just hope that I've got it right!

Ish
01-14-2002, 05:11 AM
So in bong sao, you're deflecting the punch off the outside edge of your forearm, right?

I wouldn't say that the outside edge of your forarm is deflecting the punch, it makes contact but you avoid the punch by turning and allowing the punch to continue past you.

vt108
01-14-2002, 06:40 AM
Good structure of your Bong Sau should be enough to deflect the punch. You add the twist when your Bong Sau starts to deflect the punch.
Besides we have few types of Bong Sau. "Normal Bong" like in Siu Nim Tau, "Power Bong" from the Chum Kiu, "Low Bong" also in Chum Kiu. If we are talking about "normal Bong" it is like I said before. Angles of your arm are very important in Bong Sau. And the most important it should go up and forwards. To many people make it only upwards and Bong doesn't work. And remember your arm must twist because it also helps to deflect the hand.

anerlich
01-14-2002, 08:20 PM
Tan can deflect with inside, outside, or back of forearm.

whippinghand
01-14-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
If all you want to do is "deflect" .... but there are many uses for the bong sau, on which depend the side of the bong sau.

IronFist
01-15-2002, 12:16 AM
but there are many uses for the bong sau, on which depend the side of the bong sau.

care to share? :D :D :D

Iron

Frank Exchange
01-15-2002, 04:15 AM
"care to share?"

You jest, surely. :)

IronFist
01-15-2002, 11:06 AM
You jest, surely. :)

Um, nope?

Iron

whippinghand
01-15-2002, 11:38 PM
It depends on what you'd like to accomplish from your bong sau....

saulauchung
01-16-2002, 12:45 AM
I've been asked by many fellow Wing Chun practitioners as to how many bong-sau's are in the Wing Chun system. This apparently is a favourite question to ask to see how knowledgeable a person is in Wing Chun, because unlike other techniques in the system, Bong-sau is one of a select few that are unique and cannot be found in other styles of martial art.

So, anyone care to answer this question: How many Bong-sau's are there?

:cool:

Ish
01-16-2002, 05:14 AM
I'd go with one bong sau but it has many uses

saulauchung
01-16-2002, 07:34 AM
Ish, I don't know the answer myself. Technically I agree with you, there is only one bong-sau, but with many different usage. However, each different usage requires a slightly different configuration to the bong-sau. Understanding the different usage and its configuration is thus the anser to my question.

whippinghand
01-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by saulauchung
Bong-sau is one of a select few that are unique and cannot be found in other styles of martial art.
Not so.... careful, careful.

reneritchie
01-16-2002, 01:30 PM
Like anything, there is one (core, essential, primitive, form, archetypal, etc.) and infinite (every variation under every condition). Picking a number (be it 2, 5, 8, 18, etc.) just helps with the learning process (since it can be difficult to grasp the concept of concept, and difficult to practice endless variation right from the start). You can have some fun by taking different paths (straight, sweeping, etc.), powers (thrusting, whipping, etc.) actions (slicing, sloughing, etc.), gates (inside, outside, etc.), levels (high, low, etc.), purposes (defense, offense), catagory (striking, locking, etc.) and then working out lists of all the possible combinations, long or short, if you like.

BTW- You can find Bong Sao in other arts, though it will vary in name and emphasis.

Rgds,

RR

saulauchung
01-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Since I've only experienced learning WC, I know little about other styles of martial art (nor do I wish to). Hence, I can't rebut about the bong-sau technique in other styles. The information I mentioned (being bong-sau as only found in WC) was told to me by my Sifu.

My Sifu always encourages us to visit as many WC Sifu's as possible to compare, and if a better Sifu is found, he would go with his students to enrol. I'm sure he would be very interested to learn that other styles possess the Bong-sau technique also.

Cheers,

saulauchung
01-19-2002, 06:45 AM
Whippinghand & Reneritchie, can you tell me what other styles uses the equivalent of our bong-sau and its name. Thanks.

whippinghand
01-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Hung Gar
White Crane

I think in Hung Gar it's still called Bong Sau.
In White Crane, I'm not sure what it is called.

JasBourne
01-19-2002, 01:54 PM
So, anyone care to answer this question: How many Bong-sau's are there?

Two. Effective bong sao and ineffective bong sao. :)

yuanfen
01-19-2002, 02:01 PM
I am no MA historian and much history can be someone's story-
BUT--- some stories have it that there were exchanges between
systems in the southern rebel arts. Hung Gar and wingchun
(Oliver Stone's coulda been tradition) supposedly exchanged
things...on one side comes the pole into wing chun...on the other side some crane like motions on to hung ga. Bong sao in part equals wing hand- a vestige of crane? Perhaps. BUT- It doesnt matter because
a wing chun bong should follow a wing chun set of principles on the construction of the bong for wing chun usage..

Sharky
01-20-2002, 10:46 AM
i believe bong sau require mastery in wing chun before you can use it right in a fight.

it is VERY hard to use in a fight, unless you are the sh.it.

yuanfen
01-20-2002, 04:05 PM
Sharky- the level of learning the bong should be the same as one's tan and fok- otherwise you have un balanced chi sao and practical application of wing chun IMO.
Now- how about those rice cakes!

Golden Arms
01-23-2002, 12:11 PM
Just to add my 2 golden taels.....We use bong sau in our Hung Ga lineage..in fact we use it a LOT as its in a lot of our forms. Some of the other things that Hung Ga sometimes shares with WC lineages are Pak Sau, Biu Sau, and various trapping techniques. My teacher also said that at some point an exchange was made where the Hung people taught long pole to WC, and WC gave us Biu Gee and some misc techniques. Hope that helps..

-Golden Arms-