PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar Evasion Question

Apprentice
01-14-2002, 01:04 AM
I was wondering what are jes a couple of the first forms names?...

I've herad a few and they sound cool, "Tiger Protects Cubs"

And whats the difference between each animals evasion techniqes? As in, looks and effectiveness

About how many evasion things are their for each animal? or as far as u are aware

And their was a evasion thing for Snake, but i forgot the name...Snake vanishes into mist? was that it? jes curious, and wut does it look like?

jon
01-14-2002, 05:59 AM
Its usualy easyer to contruct your thoughts in text when your not intoxicated:rolleyes: Still i get the general gist;)
Some of these questions are tricky to answer at my level so ill tell you what i can and what im alowed and leave the rest.

"I was wondering what are jes a couple of the first forms names?... "
- The four main pillar sets are called...
Taming the tiger in an I shape, also called cross tiger fist.
Tiger and crane double shape fist.
Five animals and five elements
Iron Wire

"I've herad a few and they sound cool, "Tiger Protects Cubs"
- That sounds more to me like the name of a technique, yes the moves are named and the name often has relevence to the application. There usualy very poetic and have a deeper phycological meaning as well.

And whats the difference between each animals evasion techniqes? As in, looks and effectiveness
- Ok i take it you mean the whole five...
Tiger- prefers to use angle and distance rather than outright dodge.
Crane- Tends to use leaning and spinning of the waist and nimble footwork.
Leapord- Use is simlar to tiger though a little lighter on the feet also tends to come it at slightly greater angles. Or at least angles are given more focus.
Dragon- Twisting, spiraling, gliding... The dragon is the master of being elusive. Yet also the most grounded animal of all, strange huh?
Snake- Slippery and soft tends uses supelty and flexiblity.

"About how many evasion things are their for each animal? or as far as u are aware"
- Thats an impossible question im afraid, at least for me. It would depend on how the student uses there given technique.

"And their was a evasion thing for Snake, but i forgot the name...Snake vanishes into mist? was that it? jes curious, and wut does it look like?"
- Im sorry i dont know that technique by that name.

Nice to see your asking good questions again Apprentice you are like me in that way. Always seeking the details and the specialty.

Apprentice
01-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanx jon, LOL, why'd u think i wuz intoxicated? jes curious :rolleyes:

Oh yea, i forgot about the elements, what are they like? Good descriptions with the animals btw...how do the elements defend/attack?

jon
01-15-2002, 05:05 AM
"why'd u think i wuz intoxicated? jes curious"
- lol becouse you spell as if your slurring your speach:D Why was I right?
Ok the elements to be honest im not so good with, as there still a little over my head but i do have a basic understanding of them and how they strike.
Water - Like waves crashing, often uses palms and flowing pounding techniques.
Fire - Rising techniques and cutting techinques.
Earth - Often represented by fists crashing down towards the ground. Often uses both the arms like giant sledge hammers.
Metal- Im guessing must be pretty hard:rolleyes:
Wood- Has a kind of hard flexiblity as with metal this is one ive yet to really train.
Earth is seen quite a bit in my current form as is a little of fire. Im yet to seek out the others.
I havent learnt enough yet to give you much more detail than that, anything else i wouldnt be to sure of. Maybe with some luck someone with a little more knowledge than me might like to fill us in?

Je Lei Sifu
01-15-2002, 08:06 AM
Hello Brothers:

Just a little help if I may.

Water: Use techniques such as your Long Arm Punches
Fire: Are Rapid Straight using Ping Choi or Yut Gi Choi.
Earth: Already describe by Jon.
Metal or Gold: Technique similiar to Ngau Gok (Cow horn Strikes)
Wood: Blocks and Punches used in conjuction. Right/Left Shoulder carries the wood.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

jon
01-15-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the corrections:)
lol looks like i was out of my element:rolleyes:
Fire i knew contained some strait techniques but i was under the impression there were a lot of rising techniques as well? As in the rising of fire.
Thanks Je Lei Sifu

Apprentice
01-15-2002, 10:53 PM
Jon: Im assuming you meant it looked like i was "slurring" my words because when i said "just" i say "jes"...dats how i say it IRL, so thats how it sounds to me, so i jes like to spell it like that, im not stupid or nothin(<sounds how it looks)...however, yes i was intoxicated, lol

Thanx for all of the replies, more are welcome and desired :D

Je Lei Sifu
01-15-2002, 11:21 PM
No problem Jon, always willing to learn and offer my input as well.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

Apprentice
01-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Is everyone new to hung gar or something? Not being an a§§, jes wondering why nobody can answer wut the snake thing is...

and jes curious, do you learn the animal movements in a specific order? such as

Tiger
Crane
Snake
Leopard
Dragon

Or do you learn bits n peices, like, even learning dragon at an early level...or how does this work?

Je Lei Sifu
01-16-2002, 10:29 PM
I'm far from being new to Hung Ga. Actually I have 16 plus years in Hung Ga alone. I personally am not familiar with the particular movement that you have questioned. However, you should remember that there are different names for the same technique. To answer your question about an evasive snake movement, the first to come to my mind would be "Parting the grass to reveal the snake". This movement is not done in Seh Ying (snake shape), it is done using the Fu Jau (Tiger Claw). To answer your other question, in our curriculum there is no particular order in which the animals are taught. From the begin set (Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen) all animals are revealed minus the crane shape.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

jon
01-17-2002, 03:15 AM
"Is everyone new to hung gar or something?"
- We are all less senior in Hung Ga compared to someone else.
I Have personaly studied for five years, i dont consider myself a layman but im not an expert either. This is why i was respectfull to Je Lei Sifu's corrections and said thank you. We all have a senior, Je Lei Sifu is easily mine and im sure he has many senior to himself as well.
We are all family though so in the end seniority is just a matter of respect and giving credit where its due.

Regarding your snake technique name, technique names will sometimes vary in translation and linage. There is also village versions of Hung Ga that teach totaly different curriculams, though are still based on the same seeds.

Apprentice
01-17-2002, 10:55 PM
eh, i think u guys MAY have taken offense to that statement, if u did, i didn't mean it as a sarcastic remark, but a serious question, thanx for the answer :) im jes tryin to kind of get an idea of what some things are practiced, im very eager to learn Hung Gar, since u guys may come back to this thread, have either of you been in fights with other styles? what styles? what was the fight like? (what happened)

jon
01-18-2002, 11:22 PM
I wasnt offended at all... You will have to try much harder than that to aggrivate me;)

have either of you been in fights with other styles?
- Only sparring, i dont make a habbit of picking fights with other martial arts schools:p

what styles?
- TKD, Karate, Tai Chi, Boxing, streetfighting and a Thai Boxer.

what was the fight like? (what happened)
-Most where a long time ago but i still like to spar as much as i can, i havent ever turned anyone down. Streetfighters are often the hardest becouse there fast aggresive and often much smarter than you would give them credit for. Boxers are a pain but if you can kick well you can offset them, they cant fight out of gloves which rocks. TKD can actualy be very hard if the opponent is high level, its hard to get in close enough and those kicks can go strait though most blocks. Karate wasnt too bad really, the guy i sparred was way to stiff and was easy to pick apart.
Tai Chi is proberly honestly the hardest with my background, i have to really watch to not overreach and keep my balance firm. If you tence up around the sholders you have had it fighting against good Tai Chi.
Sparring other styles is necersary for development but you must be very carefull how you do it. All of mine have just been people ive met and we have agreed to spar. I usualy dont try to kill my opponent but rather get an idea of how he reacts in different situations. Its more like controlled fighting than a free for all, hence its hard to be accurate about who comes out on top.