PDA

View Full Version : Weight training with limited weights

KC Elbows
01-14-2002, 11:49 AM
Just started lifting weights again, but I've got some limitations going on. Its free weights, and I don't have a lot of weights, plenty for curls for now, but with all the weights I could probably do like 35 reps on bench press.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might know of a good way to do my weight training despite the limitations. I like circuit training, it seems to really do a good job on my muscles, and I generally lift every other day.

Robinf
01-14-2002, 11:55 AM
Try your bench press with your feet on the bench. If that's still too easy, put your feet in the air (knees bent at 90 degrees).

Also, try alternating arms--you can do it like a piston where you're constantly up and down, or one at a time with a brief pause.

Try the same with your fly.

Robin

Paul
01-14-2002, 11:55 AM
the good news is you won't be needing a spotter.......

Ford Prefect
01-14-2002, 03:21 PM
One handed snatches and clean&jerks could be an option.

ElPietro
01-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Join a gym, they have lots.

Paul
01-14-2002, 04:31 PM
another option would be to buy more weights.

lowsweep
01-14-2002, 05:06 PM
How does bending your knees with your feet on the bench (so your knees are higher than your chest) make bench harder? Thats the way I usually do DB bench when I can't get to the gym because I wont have a real weight bench until march and I use a 5" tall bench I built out of 2x4's and plywood. Seems to be just as easy as putting my legs on the floor with a real bench to me, but I have never done it with different benches on the same day. What's the difference?

nospam
01-14-2002, 05:55 PM
the good news is you won't be needing a spotter.......

Now that's humour ;)

How does raising your feeties off the grnd make it harder? Because it lessens the amount of off-set muscle balance (stabilizing) the legs lend.

When I train with mimimal weight, limit your rest period and do decending sets- mimimum 3 drops. The drops could be in reps or poundage. Start by doing 25-35 reps, then take a few breaths and immediately do 15reps followed by maybe 8-10 reps. The muscle grp will be pumped- then grab a real low weight and vasculate! Do perhaps 10 more reps. This constitutes my work out even at the gym- great results for me.

nospam.
:cool:

ElPietro
01-14-2002, 08:05 PM
You also can't arch your back with your feet off the ground. Arching your back is a form of cheating on bench.

harry_the_monk
01-16-2002, 07:50 PM
If it is, what I did when I was in that position was to fill a rucksack with my weights and do push-ups, as long as your hands are about shoulder width or slightly wider that will work your chest(amongst others) but you also have the addition of your own body weight too thus increasing the weight you are lifting.
Make sure everything is secure though before you do that, I have also used siblings, friends and pets as well in this manner(although it did get a bit hairy when the pet boxer got a bit randy one day)....oh but i didn't place them securely in a rucksack before i get peeps complaining of cruelty