PDA

View Full Version : Silk reeling exercises

fa_jing
01-14-2002, 12:12 PM
I have a great book on Tai-Chi called "The Tao of Tai-chi Chuan" by Tsing Hwa Jou or something like that. In it, he describes silk-reeling exercises where you trace the Yin-Yang symbol in the air with your fingers or toes, incorporating various body movements into the exercise. I tried the simplest one and thought it was pretty cool.

So, anyone here practice Silk Reeling exercises? How have they benefited your health or martial ability? Which ones do you do?

Love those training methods!

-FJ

MonkeySlap Too
01-14-2002, 04:18 PM
Hey Fa Jing!,
My buddy Brian at the Golden Mountain teaches the Chen style silk reeling exercises. You can always hit him up with questions when I'm in town next.

Renlei
01-14-2002, 07:48 PM
To produce power in many Internal styles one must master silk reeling. Silk reeling is practised by using the figure 8 hips and generating power from the earth, to the heaven.
The figure 8 hips is done by shifting your weight from one leg to the other, while twisting the waist in a figure 8 motion.
This will generate power from the feet to the waist and can be delivered from the upper part of the body in a corkscrew effect.
All silk reeling in my experience is the same except for some very slight variations.
I hope that this helps.
Regards

Renlei.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-18-2002, 08:31 AM
I do silk reeling exercises every day including the Tai Chi symbol. I have the same book but I must have missed the part about the toes.

I am a Chen stylist and silk reeling is an integral part of my training. Have a good day.

xiaotiema