PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Prana

Ryu
01-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Prana,

What are some of the "better" chants you meditate with in the Vajrayana system? Can you give me a list of some of your chants, what they symbolize, what Bodhisattva they represent, etc.?

I'd really appreciate it. :)

Thanks,
Ryu

prana
01-14-2002, 10:59 PM
Ryu

It really on many factors, such as, what you want to most quickly achieve.

I belong to the Karma Kagyu lineage so "Karmapa Kenoo" or "Karmapa Chenno" are good ones to evoke him. Karmapa is the predicted Buddha to decent after Matreiya by Buddha Shakyamuni. His current reincarnation is 17, and has a seat in Sikkim. Referred to the living Buddha :) Say his mantra all day and night :)

Another Buddha I love to chant to is the Medicine Buddha. His mantra can be evoked by anyone, and does not require prior initiation. This is widely explained, the Tibetan way is

"Om Namo Bahawate Bhekazyai
Guru Bendurya Prabha Randza
Tathagata Arhate Sakyasam Buddhaya"
"Tayadta Om Bhekanzyai Bhekanzyai Maha Bhekhanzyai Bhekanzyai Randza Samudgate Soaha" this last phrase many times or greater than 108 times a day.

Visualise the Medicine Buddha sitting on your crown, his body Lapis Lazuli in colour, his left hand a begging bowl and his right index and thumb holding a flower and his palms facing you. This is excellent for removing sicknesses.

If you want to evoke happiness and kindness around you, then the Chenrezig mantra is very good. Visualise Chenrezig, clear-white in colour in front of you, sitting on a lotus seat and a moon disc. His mantra is that of "Om Mani Pemme Hung" in Tibetan. He has 4 arms, two in the prayer mudra, one right holding a mala (prayer beads) and his left holding a lotus flower.

If suddenly there are things that arise which you feel you are sorry for, then "Om Vajrasattva Hum" is a great mantra. Visualise Vajrasattva, body white in colour sitting on your crown, and chant his mantra. And say to yourself, I shall not to repeat this anymore for X days/years etc. This is the best mantra for reversing bad karma.

For the Dewachen (pure land prayers) evoke the mantra of Amitabha. Chinese say "Namo Amitofo". I say "Om Ami Dewa Hrih". Amitabha sits on a lotus and moon seat in front of you and to his left is Vajrapani, blue in colour holding a dorje and bell. He is the manifestation of the magical powers of the Buddhas. To his right, is Chenrezig, white in colour, 4 arms, two in prayer mudra, one right hand holding a mala (beads) and his left a lotus flower bud. This prayer is powerful when death comes near, or just before bed etc.

Hope this answers your question. These can be practised without empowerment. However, others cannot so I won't share those :D Hope you dont mind....

How are you feeling anyways ?

I just wanted to say these are only short sadhanas. Long ones can be found at many other sites, so if you do a search for the appropriate Buddha names, you will find them :)

Nexus
01-14-2002, 11:35 PM
I just wanted to mention the mantra for breakfast...

Om Dor ito Ilo veappl ejacks

Ryu
01-14-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks Prana!
That did answer my question, and was a big help. Thank you again.

Yeah, I'm feeling fine. :) You know, there are days when stuff happening out there bothers you, but for now things are good. :D
(though I'm starting to lose interest in going out with a lot of girls... would like to settle down and find the right one. Oh well, whenever, I suppose. :) Also, just so no one thinks I'm some kind of hypocrite manw h o r e or anything, I go out with all these girls for fun, conversation, and occasionally some flirty stuff, but I never take it too far. )

Thanks again,
Ryu

prana
01-15-2002, 12:12 AM
Ryu, anytime buddy :)

I am so full of faults, sometimes I wonder what I ever did to deserve the life I am having and the teachings I have received.

Girls :D I think it is natural and healthy, someone once explained to me it is natural for guys to perve at girls because it is something that has been instilled in the genes for many thousands of years. hehehe whether it is true or not, go figure ;p

Don't worry, take your time.

IronFist
01-15-2002, 12:12 AM
These can be practised without empowerment. However, others cannot so I won't share those

Can you please explain what this means? What is "empowerment?"

Sorry for the newbie question :(

Iron

prana
01-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
These can be practised without empowerment. However, others cannot so I won't share those

Can you please explain what this means? What is "empowerment?"

Sorry for the newbie question :(

Iron

Iron :)

A qualified Lama has to bestow the "rlung" to you. I think the closest translation of this word to Chinese is Qi. Practise without the empowermet can lead to unfavourable rebirths, and practise will not give rise to progress.