PDA

View Full Version : Hello and a request for advice

Matsukaze
01-15-2002, 12:14 AM
Hello all,

I am a newbie on this forum although I have lurked around here for a short time. I've been training in Japanese weapons arts for the last several years and have been interested in pursuing something different.

Recently someone gave me some information on a school teaching hsing yi and pa kua in my area. While I have some understanding of the physical particulars of these arts, I must confess to having no background in the requisite formalities of a Chinese school.

The school in question does not advertise (i.e. no ad in the Yellow Pages)and seems to maintain a very low profile. How should I go about approaching the instructor to inquire about instruction? It seems like it would be rude to simply "drop by" and calling on the phone seems odd as well. Would a letter be in order?

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

TPC

Daniel Madar
01-15-2002, 12:53 AM
I'd just drop by. My experience with Chinese arts is that superficially they have less formality that Japanese arts, as the Japanese arts are practiced in America. ((In Japan, it's a lot more casual than karate and kendo guys here want to believe.))

Just don't hoot and holler or anything like that, and wait until class is over. With my teacher, either I or one of the other senior students will go over and say hi, etc. to find out what you want.

Ray Pina
01-15-2002, 08:36 AM
I was in a similiar situation seeking out my Ba Gua, Hsing-I master.

I looked for months in Chinatown without success. No one would tell me. Then I met a student of his through fighting friends. Had to take him out to eat a few times, let him get to know me -- a good guy.

Anyway, turns out my teacher is mad cool, informal, I could have walked right in -- if I only knew where.

Go early, before class, bring tuition, at least $100 or $150 just to be covered and, as someone who has trained, be respectful. Better over respectful then under. I find most internal players are even less informal then external.

By the way, good move, going righ to the yi-quan. If you studied Japanses swordsmanship you'll apreciate it.

guohuen
01-15-2002, 01:00 PM
I'd plan a visit. If they don't advertise a letter of recomendation might be in order and if you can find anyone who goes there ask them to introduce you.

01-15-2002, 02:58 PM
If this school has a business listing, then a phone call is your right as a consumer.

There is no harm in asking.

If the school can't handle your questions, then they're not going to be able to handle your questions when you actually start training.

Matsukaze
01-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. I am going to call the gentleman tomorrow and ask about training.

Thanks again,

TPC