PDA

View Full Version : What are good warm up and cool down excercises?

Leonidas
01-15-2002, 12:36 AM
I been killing myself jumping straight into workouts and i cant find nothin' on the web even though all the so called experts and fitness gurus are spitting the same thing they read in someone elses book, i cant find any real information

Robinf
01-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Any of the "cardio" machines at the gym for a few minutes will warm you. For lack of a gym, try jumprope, or basic callestenics (without resting in between exercises), or even jogging around your school for 5 to 10 minutes. Also try some active stretching afterwards.

Robin

ElPietro
01-15-2002, 07:44 AM
A warmup means taking the exercise you are starting, and do 1-3 light sets first.

Generally what I do is warm-up on the one major compound move that I will be doing which will sufficiently warm up most of the muscles being worked that day. For example if I'm doing chest/triceps, I will do 2 warmup sets on bench press first. Generally using 50-60% of the weight I'd normally use for my sets. Give a light stretch afterwards and then start your normal weight.

Cardio can be useful for increasing circulation and bloodflow as well, but I rarely do this unless it's leg day, then I'll spend 5-10 minutes on a stationary bike.

Hope that helps.

premier
01-15-2002, 10:02 AM
warm up:

1. Joint rotations
2. Cardio
3. Light stretching

Cool down:

1. Watered down versions of the movements you mostly did
2. Cardio
3. Light stretching

Robinf
01-15-2002, 12:11 PM
ElPietro,

Ever try that eliptical machine? I'm addicted! My butt was uncomfortable sitting on that bike seat, that's what made me try the thing.

Robin

xiong
01-16-2002, 08:22 AM
For me joint rotations followed by stretches are essential. I like to do a light jog around the training hall with different footwork each lap next. Then puching and kicking drills and a linked stance drill or somekind of moving stance drill.

At home I find doing some Tai Chi or Chi Gong like 8 pieces brocade can also help loosen you up for your workout.

Treadmills, Stationary Bikes, Ski machines or Jumping rope are all great ways to warm up your muscles. For warm up purposes you don't need more than a brisk 5 minutes. Of course if you want to stay on longer for cardio, since you're already there, that's great too.

Hope this helps.

ElPietro
01-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Robin,

Yeah I've tried it before...felt a bit weird but I think I'll start adding it in as I've sorta changed up my training regime anyway...and it will involve a lot more cardio. I already have a lot of stress on my joints while training, so low impact cardio is best.