PDA

View Full Version : roundhouse/ whirlwind/ muay thai kicking

scotty1
01-15-2002, 05:16 AM
OK, you've got two type of round / turning kick, yes?
The type that gets chambered first, and the type that turns in Muay Thai style, like you're getting on a bike.
So if you agree with that, answer me this:

1. For the Kungfu people - which variety does your style use?

2. For the Muay Thai people - If you want to do a roundhouse off the leading leg does it have to be of the chambered variety? I can understand the mechanics of swinging your leg round from the back but I can't see how this can be done off the leading leg.

dezhen2001
01-15-2002, 05:57 AM
i remember when i did muay thai (it was only for like 6 months) that if we wanted to do it from the lead leg, we used to switch stance quickly then kick. i dunno if that was just training though. Most kickboxers can create a lot of power from their front leg anyway (in my experience of getting hit!).
I'm sure someone with more experiece will be bale to tell yo for sure though :)

i do wing chun now so no round kicks :p

david

Nichiren
01-15-2002, 06:05 AM
When I used to train thai we usually stepped in with the front leg and used our weight in the side-kick(leaning over) and kicking with the shin. No loading up at all and the kick's energy comes from the front, not the side. Kind of weird kick but the thighs shure got bruised up...

scotty1
01-15-2002, 06:37 AM
Uh, Nicheren, thanks for your answer but I don't understand.

My question was do you have to chamber a round kick off the front leg?

Are you talking about a side kick? I can't visualize...

Nichiren
01-15-2002, 07:15 AM
Scotty...

Its hard to describe but I will try. Stand in front of something you can kick. Start to move your lead leg as you would execute a front knee e.g. to the groin (important: do not lean back. If you lean back you will not be able to do this kick with power). Then turn your standing leg and shift your front knee into a sidekick but do not kick out with it yet. Your shin should be perpendicualar to the floor and parallel with the object to kick. Now, thrust the shin forward and put all your weight behind it and connect with the object to kick. This kick benefits if angled slightly down when connecting. You should connect with the shin. Put the movements toghter and voila... At the same time you're turning you thrust forward(I sometimes jump it in)!

This is a very powerful kick that I like to add after connecting with a punch, and I always kick from the stomach down with it. It is very hard to block because it is easy to adjust concerning height. If the kick hits the thigh it will get bruised, thigh-cake in swedish...:D

scotty1
01-15-2002, 08:31 AM
I want to see what other MT people do,

Cheers nicheren. i think from what you are describing you are chamberng the kick. Lifting the leg in front (as for a front kick) then turning and snapping your shin out.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-15-2002, 11:21 AM
i do kung fu and we use both varieties.

the mt type are rightfully call mt kicks.

the front leg is kinda hard to explain. you got to co ck your hip right to get your calf parallel to the ground like the other guy said. i have to turn my hips the opposite direction (like throwing a right cross in left forward stance) before launching the kick in order to do it right. this may be wrong though as im not a mt fighter. you can whip the dead weight of your front leg, but i usually just use a snap kick off the front cause i'm faster with them.

i'm not allowed to use the word "chamber" at class though. sifu gets mad and threatens to pummble you.

fa_jing
01-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Kick using all the leg and abdominal muscles. In other words, keep moving the upper thigh through the kick. It's more powerful than pointing your knee first, although some will disagree.
-FJ

SevenStar
01-15-2002, 04:09 PM
We would switch step, which brings your front foot back a little. The you can proceed with the kick.

another way we would do it is to keep the same stance, but when you raise your leg, you open your hips and throw the kick. I think fa jing described.

In kung fu, we use both.

Keep in mind however that the thai kick is really thai kicks. There several variations of the roundhouse kick.