PDA

View Full Version : Question for Evolution Fist

Yung Apprentice
01-15-2002, 09:27 AM
From some posts of yours that I've read, you seem to have much experience in fighting and self defense and challenges and such. What do you think about Hsing-Yi? Do you think it works in real fights and real life situations? You seem pretty knowledgable, the Hsing-Yi school I'm looking at, the sifu there is Dale Shinanaga( or something like that ) He teaches Tang Shou Tao Hsing-Yi ( I was told it's from Taiwan). Have you heard of him, or your has your sifu? If so would you or your teacher recommend him?

Yung Apprentice
01-17-2002, 06:20 PM
???????????????????????

Ray Pina
01-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Sorry, just saw your post. I wouldn't say I know much about HSing-I, been only studying it with my teacher for a year, but it has been intense.

I have A LOT of respect for Hsing-I; no nonsense, straight to the point. In some ways I like it even more than Ba Gua, it fits my personality. I love drilling fist. The internal is very strong too.

I don't know that guy, but I'll print out his name and take it to class with me tonight, Friday. I'll post and see what sifu says.

Peace
Ray

Ray Pina
01-18-2002, 01:08 PM
PS, by the way, I'll be in Vegas on the 28th. I'll be there that entire week but that Monday is the only time I know I'm free. I'm staying at Treaure Island.

I would have non quams in showing you the flavor of what I have been taught. It is not so fancy, just a few basic moevemnt but they work, against a lot of scenarious. Very powerful. My confidence has jumped amazingly since learning this, especially tiger hands, a shielding method.

Put it to you this way, I stopped wearing head gear against a few guys I fight with just to make it a bit more real for me (they still have boxing gloves). The style has a few "go to" forms (shapes) that are inheritently strong. Them alone, with the applications, are very meanginful and could be adopted into your own style quite easily.

Actually before training with my master I fought one of his students and he showed me Tiger Hands and right away the lights turned on, "Aaaahhhhhh, of coarse it has to be that way."

Think the openor of Sil Lum Tao, the double cross hands. Now think keeping that shape, tucking the chin and greating a force, you jam it quite easily. if its too strong utilize the strenght of the shoulder/back, the pulling back motion to clear and the hit. There's one Ba Gua step , when added to this is quite effective. You can get the entire flavor in 15 minutes. Of coarse a master would fine tune it, but the structure will be there already.

Consider it.

Yung Apprentice
01-18-2002, 06:49 PM
I would love to, but Mondays are ( unforunately ) my Tuesdays. I work graveyards, which makes it even more an inconveniance. But thank you for responding, please get back to me on what your sifu says about the sifu here.

Ray Pina
01-22-2002, 08:07 AM
Sorry agian, haven't forgoten you, but class was a bit hectic on Friday and I forgot to pull the name out of my wallet. I just checked, it's still there and will ask tonight.

Peace
Ray

Yung Apprentice
01-23-2002, 03:03 AM
Cool. Thanx man!

Ray Pina
01-23-2002, 07:09 AM
OK, sorry for the delay. My sifu does not know the gentleman. He does caution learning Hsing-I or Ba Gua from a Japanese man though, because the two nations (China and Japan) have a long history (sort of like Isreal/Palestine) and the sharing of high-level technology is not common.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I guess the only way to know is pay the man a visit and see if what he has to offer is better then what's around.

Peace

Yung Apprentice
01-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Thank you and your sifu for me!:)

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 07:32 AM
No problem. This is actually putting the board to good use. I'd go check it anyway, just because what if ...

I really like the Hsing-I mindset.

Felipe Bido
01-24-2002, 07:48 AM
Hi :)

Did you read my post on Tang Shou Tao Hsing Yi that I wrote on your "Hsing I" thread?

NafAnal
01-24-2002, 10:09 AM
I love the xingyi mindset too, none of this passive bollox.

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 11:09 AM
I think it does go well with the Ba Gua. I like to go right in and deal, but sometimes ya have to change and not force the issue.

Kind of wierd, because I'm not learning in the sense of, "OK, we're doing Ba Gua now."

My master has developed his own method, e-chuan, after studying Taiji, Hsing-I, Ba Gua, pole from Master Liu, and sword, according to one of his students, from some immortal in California. Won't touch that one, but his technique is top rate.

So I'm getting all these principles and I see a lot of them overlap, as far as where they are getting the power, what needs to be controled, how to give while actually getting.

I do like splitting first. That's my personality when fighting: "Let's go, I'm going to what you have to give and blow right through you anyway!"

Still have a lot to learn though, only been in the internal world formarly for a year. Been thinking about a lot of these things for a few years now, but now I have proper guidence.

Yung Apprentice
01-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Felipe, I just sent you a pm.:)

NafAnal
01-25-2002, 05:05 AM
xingyi isn't all linear. some of the applications in heng i've seen seem very sircular..... could be wrong tho, i've only been formally training for about 3-4 months.

still doing pi.

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 08:04 AM
I'm just a kook myself with the internal -- I have everything to learn still.