PDA

View Full Version : Sore Back

Galadriel
01-15-2002, 09:46 AM
Does anybody ever get a sore back from doing Tai Chi??

After about 30 mins or so, I get a pain in my lower back, and its really annoying!!

Galadriel

EARTH DRAGON
01-15-2002, 09:50 AM
When playing tai chi, you must always remember to open the mingmen point in the lower back , this will alow proper chi flow and stop stagnation which is te primary reason for your sore back

Sam Wiley
01-15-2002, 09:57 AM
Have you tried stretching and warming up before you practice your Taiji? Before you begin your training, stand with your feet parallel and about shoulder width apart, and begin swinging your arms as if you are that little drum in the Karate Kid movies. Start using your waist to swing your arms. Slowly swing them harder and harder, until they swing at about shoulder height. Don't do it too hard, though. This is assuming that the roblem is tension.

If you have had back injuries, you might want to use White Crane Spreads Wings from the Yang style of Taiji as a qigong for your back. Go into it from Shoulder Press and hold it for a minute. Do it on both sides. Remember to keep your hips pointing toward the corner, and your waist to a cardinal direction, so if your hips are to the NW corer, your waist is toward the W.

Galadriel
01-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Hey,
Thanks for the quick reply,
Just a question:
How do I open the mingmen point in the lower back????

We do warm ups before we do Tai Chi, and we do the swinging of the arms like the drum as you mentioned.

Galadriel

EARTH DRAGON
01-15-2002, 10:39 AM
Well first do you know where it is? second do you understand its function, are you to the point of cultivating chi in the lower dan tien? I have to ask all these questions before I can really answer you in a way you can understand.

Galadriel
01-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Hi Earthdragon,

The mingmen point is at the same place as your navel but on your back??
And I haven't got a clue what it does.
Regarding cultivating chi in the lower dan tien. I do breathing exercises into the dan tien before I do Tai Chi, I enjoy doing it, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that I'm cultivating chi there.

Thanks in advance,

Galadriel

bamboo_ leaf
01-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Sounds like you might be using tension to keep the low back aligned rather then relaxing it. The same thing could be said for what is called wrapping by some. This is the upper back slightly rounded, shoulders forward. Again if achieved though tensions can cause problems.

If you work with really relaxing the postures with out tension I think this will clear a lot of your problems up.

let your head be suspended and relax :)

Kevin Wallbridge
01-15-2002, 12:49 PM
Galadriel,

There is a good chance that your problem lies in the hips and that is why your back isn't able to release. To reduce the lordosis (inward curvature) of the lumbar spine the sacrum needs to drop away from the neck. Don't tuck the hips under, just let the hip joints relax to allow the sacrum to fall. Unfortunately its hard to say anything definitively without seeing how you carry yourself and how you move.

Just a suggestion.

EARTH DRAGON
01-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Galadriel, pretty close to the navel but about 2 inches lower and the ming men point is located across from this in the same line as the fuzhongchin. You should take the advice from bamboo and kevin as they are basically explaining what I was going to tell you but in much simpler terms. Yoiu see when you relax the hips you open that point and should feel chi or warmth eminating from the point, this is only when you are in correct posture or form, a lot of people try to concentrate on relaxing the point in order to properly line the spine. It is not the case of tucking the hips sotra speak as much as alining them.

Ray Pina
01-15-2002, 01:27 PM
Take your cox bone and stick it in your mouth, curl your lower tail bone up and out, straightening your back. It will feel good.

Be careful walking like this, because the natural curve of the spine is there for a reason: it keeps your bain from bouncing against your skull.

GLW
01-15-2002, 01:40 PM
This is a common problem if the alignment of the spine with the pelvis via the lower back and through the aid of the legs is not correct.

Otherwise, it can also indicate tension that you need to get rid of...as in relax or build up to it.

For the alignment, the following applies to Chen and Yang styles...Wu style is different....

For Gong Bu (front stance...the most common culprit), stand with your back in complete alignment with the back leg...this will mean that you will have a lean or diagonal back...

Now, bend the rear leg just a little...this removes pressure...

Now, put your hands on your pelvis and while keeping your hands there, tilt your pelvis until the spine is perpendicular to the floor....This aligns the spine all the way down into the lower back...if this is not aligned properly, you are making your lower back support the weight of the torso...and it is NOT made for this.

Now that your spine is aligned, get the feeling for this stance...and now try to apply it in your practice and form.

This is a bit hard to describe verbally...but the bottom line is that if the cause is the most common one, paying attention to how the pelvis and back leg fit into keeping your spine aligned will take care of a lot of pains.

Galadriel
01-16-2002, 04:06 AM
Thanks guys,

I shall try out your suggestions!!

Galadriel

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-22-2002, 01:09 PM
I had the same problem you have when I began Tai Chi. I always felt I could warm up doing the form but not so. You nees to warm up so I would suggest 8 Pieces of Brocade or Qigong 18. Train hard and well.

xiaotiema

Galadriel
01-23-2002, 03:40 AM
Thanks guys,
I did Tai Chi last night, and I followed your tips (and I also asked my sifu) and lo and behold, my back was grand, I didn't do as much Tai Chi, but I tried to keep the posture as good as I could and it seemed to work.

Galadriel