PDA

View Full Version : Ever punched anyone in the face?

IronFist
01-15-2002, 02:05 PM
They always say you shouldn't punch people in the face cuz you'll break your hand.

I've never punched anyone in the face.

Have you ever punched anyone in the face? Did you break your hand?

Iron

Mr. Nemo
01-15-2002, 02:07 PM
I have punched someone in the face, and I did not break my hand.

Ray Pina
01-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Yes. No.

KungFuGuy!
01-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Yes I have punched someone in the face, but he was really fat so it didn't hurt. It was so soft and cusiony, I could have punched all day!
Honestly, I don't think I'll ever break my fist no matter what I hit. Since I was 13 I've been conditioning my fists by carrying around flat rocks on my pocket, and hitting them over and over with my first two knuckles. Also going at it with brick walls helped too :D
Now I can hit anything as hard as I can and be just fine. Granted, it can sting, but I never injure myself.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-15-2002, 02:15 PM
cool. im gonna go make friends with a nerdy fat guy with no self confidence.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-15-2002, 02:17 PM
i'm hobbit kin and can't reach most people's heads so i wouldn't know.

KungFuGuy!
01-15-2002, 02:21 PM
Heheh, well it's not like he was a nerd and I attacked him. That was actualy my first real fight. I was walking in to school (late) and outa nowhere I get bodychecked into a locker. I pushed the guy back into the other side of the hall, and then he suggests that we go outside and "settle this". I don't even know who this guy is, I had no idea why he would run me into the locker. I wanted to rip his face off, but he had about 10 other people with him who looked like they might jump in. I told the guy to f*ck off and went to class. After school as I went to my car, he followed me with 2 friends, and I knew I couldn't get out of it this time. I charged right at him, punched him twice in the head, and kneed him in his huge stomach, flooring him. His buddies didn't know what to do, and luckily they didn't attack me. I got in my car and took off, and never heard from the guy again :D

Ralek
01-15-2002, 02:24 PM
I punched shaolin Tiger in the face in a challenge match. He was a former opponent of Marvin Perry the champion of san shou. I did not break my hand but there was a rectangular slit in the shape of a tooth inbetween my knuckles and it was bleeding. He was spitting out blood from the punch.

I fight lot's of san shou champions and former opponents of them all the time and i have never broken my hand.

diego
01-15-2002, 02:24 PM
GD,cool. im gonna go make friends with a nerdy fat guy with no self confidence.UNDOOBATABLEE

Jeff Liboiron
01-15-2002, 02:27 PM
i've punched people in the face, i did not hurt my hand.

I don't think i'd wanna try hittin somebody in the forehead with a closed fist though.

logic
01-15-2002, 02:28 PM
KungFuGuy! Your knuckles must be like Pan Qing Fu's

Yes,several times,and never hurt my fist. If you punch correctly with the first 2 knuckles it shouldn't hurt that much.
But never say never. There is always a chanch of really hurting your fist.
Just look at Mike Tyson, he broke his hand when he got in a fight on the street.

SanShou Guru
01-15-2002, 02:35 PM
ralek you have only fought one san shou person. By your own admission you did not win the fight (I remember your post on Shaolin Tigers last post before his break). Shaolin Tiger did not fight Marvin Perry but Marvin's teammate Robert Bouyer who won the National title that year.

I figured you always try to be accurate so I thought I would help you out.

Ralek
01-15-2002, 02:40 PM
Yes but shaolin tiger did not win either. It was a draw becuase there was this suspicious looking security guy with a walkie talkie so we had to stop fighting and good thing we stopped becuase a few minutes later there was a bicicle police men that rode right by us. Shaolin Tiger said that he would sue the city of Frederick if they arrested him.

I would have won the fight if there were not rest breaks becuase he was getting tired. My strategy was to let him gas while i just defend his punches and kicks. And it was working but we had to stop becuase of suspicious people so it was a draw.

Water Dragon
01-15-2002, 02:41 PM
I broke my hand on some guys cheek bone when I was 15. Reverse punch from Karate.

SevenStar
01-15-2002, 02:45 PM
never broke mine. I think that that's all in the technique of the punch. which knucks you hit with, was it a proper fist, etc. There is something called a "boxer's break" which is where the pinky and/or ring fingers break because they threw a punch and hit with the wrong knucks. I think a hook punch is the most common case of this break.

I know many MA use the hard/soft rule though - a soft part of the hand is used to hit a hard part of the body. A hard part of the hand is used on a soft part of the body.

Daniel Madar
01-15-2002, 02:49 PM
I have punched someone in the face and their cheekbone broke, does that count?

Mutant
01-15-2002, 02:56 PM
ralek, by your own description of the event, you were sparring, not fighting and it sounds as though you guys were taking it easy on eachother, just a friendly match. so big ****ing deal if thats all your experience, thats not much to brag about.

now why would you insist on only fighting people in that same park, if it was a terrible place to fight the first time with security and cops patroling?

if you really want to destoy kung fu, which i think is a commendable challenge, you should travel outside your little park to major cities, fight in places where it won't be interupted, and insist on fighting to knock out or submission. I'm sure you'd find plenty of kung fu guys that will fight you to help you with your quest.

best of luck.

Ralek
01-15-2002, 02:58 PM
It was a draw. But i would have won on superior endurance alone becuase he was getting tired and I wasn't tired at all. My endurance was better.

Mutant
01-15-2002, 03:03 PM
r/e punching people in the face:
yes, unfortunatly have had to...and no never hurt hand.

Chris McKinley
01-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Hi, my name is Chris...("hiiii, Chris")...and I'm a recovering head puncher. I've been in recovery for 10 years. For me, it started with casual sparring matches, and eventually moved into recreational use on the street. A couple of times, it got so bad that once I started punching some big bad dude in the head, I don't even remember what happened. It's like I just blacked out. I'd wake up all bloody and dizzy and my fist would hurt like hell, with the big dude just laughing at me and kicking me in the leg.

That's when I knew I had a problem. A friend of mine said he had the same problem but was now in recovery. He took me to a meeting where they taught simple physics and basic common sense. I'm proud to say I haven't punched a head since 1991. My friends say I'm doing palm strikes like I was chain smoking now, but hey...ya gotta do somethin.

Ray Pina
01-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Hardcore boxers have a hell of a time out of the ring because they are used to taped wrists.

Also, I know it is the most popular method, but hitting with the first two knuckles can lead to a broken wrist as well, if you come up short and grave your wrist can be snapped down, better the last two, up is better on the wrist.

Overall, I prefer the palm.

Crimson Phoenix
01-15-2002, 03:09 PM
If you punch right, the energy of the punch goes entirely into the target.
If your fist dissipates the energy in place of your target, then you punched wrong, and injury can happen...as 7* said, it's all a matter of technique. Whipping strikes help pretty much, they sort of "inject" the energy inside the target...but as Chris said, palm strikes are always safer no matter what and are always equal in efficiency (a good palm strike to the head can make the entire skull shake, teeth to brain)...

joedoe
01-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Punched people a few times in the head barefisted. Used the last 2/3 knuckles as well. Never had a problem - in fact, I find that the head almost feels soft when you hit it.

David Jamieson
01-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Yes, No, and same has happened to me.

The last two knuckles are not supported through the arm by the radia. the first two are.
the ring and pinky fingers aren't used on hard surface in the style I was taught.

They are used on soft tissue area.
Punching to the head, is not the same as punching to the face.
The structure of the bone around the facial area is thinner.
Teeth are problematic, you can get infected if one of them breaks your skin.

LOL@ Chris McKinley. I agree :D

peace

Johnny Hot Shot
01-15-2002, 03:35 PM
I have punched someone in the face and broke their nose.

I have also punched some one in the Head and broke my 5th metacarple (the bone behind my right pinky)

Face=soft

Head=Hard :D

wushu chik
01-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Yes. No.

straight blast
01-15-2002, 04:19 PM
Funny, I was just reminiscing about this one yesterday. Yes I have punched people in the face, several persons in fact, and no I've never had any breaks or difficulty with it. In high school (last senior year) I broke a guys nose but in the funniest way possible.

He gave me some crap, I gave it right back, and then he swung a huge haymaker at my head. I leaned back out of the way and returned said haymaker with a huge follow through. The catch is, I thought that I'd missed. So here I was, completely overextended, ribs, side of face, everything completely exposed & vulnerable. When I didn't feel pain explode over the open area, I quickly jumped back into a fighter's crouch.

He just looked at me, sorta stunned, and then blood just exploded from his nose like you would not believe. I've never seen anything like it. It's at this point that I notice that his nose is on a completely different angle to what it used to be. He covered it up & screamed out
"You big Ape!! Wook what youb dum to me!"

Upside? I didn't hurt my hand (didn't even feel the contact), and I got forever banned from art (Woohoo!)
Downside? Detention that I actually turned up to some of.

IronFist
01-15-2002, 04:48 PM
So the first two knuckles are stronger? Why then does Wing Chun punch with the bottom three?

Iron

guohuen
01-15-2002, 07:17 PM
LOL! Chris, I too am in fisticuffs anonymous and now only use conference approved strikes.
I don't hit people in the mouth because I value the skin on my hands.

Abstract
01-15-2002, 09:17 PM
Johnny Hot Shot..! I did the SAME thing...'bout 6 years ago...I broke the 5th metacarpel bone-right behind my pinky...i also broke SOMETHING on the guy i hit, felt a 'crunchy mush' as I hit him, then he dropped like a stone & didn't get up before i took off....

had to have surgery & 2 pins put in my hand to fix it too...now to this day i am PARANOID to break it again, & everytime it rains or there's an extreme drop in the temperature, my hand hurts like hell....*booooooooo*:( :mad: :(

diego
01-15-2002, 09:30 PM
would you say carllewis,or ben johnson,have more endurance,then say mike tyson,so from your totally backed scientifically assertion,tyson would get lumped,by a trackstar,with your amount of martial training experiance;that's quite interesting.Thanks for the info.

SifuAbel
01-16-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by logic
KungFuGuy! Your knuckles must be like Pan Qing Fu's

Yes,several times,and never hurt my fist. If you punch correctly with the first 2 knuckles it shouldn't hurt that much.
But never say never. There is always a chanch of really hurting your fist.
Just look at Mike Tyson, he broke his hand when he got in a fight on the street.

Ditto to logic and kung lek. Usually finished it before it really started. I also let go in sparring too much once and bent the guys teeth back into his braces through a mask and a mouthpeice. Not pretty and I felt awefull.

As to the wing chun question: I beleive it is done that way to make the short snap for the one inch punch. But for standard long punches top two are the way to go.

As for tyson, although very very powerfull, I think boxers tend to get used to the hand position when wrapped and gloved which leaves their hand open and the wrist slightly bent up.

KungFuGuy!
01-16-2002, 07:35 PM
Yeah that's true, I shouldn't say never. It still hurts when I punch something sharp (accidently) :D

Syre
01-16-2002, 07:41 PM
If you punch someone in the face, and they are bleeding, and their tooth cuts your hand, there is direct blood-to-blood contact.

There are several documented cases of HIV transmission due to such cuts.

Be careful.

PHILBERT
01-16-2002, 08:06 PM
I once b*tch slapped a guy in the face using the back of my hand. Didn't break it.