PDA

View Full Version : Wang Yuanqian

Shane_Madigan
01-16-2002, 12:06 AM
In the issue of JAMA that has Ilya Profatilov's article on the history of Plum Blossom Praying Mantis, there is mention of video footage of Wang Yuanqian performing the last three sections of the eight elbows form. This would be quite interesting to see. Has anyone seen this footage? Does anyone know how I might go about getting my grubby little hands on it? Thanks.

Tainan Mantis
01-16-2002, 04:53 AM
That tape is available from Panther Productions. It is called Shandong Survey.
I haven't seen Ilya's article, but you said,"...LAST three sections..."
I thought that was his entire form. Did he not do the first section?
That would explain why his beginning doesn't look like any other 8 Elbows form.

Does Ilya say if this is his teacher?

Old Mantis
01-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Shane_Madigan and Tainan Mantis,

Grandmaster Wang Yuanqian is my "shi ye" (my shifu's shifu). He is performing the last three sections of 8 Elbows form (Ba zhou).

GM Wang's 8 Elbows form (Ba zhou) as well as our style of Grand Ultimate Praying Mantis Boxing (Taiji Tanglang Quan) also called Plum Blossom Praying Mantis Boxing (Meihua Tanglang Quan) comes from GM Liang Xuexiang himself and is a direct family transmission style.

GM Song Zide (1855-1933/34 — GM Wang Yuanqian's grandfather) was PM kungfu brother of Jiang Hualong (1855-1924) and they used to teach PM together to GM Wang Yushan (1892-1976) who in his turn taught the complete system of PM to his son GM Wang Yuanqian.

GM Wang Yuanqian is one of my Shifu Ilya Profatilov's two primary Shifu.

Ilya Profatilov's first Shifu was Grandmaster Ma Hanqing (1920-1997). From Grandmaster Ma Hanqing we have a direct transmission of Six Harmonies Praying Mantis (Liuhe Tanglang) and a different branch of Plum Blossom Praying Mantis (Meihua Tanglang).

For more info please visit our website at http://prayingmantisboxing.com

Shane_Madigan,
I have the video tape which features Grandmaster Wang Yuanqian.
Write to me directly and maybe we can work something out.

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-16-2002, 09:30 AM
If anyone is interested I found the tape Shandong Forms Survey for sale at http://www.bambootemple.com/shaolinbrand/sx160105.htm

Shane_Madigan
01-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Thank you for your replies to this thread. I can't wait to see Wang Yuanqian in action!