PDA

View Full Version : CHEUNG KEUN of Choy Lee Fut

kei lun
01-16-2002, 08:55 AM
In Jeung Yimfs CLF there is one form called gCheung Keunh, not to be confused with gTit Jin Cheung Keunh of the Chan Family Style. This form seems to be a basic level form in the lines from Lau Bun, kind of a counterpart for Ng Lun Keun; and in the Buk Sing Style some schools that do have this form (usually the Lacey Family) consider it the top form of the style. Correct me if Im I got it wrong guys. Is there anyone who knows this form, or is from a school that does have it in their curriculum, and could tell me a little about it?

CLFNole
01-16-2002, 09:24 AM
I know that there is a form referred to as Che Kuen that is a counterpart to Ng Lun Choy. We don't have a Cheong Kuen in my lineage. We do have Tuet Tsin Kuen and Che Kuen.

Peace.

Eddie
01-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Kei Lun,
do a search on Cheung Kuen, we did have a similar post a good few months ago. If I recall, there were some very nice replies from people about this form.

I am looking at a book by Leo T Fong with the form. Very different to anything I know, but what it interesting, is that the beginning looks pretty similar to Che Kuen (even the opening sequence is the same).

I got this book from someone who baught it more than 30 years ago. Another interesting thing in this form is something called the "Eagle Beak Block". I did not really know about Eagle Beak block.

If i recall correctly, Sify Troy Dunwood gave allot of good info on the form. I would love to see the form being performed. I am not to good at visualising forms from books.

Fu-Pow
01-16-2002, 11:27 AM
To Sow Choy, Eddie and CLF Nole:

I really want to learn the Che Kuen Set. We've done it a couple times as a class, but Sifu doesn't really teach it individually. Its a long form and hard to remember. Do either of you guys have a video tape of the form you would be willing to send to me? I could probably ask Sifu Mak to make a tape of it, but if you guys already had one it would be much easier.

Email your response privately if you don't want to post a response here.

Thanks

CLFNole
01-16-2002, 11:47 AM
I don't tape my forms (I probably should though). I keep them all upstairs because I have a real good memory (Sow Choy can confirm). However as I get older (I'm turning 33 on Saturday) my memory may start to go so I'd better starting taping.

Peace.

Sow Choy
01-16-2002, 02:12 PM
Fu Pow,

Email me at: leekoonhungkungfu@hotmail.com

your email on your profile doesn't work.

Joe

RAIN
01-16-2002, 03:59 PM
come back to ping juen . i know the name comes from the second word of a revolutionary saying . do you know how is the sayng and his translation ? whats mean ping ?

Charp Chui
01-16-2002, 08:10 PM
Sow Choy,

I doubt if most anyone's e-mail work's on their profile. I can't even send myself and e-mail!

Charp Chui

JAZA
01-16-2002, 08:10 PM
I think that Ping means something like heaven or sky.(Cielo no se cual calza mejor).
Tai means high but in a different intention than Dai as said our friend Joseph.
If you search the forum you will find a previous discussion on it.

Fu-Pow
01-16-2002, 09:04 PM
ping means "level".

Siu Ping Kuen = Small Level Fist Form

Ping Jang Kuen= Level Elbow Fist Form

I'm not sure what the ping means historically.

CLFNole
01-16-2002, 09:18 PM
It can also be translated to Peaceful or Peaceful Fist. I was told it was kind of a code name back in the older times when CLF originated.

Peace.

As far as it being part of a revolutionary saying it goes something like Tai Ping Tien Gok ....

It is like eight words and there were supposed to be 8 CLF forms for each word.

kei lun
01-16-2002, 10:04 PM
The siu ping kuen refers to the incomplete form of ping kuen. In the Hung Sing school (jeung yim) there are 2 form openings, a short one and a extended one. The form Ping Kuen is supposed to use the long opening, but if you use the short opening it is called Siu Ping Kuen, cause it is smaller! The extended opening is on 3 of the 8 original forms of Hung Sing.

RAIN
01-16-2002, 11:27 PM
clf nole

according to master tat mau wong , the form have the name from the saying you mentioned . how is the complete saying and whats mean ? i can understand very well his english .
( because i am not a english speaker ) . is something like :
" believe in trainning , believe in peace for ten thousend years " .

so , maybe the translation of peaceful fist are more exactly that level fist , and of course more nice .

Eddie
01-17-2002, 04:56 AM
Fu Pow,
IMHO, Che Kuen is a great form. Although not as spectacular as the others, che kuen is very valuable as a martial arts form. It does hold allot of applications.

I was told by Sow Choy and CLFNole that the version I know is only the shortened one. Even so, it is a great form (not my favourite, but certainly a good form).

Someone once said that Grandmaster Lee koon Hung created this form. When i read that, I realised how Brilliant Master Lee Koon Hung really was. Maybe I am over emphasising, but I really think that che kuen is a good solid form, with allot of emphasise on the foundations and basics.

Sow Choy, I would still love to learn the complete form. If you are going to send fu pow a copy, please can you send me one too? I will pay you for it.

RAIN
01-17-2002, 10:55 AM
about che kuen , master tat mau wong introduce the form in his first new video of the distance learning program . i don't get the video , but i think is the only source available with the book of master lee koong hung . i 'd learn the form from the book . and i got a few questions about sounds :

- in the begginning when you make gwa choy , cheong ahn choy , yum chop choy combination , the sounds are " ha - sit - sit " or only " ha- sit " ?

- in the sow choys part : cum jerng is making with the sound " ha " ? and in butterfly palms when you turn you make the sound " yik " like in the beggining of siu muy fah ?

fu pow : how are the videos of master mak fai ? i got his artiicle about sup ji kau da kuen in inside kung fu and he looks like a terrrible fighter . i'd enkoy very much when he 'd tell when lee koon hung call him to show sup ji kau da kuen in a special occasion .

Fu-Pow
01-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Hi Eddie-

I'm not sure that Lee Koon Hung created this form. He may have revised or modified it, but it has a lot of similarity to the Ng Lun Chui form that other branches do.

As for the tape. You should email Sow Choy in private about that one!!!! :D LoL

So here is a question for the Lee Koon Hung Family.

If I know Ping Jang Kuen, Dai Sup Ji Kau Dah and Siu Ping Kuen, am I missing out on anything by not knowing Dai Ping Kuen? In other words are there any unique moves to the larger form?

CLFNole
01-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Fu-Pow:

There are some different movements in Dai Ping Kuen. Are you missing out on anything, that's debatable. Our family has a lot of individual hand sets (I know about 15) and when you break them down they all generally have the same techniques with something a bit different from the others thrown in. There are only so many ways to use chop choy, sow choy, gwa choy, etc...

Rain:

The Che Kuen you learned from Lee Koon Hung's book is a shorter version than the original and has a different ending. Lee Koon Hung changed the form slightly when he started teaching at the Hong Kong University.

Peace.

JAZA
01-17-2002, 04:02 PM
Sorry Rain "meti las patas de nuevo" with the traduction of Ping.
I confused my slow head whit the Tai Ping rebellion where the triads like y TIEN-TI-HOUEI Heaven(sky) and earth society participated.
I don't know if there s any connection with the name of the form and the rebellion.

Thousands sorries.

Troy Dunwood
01-18-2002, 11:45 AM
The Cheung Kuen or Long Fist Fist has been passed down through the teachings of Cheung Yim. This series is popular through the teaching of the late great Grandmaster Lau Bun, who operated the first Hung Sing Gwoon is San Francisco back in 1930. This series is usually taught after one has completed the traing of the Hung-Sing Horse Set and Flying Dragon Leg Manoeuvres. Long Fist is a basic boxing skills that re-enforces the training of stance, footwork, as well as the primary offensive and defensive hand work within the style. Also serving to loosen the shoulders and waist as well as promoting lightness and agility of steps. Within the Hung-Sing Gwoon curriculum as passed down by Prof. Lau Bun, Long Fist is the most important series because it serves as the solid foundation for future learning. Originally as stated by my Sifu, Lau Bun would teach this skill for about one year time to maximize such a strong foundation. The Hung-Sing students are very famous for their solid horse and strong basics, with time and patience this is what Cheung Kuen or Long Fist has to offer.

kei lun
01-20-2002, 07:12 AM
Thank you Mr. Dunwood for getting to my original issue. So is Cheung Kuen the first form in your school, or is the other one you mentioned (Horse Form) the first? Okay, Ifve heard from one side. Now is there anyone from one of the gLacey Familyh school, or other Buk Sing school that has this form and holds it at the highest level?

Troy Dunwood
01-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Cheung Kuen is taught after a student has learned the skills of Horse, Ten Great Fist(Attacking), Subduing Hands(Defensive),
Won Hop Kuen(Combination Fist), Fei Loong Gerk(Flying Dragon Leg Manoeuvres known as the Hung-Sing Footwork and Kicking set), then proceeding to Cheung Kuen or Long Fist.