PDA

View Full Version : Movies that make fun of your style

GrappleGirl
01-16-2002, 02:26 PM
I saw the comercial for that Kung Fu movie and was just curious how many of you felt about it. I know that many of you put in very hard work training just to have some HollyWood director make a big joke out of it. Thanks for your response in advance.

"GrappleGirl"

KungFuGuy!
01-16-2002, 02:33 PM
I don't think that the movie was meant to insult kung fu practioners. It actualy looks a little funny, just not funny enough to pay 8 dollars to see it.

KC Elbows
01-16-2002, 02:34 PM
I figure the director is just making fun of kung fu movies. I do that myself. I do kung fu, but I don't end up in life and death struggles with one-handed crime bosses who hold frivalous competitions in their island fortresses, I have never practiced cripple kung fu, never fought guys in ape suits, I'm not quite as loud in fighting as the movie guys, and I try my best to avoid sending my sister to the market through the worst part of the village so that she can get raped by skinny extras.

As a rule, that is.

Kuen
01-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Actually, I think the movie is making fun of Kung Fu movies not Kung Fu. Now as a grappler you should be pretty offended by the WWF...

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-16-2002, 02:37 PM
you'd have to have some severe faith issues in your style to take offence to a retarded looking comedy about kung fu.

Chang Style Novice
01-16-2002, 02:44 PM
You're just lucky Andy Kaufman isn't here, Grapplegirl! He'd show you what real wrestling is all about.

This is a joke - I saw a little bit of a documentary on Kaufman last week, including a segment where he beat up an obviously out-of-shape woman who weighed probably three times what he did, and another where Jerry whatsisname, the pro wrestler he harrassed allowed Kaufman to put him in a headlock, and once it was clear Kaufman had his hooks in as deep as he could, put him into a vicious side suplex that looked like it just about crippled the comedian.

Tigerstyle
01-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Hey, WWF wrestlers are phenomenal athletes! If anyone should be offended by pro wrestling, it's writers in general. Gotta be scraping the bottom of the barrel to get people that come up with those ideas. :eek:

GrappleGirl
01-16-2002, 02:59 PM
Thank you for your replys. I am glad to see that many of you are not offended. I honestly might be if I saw a jiu-jitsu movie mocking the sport that Iput so much effort into. On the other hand I would probably feel the same way you guys do about it thinking it was funny.

I was looking at the movie in a general public kind of way. The general public is not knowledgable on Martial Arts so when they see a movie like this they see it as .....yeah Martial Arts is a joke.

You guys train in the art so it is no big deal that they are making fun of it because you know the moves in the movie are a joke but like I said joe shmoe off the street is just laughing at Kung Fu.

"GrappleGirl"

shaolinboxer
01-16-2002, 03:06 PM
From my experience, the people who laugh the most at kung fu are kung fu practitioners.

Chang Style Novice
01-16-2002, 03:06 PM
"joe shmoe off the street is just laughing at Kung Fu."

I disagree. Joe Schmo off the street is laughing at a CGI cow fighting a person, or a guy whose chest has been punched clean through like a window, or a woman with one breast in the center of her chest, or the same guy from before using chinchillas for a weapon.

I don't think Mr. Schmo mistakes any of that for real kungfu.

Ray Pina
01-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Joe Schmoe doesn't know much.

Qi dup
01-16-2002, 03:07 PM
It doesn't both me any. I agree with everyone that it seems to just be making fun of Kung Fu movies. And even if it's making fun of kung fu, who cares? I saposed some people can dish it out but they can't take it. It doesn't matter to me what the public thinks. I didn't get involved with CMA for anyone but myself. people can think whatever. you can make fun of guns all you want, but I can still shoot you.

Ryu
01-16-2002, 04:38 PM
"As a grappler you should be offended by WWF"

"The only people who should be offended at WWF are writers.."

*cough* *cough*

:D

Ryu

Ralek
01-16-2002, 06:26 PM
I personally know people who think the Matrix movie was kung fu.

So i think it's safe to assume that people think that kung fu movies have kung fu in them dispite how unrealistic it may seem and dispite the fact that people are flying threw the air and doing dim mak.

Ralek
01-16-2002, 06:28 PM
But isn't dim mak a real kung fu move?

Kung fu is a joke in real life as well as in the movies.

There is a series of movies called the "Ultimate Fighting Championship" and kung fu is a serious joke in those movies. The only problem is that the UFC movies are not fiction.

Johnny Hot Shot
01-16-2002, 06:39 PM
Do you think GrappleGirl is a guy?

I place my bet on YES!

Ryu
01-16-2002, 06:41 PM
GrappleGirl is a woman, and she's posted for a long time on the Underground, Mousel's, etc. I've talked to her on many occasions, and have seen pics. :)

She's for real.

Ryu

old jong
01-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Someday there will surely be a movie about dumd BJJ'ers f.a.r.ting in eachothers faces!...Rumb and Rumber?...:rolleyes: I can't wait for this one!;)

Johnny Hot Shot
01-16-2002, 07:08 PM
You go GrappleGirl

JasBourne
01-16-2002, 07:15 PM
GG is the real deal.

Though why she hangs out with those blathering nitnoids over at the Otherground is beyond me. That place is absolutely crawling with teen boys and older guys who simply never grew out of that stage. *shrug*

Ryu
01-16-2002, 08:03 PM
My kingdom for a woman with the mindset and sarcasm of Jas. :D

Ryu

Brad Souders
01-16-2002, 09:06 PM
GG long time no chat. Full of BS

Budokan
01-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Rolls, the only real problem is that you are NOT fiction.

Asia
01-16-2002, 11:31 PM
If you can't laugh at yourself then you have issues.

I am in the military and I laugh my but off at military movies. Hell on exercises and deployments a favorite past time of soldiers is watching Utlra Uber Spec Ops Delta Force Ninja killer movies and rolling with laughter. Although I have proven a man CAN fire a M60 with one hand it is NOT a good idea and not very accurate!! You should have seen the range clear out. NOONE want to be on the firing line when I did this, but I won a case of beer for it, suckers!!!

GrappleGirl
01-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Yes I am really a woman... Or I think anyway. Thanks everyone for your opinions I was just curious how many of you felt about it because I know many of you train very hard and take your Martial Art serious.

Good luck to everyone train hard:)

http://www.grapplegirl.com

"GrappleGirl"