PDA

View Full Version : What would you charge???

Godzilla
01-16-2002, 03:09 PM
I am thinking about placing an ad in the phone book and mailing out flyers for Martial Arts training in NYC.

What can I charge for:
1 hour private lesson
1 hour private lesson once a week for 3 months
3 hour seminar on self defense
3 hour seminar on self defense one day a week for 3 weeks

I need to supplement my income. Trying to do something I enjoy, as well as help people. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Godzilla

Aramus
01-16-2002, 03:56 PM
This is hard to say. I live in Ohio and I know they charge different prices in differnt areas (Dublin, Westerville, Columbus, Worthington...usually similar prices depending on the place...Columbus is usually cheaper while New Albany and the like are more expenive because it is a "richer" area). I'm pretty sure that New York would charge different prices than Ohio.

You might want to just call some places (or look them up on the internet) to compare prices. You also have to consider that you might or might not have a full facility to train people in and stuff. You also would want to consider your style and what you are teaching compared to those around you. You could also use it for "business" expenses if you start a legitament business. You can write off meals, gasoline, and equipment you buy for your business. Check your chamber of commerce for information on that and free advertising. They can give you lots of info. Beware of the laws in your state which may restrict your activities or potential business.

Just some thoughts. Hope this helps.

Peace.

Godzilla
01-17-2002, 07:55 AM
Great food for thought! I will do all of the above. I am thinking of starting a humble private instruction MA service to suppliment my income. I am going to make a flyer and solicit the local businesses. I am thinking of charging $40 per hour for private one on one. I think i can find business with seminars for companies whose employees travel a lot or whose staff stay late. Just don't know what to charge for that.

I will be teaching punching, kicking mostly. Students will get to hit me in the chest (i will wear my TKD chest protector). I will bring hand pads also for kicking and punching. Then i will teach simple joint locks (escape from choke, collar grab, arm grab, etc.). And finally escapes from bear hugs from behind. Nothing too exotic, just plain and simple self defense.

Anyone else have advice for a beginner in this field?

Thanks!
Godzilla