PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Palms ground fighting

imp_one
11-02-2000, 09:16 PM
I have a question for Hung Kuen practitioners. It's about the form Butterfly Palms. I've heard there is some ground fighting in the form. Does the form include semi-prone and kneeling stances to make the transition from standing to groundwork? Does it include stances with one knee and one foot down at the same time(like the "Fukien Ground Boxing" book)? These kinds of stances and methods are also found in silat, and I've heard they're very useful for fighting on slippery surfaces(ice, mud, etc.). I'm just wondering whether they can be found in the Butterfly Palms form itself.

Leopard
11-03-2000, 01:35 AM
Yes, Butterfly Palms does have a section which is used for ground fighting. But it is not Semi-Prone. The main purpose of the technique is to fight an opponent who is standing while you are on the ground. It is used to deflect kicks & Punches and to take down an oponent using a scissor technique (traping the leg).It has many other uses which I won't get in to. I personally find this technique extremely usefull and use it everytime I find myself being attacked by a standing opponent while im on the ground. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I hope that answers your question.