PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu ranks

nightwing_38116
01-16-2002, 03:59 PM
I was wondering how your teachers handle rank. My teacher (Ngor Chor / Five Ancestors Kung Fu) just has us wear sweats to class. No belts or anything. He believes that it can bring ego into play at times.

Stacey
01-16-2002, 04:10 PM
I don't think externals will bring about someone from investing too much into their own persona. They will still crave information and desire power. Not bad, but without structure, check and balances, your school will rise and fall like so many others. There really is no avoiding it. Shaolin had a good run because the focus was on buddism and not kung fu. Highly spiritual people are less likely to become swallowed by imperminent things. You will get your bad eggs, they will be there to haunt you. Shaolin had them, they burned the place down every so often. Deal with it. As long as people are improving their lives, it will be worth teaching and passing on.

Look at tkd, it thrives on rank. everyone coppies Kano because it provides structure. More confusion than taoist, but if the shoe fits, wear it.

joedoe
01-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Who is your sifu? Just curious cos I train Ngor Chor as well and am wondering if we are from the same line.

nightwing_38116
01-16-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Who is your sifu? Just curious cos I train Ngor Chor as well and am wondering if we are from the same line.

My teacher is Tom Strong who is a disciple of Matser John Graham who was a disciple of our late Grandmsater Chee Kim Thong.

joedoe
01-16-2002, 09:04 PM
I was also a disciple of the late Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong. I currently study under his son James Chee.

Always good to get in touch with others from the same line :).

We follow Grandmaster Chee's ranking system, however most people don't really put much store in the belts. They are there, but people recognise ability before belts.

How is your training going?