PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropy and the Martial Arts

Sam Wiley
01-16-2002, 04:28 PM
In a great many reported cases of lycanthropy, better known as Werewolfism, the accused were said to have used "black magic" to unleash their inner beast, transforming their outer appearance, and to have committed acts of terror that no normal man would. There were certain Viking warriors who donned the skins of wolves and bears and ingested powerful hallucinogenic and psychotic substances in order to achieve the same, and they utilized this inner beast to fight in battles, often fighting so furiously it is said that they killed many men and yet came out unharmed themselves. The enemies' weapons "would not bite." In some peoples with shamanic traditions, animal totems are found for people to empower them with the spirit of the animal.

The theory of the Triune Brain, which states that we have three levels of our brain, Reptilian, Mammalian, and Human, is very much related to this phenomena. The specific section we are concerned with here is the Reptile Brain, the Brain Stem, consisting of the medulla oblongata, the pons, and the mesencephalon. It controls motor, sensory and reflex functions. The pons is a liaison between different parts of the brain and facilitates coordination between left and right sides of the body as well as those of the face and jaw. The medulla oblongata connects the brain and spinal cord, and controls several involuntary functions such as heartbeat, breathing, and temperature regulation. The mesencephalon, or midbrain, controls some seeing and hearing reflexes. The reptilian brain is concerned with survival; fight, flight, or reproduction.

What does this have to do with lycanthropy? In the sense of shape-shifting and "black magic," nothing at all. But when it comes to the mind-state of animals, it means a lot.

According to Erle Montaigue, in his book Advanced Dim-Mak: The Finer Points of Death-Point Striking , after he published information on the Triune Brain and its relevence to martial arts training, a man wrote him, claiming that he had "...visited a part of Borneo where a native priest was able to place young men into trances that caused them to be like wild boars and allowed them to enter their reptilian brains. This was a rite of manhood, and it's purpose was to enable the young men to understand the animal world by becoming animals themselves." While in this mind state, the young men were able to eat things deadly to humans with no ill effects, and supposedly do other things as well that were not listed, though I expect them to be along the lines of legends of werewolves and Berzerkers, such as acts requiring improved strength and reflexes.

LaVey's essay, How to Become a Werewolf; The Fundamentals of Lycanthropic Metamorphosis; Their Principles and Their Application , begins, "Anyone is a potential werewolf. Under emotional stress civilized human qualities regress to basic animal reaction, and a threshold of potential physical change is reached." He then goes on to list requirements for metamorphosis, including a preparation phase which involves inducing extreme emotional changes, meant to alter the state of the mind enough to unleash the power of the reptilian brain. The emotional triggers he lists as causing this altered state are the three principle emotions of sex, sentiment, and wonder. Which correspond to reproduction, fight, and flight repectively.

Now, we in the martial arts are able to enter this mind state without the outside aid of a shaman or drugs, and we only need to touch upon the emotional aspects LaVey focuses on.

Physically, we affect postural changes which allow us to enter the reptilian brain. A slight widening of the eyes, drawing the ears back, bowing the back, hollowing the chest, spreading the fingers, opening and sitting the kuas, etc. These things are all done to bring Yang energy up so it can be utilized, especially things like spreading the fingers.

The written Classics passed down to us by past masters, like, Chiang Jung-chiao, tell us to do specific physical things. We are told to move like a dragon, gaze like a monkey, sit like a tiger, and overturn like the eagle. Stuck in there with instructions for movement, are instructions for what to do with the eyes. For those who practice animal forms, watch a television special on monkeys, and the next time you practice your monkey form do with your eyes what the monkey does with his. Remember when you change directions, to look out of the corner of your eyes before moving in that direction without turning your head. If you pull your ears back (provided you can) a bit, do so.

Also on the physical level, we train in natural flowing movements so that they become second nature to us, programming our reptile brain to use those movements instead of others. Have you ever finished a good session of double push hands and felt your arms wanting to move on their own? Have you ever finished your forms practice and can't remember practicing your form, though you know you've done it, or felt like you left movements out and remembrance of them seems more like a dream than actually remembering? Those are signs that indicate that the "internal" part of your art is coming to bear. Here, we are turning control of the body momentarly over to the part of the brain that controls reflexes.

Mentally, we clear the mind of extraneous thought as we train the body to move without concious command, as thought is a hindrance to reflex action and instinct. If you put your hand in an open flame, you can force yourself to keep your hand there despite the pain. But if you simply get too close to the flame accidentally, or brush up against a hot coal or something, your body reacts instantly without thought, and the reptile brain, controls your movement, bypassing the concious mind.

The two emotions that seem to stimulate the quickest physical response are fear and aggression. When surprised or already fearful, we tend to react lightning fast without thought. The same thing happens when we are in an aggressive or angry mood; we react without thought. When we are born, we already have certain subconcious defensive actions. Generally, they do not have any real defensive capability. Things like cowering and putting your hands in front of your face only attempt to minimize physical damage. They do not neutralize the attack. These things are what we react with when we are fearful or aggressive. But these movements can be deprogrammed out of our system, or at least written over with useful movements. And that's where the martial arts come in.

We train in certain methods designed to replace useless or ineffective movement with useful movement. Training methods such as push hands are an example. For instance, we train in the Plough method of push hands to turn a cowering movement where we simply raise the hands to cover the face, into an aggressive reaction where we thrust the hands forward into the attacker's throat.

A side note here: I was teaching a student the Yang Taiji San Shou two man set, and we came to the neutralize and push section. I was describing what the movement was used for and demonstrated, and then asked him to do the movement to the attack I was going to do. He reacted with the opening method of Plough push hands, barging in and thrusting his hands into my throat! He apologized... but I was ecstatic!

We can't just train these methods without the proper mindset. We must be doing the right things physically to access the reptile brain. This includes clearing the mind of concious thought. Thought is a hindrance between the subconcious and movement, and eliminating it opens the door both ways, so that we can both react quicker with proper defenses, and program better movements for reactions. In Taiji, this kind of training comes to bear later on, when we begin practicing the San Shou set with the movements out of sequence. By the time we begin doing this, we are supposed to have already started actually trying to strike our partner with full power during the set. So a proper reaction is necessary.

To deal with the emotional part of this, we should focus more on harnessing the reaction caused by fear than anger. Aggression can easily come from either in an instant, but striking someone out of anger is not really a good thing. To incorporate this into our training, we should incorporate a sort of "hide-and-seek" method. Many now train with hard contact to get used to hitting and being hit, and also how to handle someone who knows how to fight. Self-defence courses now include training to turn fear into aggression. We've all seen the training with the oversized helmet for rape defence classes. These things are necessary for learning how to handle real situations and how to utilize emotion instead of being hindered by it. However, I feel that the final test given to students of this kind of training should not be a one-time thing. I think that test, or something similar, should be incorporated into training. I have experimented with a friend of mine, though he does not know it, and have taught him a few blocking and attack techniques with no obvious connection to each other, the Bagua square stopping method being the main one. Over a period of 6 months after teaching him these methods, I would attack him "out of nowhere," and most times he would react with a proper block or strike. He has gotten so good at blocking now that I can rarely get in for a strike. I believe that this sort of conditioning or reaction training should be a little more serious in that fear and/or surprise should be a factor, with the trainee thinking he might actually be hurt if he doesn't react with something good. Personally, I tell my students to actually try and strike me during training so I can get this kind of training. I have found that certain techniques just happen for me, and that certain target areas are natural for me to aim for.

Sam Wiley
01-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Hang on, I'm not done with this thing! Give me a few minutes to post the rest!

Dang character limits!:mad:

Sam Wiley
01-16-2002, 04:43 PM
Now, on top of this, LaVey writes, "snort, snarl, roar, grunt -make all the unsavory sounds you want." I have trouble getting this across to people for some reason, but the breath must be in harmony with the movement. If the movement is violent, so must trhe breath be. And I say that if you are doing an animalistic movement, it is okay to sound like an animal. I do not mean to neigh like a horse or cry like an eagle. I mean that you should not be afraid to make animalistic noises. Some people try to hold their breath or otherwise control it, and therefore cannot acheive power or gain access to the reptile brain. That is why doing so is frowned upon in the Classics.

As well, LaVey writes, "As you progressively become more imbued with the sensation of being an animal, you will actually feel certain areas of your body responding in an manner alien to human anatomy. Your legs will become haunches. Your arms will become forelimbs for claws or paws that crave to grasp at the nearest thing. Your countenance will change. Your facial muscles will begin to twitch into beastial grimaces. All of your senses will become more acute." These things sound to me like descriptions of sitting the kua or "sitting like a tiger," the Dragon Palm and Eagle Claw, and the intent being expressed through the eyes and the facial expression, which is something many masters are noted for exhibiting, such as Yang Shao-hou, who was said to go from contentment to anger, and from quiet breathing to shouting, from slow and graceful movements to movements like a cannon shot. And using the reptile brain, the senses become more acute, especially while using the "monkey gaze," or what we call Eagle Vision, and the slightest movement or sound is very annoying.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this thing seems disjointed or incoherent, as it was interrupted several times. But in a nutshell, this is why I mentioned LaVey's writings on Lycanthropy.

01-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Jesus-mary-josseph, is this last years term paper!
:confused:

Serpent
01-16-2002, 05:25 PM
Good stuff, Sam - thanks!

Cody
01-16-2002, 05:45 PM
Some of it is not unfamiliar. Got my interest. I'm going to give it a good read later. Thanks for an interesting post.

Cody

brucelee2
01-16-2002, 08:10 PM
Good post, Sam. On that note, I'm off to go see Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent".

Black Jack
01-16-2002, 08:42 PM
It's hard to describe here but the closet I have seen to that are the fighters at the Green Dragon Temple in Chicago.

The methods and training in Chi Dao Ch'uan was very focused on not just moving like an animal but the spirit aspect was stress highly by full contact bare knuckle blood matches and specifc mediations.

I myself, tend to make primal growls when confronted by danger or when I am suprisied or aggressive, sounds weird but I still do it to this day, either it was always their or the training let it out and it stayed.

It does have benefits.

apoweyn
01-17-2002, 07:35 AM
nice topic sam.

i'm a relatively new student of psychology, so i daresay that there are people here with a better take than mine. that said, your post puts me in mind of something i was reading for class a while back.

essentially, what it was saying is that sometimes we act and appear in a way that is inconsistent with our internal state. no big revelation there. we all know people who, for example, seem very happy-go-lucky on the outside, then we come to find out that they're actually a bit depressed. or we see people who appear to be extremely self confident, but if we get to know them, we discover that they have at least as many self doubts as anybody else.

anyway, on some level, we're aware of that discrepancy. and we seek to reconcile it. it seems logical that someone feeling depressed would change their behavior to reflect that fact. yeah? but, apparently, the opposite is very often true. the mind recognizes that the body is doing something different, so the mind changes to be in sync with the body. that means that we have a mechanism for engineering our moods and mindsets (to some degree).

that's probably no big surprise to a lot of martial artists though. if you think about it, much of what we do is designed to create a certain mindset using physical action. it's one of the benefits of forms training (move with focus and you'll feel more focused).

it makes sense, then, that if a fighter recognized the value of being more ferocious, or more agile, or more precise, or more tricky, then he'd identify physical models of those attributes. and when he emulated those models, there would be a discrepancy in the mind. 'i'm acting ferocious, but i don't feel ferocious.' but in time, the mind would move to close that discrepancy, and would actually become more ferocious.

animal gung fu practitioners use this tactic, to my mind. even rickson gracie uses this tactic. in an interview i read, he talks about visualizing himself as a cat in order to feel more agile, flexible, quick, etc.

stuart b.

GeneChing
01-17-2002, 10:06 AM
I made a sword for Lavey back in my sword making days. He was quite a character. His checks read something like "C of S." I sold him a skull dagger and made a shamishir for him.

An intriging topic, this. I have a hard time distinguishing between lycanthropy vs. something like familiars or animal spirit guides here. Certainly we are to take on the characteristics of animals if we practice imitation boxing, but I want to be able to use my dragon fist at times when there isn't a full moon, if you get my drift. It just gets too mystical...

Sam Wiley
01-17-2002, 12:59 PM
I think what Apoweyn mentioned is one of the best reasons for practicing the animal styles. Mental or emotional imbalances can be balanced. That might happen with other styles anyway, but it would probably be easier to focus on the part that needs fixing with an animal style that focuses specifically on that aspect.

I've heard things about the Green Dragon Society that make their training sound more hardcore than anyone who just says, "I train HARDCORE, MAN!" I've heard that they make students fight full contact one against many for rank tests and stuff like that. If this is true, then those guys definitely have tapped into animal spirit.

Gene,
Even Michael J. Fox learned how to do it without the full moon!;)

Martial Joe
01-17-2002, 01:04 PM
I only read the first part but that was cool...

apoweyn
01-17-2002, 01:43 PM
thanks sam.

the relationship between the mind and the body implied in martial arts was one of the big things that drew me to psychology in the first place.

Jimbo
01-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Sam:
Very interesting thread.
I have often wondered a bit about this myself. Such as when training the tiger one must not only perform movements but actually "become" the tiger to make it "alive" rather than dead imitation.
Or how some monkey stylists, after many years of practice, seem to actually become monkey-like in mannerisms.

On a different note, there are those who believe that lycanthropy can have to do with more of an external influence rather than accessing our ancient survival brain...i.e., inviting or becoming possessed by an evil or animal spirit, etc.

Certainly we can also learn much by observing wild animals, particularly the predatory variety, on TV. How the big cats stalk their prey with utmost patience. Or how even something as small as a mouse, if given no chance of escape, will turn and aggressively attack a fully-grown person with all its ferocity. And yes, such a single-minded determination for survival can make even a little mouse scary for most humans to deal with empty-handed.

Oftentimes when we have a single-minded determination and even adding in natural growling or animal sounds, it can help to focus and reduce fear. Similar to how the Japanese kiai is supposed to instantaneously fuse your spirit and purpose and focus all the energy into the attack without further hesitation or fear.
Jim

apoweyn
01-18-2002, 07:32 AM
i gotta bump this thing. there's some interesting stuff in here.

GeneChing
01-18-2002, 10:57 AM
That was one obscure reference and I'm embarrassed I understood it. Anyway, see where it got Mr. Fox in the end...

brucelee2
01-18-2002, 11:48 AM
This reminds me of something I read about Willem De Thouar's Kuntao Silat. There's a story that when William or his teacher was starting out his sifu required him to fight one of these little monkeys that were all over the place. He was very confident that he would kick the monkey's as$ but then the monkey went nuts/savage and was very difficult to defeat. So, part of this Kun tao silat training is to cultivate or contact, in my understanding, that innate savagery within all of us.

phantom
01-19-2002, 02:06 PM
Okay guys, I find this both interesting and a bit scary. Is it possible for this inner aggression to to get out of control when you do not want it to? If so, then is there any way to always keep it under control?

Paul
01-19-2002, 02:48 PM
The methods and training in Chi Dao Ch'uan was very focused on not just moving like an animal but the spirit aspect was stress highly by full contact bare knuckle blood matches and specifc mediations

that's pretty much how I remember it. I studied with the GDS for a year or so. Chi Tao Chuan is pretty cool. If nothing else I got over being afraid to get hit while I was studying there.

Is it possible for this inner aggression to to get out of control when you do not want it to?

I have kind of wondered about that myself in the past. After I left the GDS I got into 2 fights a couple of weeks apart. I could have avoided both of them and I was the first person to start swinging both times.

Sam Wiley
01-19-2002, 10:17 PM
One of the most important things we learn in the martial arts is Timing. On a physical level, we learn the right moment to act or react with our defense. If we are too soon, we will be defeated, and if we are too late, we already are defeated. We learn through our experiences along the road to mastery when and why to do things. This reptilian part of our conciousness only surfaces when we are sufficiently threatened. If you get into an argument with someone who is across the room from you, and both your tempers flare, you are not in immediate or life-threatening danger, and you are not going to enter this state of mind. If you are closer to the person, and the same situation ensues, you might, but it is because you now perceive the other person to be a threat to you. Still, you are unlikely to use physical force unless something about the other person says it is necessary. For many people, it actually takes a physical attack upon them before they can recognize that they are in danger. For some reason, they just do not recognize that they are in danger, perhaps because they have not trained as realistically and violently as they need to and so they perceive everything to be a game.

As an example, I sometimes get hit in the face in push hands, or poked in the eye. And this is a training method most people think of as a peaceful sensitivity exercise. While it is a sensitivity exercise, it is not necessarily a peaceful or soft exercise. It can be done violently, and some of my favorite types of push hands are done with fa-jing, explosively and violently. Maybe other people should expand their repetoire of push hands to include more violent types, so that they have a balance of violent and not violent in their training. From what I understand, people with healthy sparring regimens do not have this kind of problem. They are exposed to enough violence that they can differentiate between when they need to be violent and when they don't.

In any case, there are some people out there who I believe should refrain from training in entering this state of mind. The thing is, that these people are constantly living on the brink of this state all the time, and do not need it. They simply haven't evolved that far past it to have to train in accessing it, I guess; it just comes too naturally to them.

PhoenixPangaryk
01-19-2002, 10:47 PM
[i]Is it possible for this inner aggression to to get out of control when you do not want it to? If so, then is there any way to always keep it under control? [/B]

Interesting thread. Based on my experience, Sam may disagree, it can easily get out of control. Back in the mid 1980's I was deeply involved with the type of methods Sam is discussing, although I did not understand so much about what I was doing. Later in life you read books, do research and BINGO the lights go off and you gain a credible understanding of the events that took place. Because I lived on the streets for a few years I had the unfortunate opportunity to get involved and witness severe examples of the 'beast' unleashed in raw rage in the form of fighting. I have observed extreme brutality in the form of people actually attempting to kill one another - for real - and not really thinking about death as the result of their actions; but to the observer who is feeling and seeing what was happening - death surrounded and encapsulated the individuals and on one occasion a man died of his injuries. Others were sent to the hospital and in the extreme cases - they were in coma states for several weeks until they came back.

None of these individuals were trained in martial arts. Since those mid 80's, I have attempted to learn about this dark beast; this connection to raw man that some when they hit the 'fight' switch tap into. I myself am 'victim' to the raw, animal, reptilian connection when fear or rage sets me off. Others 'flight' under severe stress - I go nuts and people get hurt. This 'going nuts' mind you is very controlled in its moment and very calculating for me. Time stands still and I enter a tunnel where all existence ceases until the threat is banished, by whatever means necessary. Once the threat diminishes I return back 'out of the tunnel'. This tunnel I enter into has only happened when fear and rage have provolked me to act against an intruder. This level of connection is rare and I do not get to that level in normal ritual, healing, animal workings. I do establish a connection but it is never as deep as it was in the 80's. That would require a second source of provocation that I do not bother delving into any longer. I know it is there.

That was years ago.

MA training has allowed me to harness this, but it is only after recognizing that these aspects of me did not make me evil - they made me whole. I was out of balance but I came to study and research why I was this way under severe stress and it was simply a primitive survival instinct for me. No thought attachments to the destruction these forces cause - they just are. It is through the acceptance and awareness of such personal connections that you can better understand why and where it comes from. Not by having a shrink say your nuts - some are, but most are not. I was not insane - but the things I did and the way I reacted could be viewed as such if you did not understand the human condition. There is no patterns or structures in this realm - it is a collage of unadulterated energy that is very raw and very pure. Not to be judged, it just is. Now, we all understand about good Vs evil - this is not good Vs evil. This is about energy in a raw sense of the definition.

Anyway, in a nutshell, yes it can be harnessed, but it is very difficult to harness it if you do not know it by experiencing it and feeling its power flow through you. It takes immense pressure and commitment to establish this connection and unfortunately, it is difficult to establish in its purity. It can be done. Once you feel it, you come to believe, then you come to understand and it is not easily spoken in words. Of most importance here is that you understand this raw connection is not only dark energy. It can be used for very productive healing, ritual aspects. Sam can perhaps elaborate more on this.

Phoenix

Stacey
01-19-2002, 11:37 PM
best post ever on KFO. Congrats.

Wow, where to start. Taoism is basically the continuation of shamanic beleifs. They are latent within the practices, but not the religion of our chinese martial arts.

This got me interested. Through psycology we can visualize winning. Through shamanic trance, we can become animals. What about the power of myth. The Baba Yaga, Kali/Shiva evergies that are related to but inherently different than the animal nature.

In order to find balance in my own life I have been reading a lot of Marrion Woodman who does a lot with Robert Bly. Anyways, they talk about unifying the masculine and femenine energies within the shadow for greater clarity and reality in life. Seems to make sense, very daoist stuff in that.

I'm wondering how such mythical/dream work that works direcly with your body can provide another link to the physical. I'm getting vague here, but bear with me. You wake up from a dream with strong archetypes feeling, good, poised, balanced. When you don't have these dreams, your daily life becomes the dream your subcontious wishes to express. By cleaning out the garbage, or diving into the dark pool, can we get Finn's golden salmon of wisdom to empower us as martial artists and as people?

Sam Wiley
01-19-2002, 11:44 PM
Phoenix,
It sounds like you have experienced what I call "internal thought," pure and focused, and formless, and ruthless, and totally dominating.

Qi is kind of like water, conforming to whatever vessel (intent) it is poured into. Without getting into qi vs. jing here...your qi is harmful if your intent is to harm, and it is beneficial if your intent is to heal. It just depends on what you want to do with it. As has been stated before, it is easy to harm people. It does not require that much effort to learn how to harm someone. You don't even really need martial arts to do that. It is, however, much harder to learn to heal people. The reason is that healing requires genuine compassion. It is easy, on the one hand to generate destructive emotions about people you know, and it is just as easy to generate destructive emotions about people you do not know. While it is fairly easy to feel genuine compassion for someone you know, many find it difficult to feel genuine compassion for people they don't know. I could write all night on this subject and only scratch the surface, so I'm just going to recommend a book by His Holiness the Dalai Lama called, The Four Noble Truths , which goes into insightful detail about this subject and more.

Anyway, one of the best medicines is simply touch. We all have an innate ability to heal with our presence, with our hands, with a kiss, etc. One of the things we learn to do while learning to access this primitive brain, is to transfer energy. Energy is best transferred when there is no concious thought, and the process is all-natural. Visualization is there in the beginning of our training to get the motor started. But it should progress to a more natural state, something that happens automatically. You exchange love between yourself and your spouse without a word or a thought, same with a dog or a cat; it's just a natural energetic exchange. When a loved one is sick or down, for some reason, you reach out and touch them. When your dog is sick, you pet him. You don't think to yourself that if you touch them here or there, you can rebalance the energy or pacify a liver condition or whatever. You just reach out and touch them. These things are done by the reptile brain. Remember when I said it was concerned with survival? That doesn't just apply to your survival, but to your loved ones' survival. I prefer to think that the reptile brain is there to preserve a balance in the universe period. It can heal to maintain a balance or insure survival, and on the other hand it can kill to maintain balance or insure survival. A hammer can be used to drive nails, or it can be used to drive someone's skull in. It's a tool. And the reptile brain, though I often speak of it in terms of self-defense, is also a tool. And a tool can be neither good nor bad, just like qi can be neither good nor bad. It's pure and neutral.

I think that made sense, anyway.

David Jamieson
01-20-2002, 12:44 AM
Sam, have you ever heard of mi-de-wawin?

peace

Sam Wiley
01-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Guohuen,
Good point. I think the wisdom mind's control over it comes naturally with the training. While in the beginning it may seem a little difficult to come back out of it, eventually, it becomes easier. I think the continuing threat factor has a lot to do with it, though. If the person is still a threat, still trying to attack, you will not just slip out of it. But if you have him locked up or put down or he runs or whatever, you will naturally slack off. You might maintain dominance, but you are not going to keep trying to maim or cripple him. Conciously, I might still want to, but of course, my concious mind is not in control then. While I have had times when I did not simply slip into the reptile brain, it took taking a punch to make me change states, there was only one time when I did not come out of it easily. The difference was that in that case, the guy I was fighting, who had moved out of range, was simply waiting for an opportunity, and when he took it I was still in the reptilian state. Every other time, when the opponent backed off, I came out of it. But even in that one instance, once he put his hands down and said he didn't want to fight any more, I came back.

Kung Lek,
I don't believe I'm familiar with the term. What is it in English?

David Jamieson
01-20-2002, 09:56 PM
It's an Anishinabe (Ojibbwa) word meaning "mystical doings".

Very interesting in context to martial arts. I've been involved with it since about 90.

Two really great teachers who pop in and out of my life at times when their teaching is needed.

One esoteric thing in my life that still keeps me quite curious.

peace

Sam Wiley
01-20-2002, 10:02 PM
Do you mean physical or "dream" teachers? I've had both.

guohuen
01-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Good thread Sam. I have the same experience with going "In and out". Perhaps it's because we train with a "sense of enemy". I also think your wisdom mind has been tested under extreme duress as you seem to be able to trust it.
Toney

David Jamieson
01-21-2002, 12:43 PM
Not dream teachers, they are bonafide in the flesh folks.

I know what you mean though. I was just curious if you had ever heard of or had any dealings with the Shamans and elder teachers of the americas in your journeys.

peace

Stacey
01-21-2002, 06:44 PM
I have a dream herbal teacher. She teaches me about herbs while I sleep. At first I got sick and started bleeding from the mouth, but thats because my chinese wasn't very good and I misunderstood her. She said it was ok because my evil former self was making way for my original nature.

Kiasyd
01-24-2002, 06:36 AM
Awesome post, Wiley, as usual :)

Continuing the subject: I think that the main goal of Martial Arts is to acquire control of the reptile brain... Perhaps "control" is the wrong word, i think there is a better expression to this, something like "riding with the wolf".

Heh, I love lycanthropy :)

--Kiasyd

phantom
01-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. Peace.

Sam Wiley
01-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about "control" of it, but definitely learning to tap into its power and utilize it in the best possible way. I think that's where martial arts training helps. We might learn to tap into it otherwise, but not learn what to do with it, and the techniques, methods, and philosophies of the martial arts give us a guideline as to how to use it. Also, I think the martial arts, being what they are, help us to keep this part of ourselves instead of losing it. I don't think that we could ever actually "lose" the reptile brain, just the ways to access and utilize it. I understand that some schools of meditation teach how to acces it, but do not present any methods of utilization.

I read a really good book a few years ago called The Wolf's Hour , by Robert R McCammon, about an underground agent in World War II who was a werewolf. Once he left his pack, he had to reintegrate himself into society and find ways of integrating what he was into his daily life. He served as a British agent (if I remember), and changed into a wolf to fulfill his missions while keeping his identity a secret. That part of him was always just under the surface, never forgotten.

I think it's important to keep our primitive parts of our conciousness close to us. Not only are they important for our survival, like the backups for a hard drive, or an early warning and self-defense mechanism, but they are also the doorways to important lessons for life and our key to unlocking our potential.

apoweyn
01-24-2002, 12:54 PM
sam,

funnily enough, i just finished reading that book.

stuart b.

Kiasyd
01-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Heh, I know this book but never actually had the opportunity to read it. Maybe this is a good time to do this! :)

-- Kiasyd

Sam Wiley
01-24-2002, 04:40 PM
That's one of my favorite werewolf books, at least as far as fiction goes. Another one, not quite as good, but interesting nonetheless, is WerewolveSS , about a modern day SS consipracy. I believe it's by Jerry and Sharon Ahern, though I could be mistaken. I can't find my copy of it.

You may be able to find at your public library, a book called The Saga of the Volsungs: The Norse Epic of Sigurd the Dragon Slayer . I don't know how many translations there are, but the one I have is translated by Professor Jesse L. Byock. There's a section in it detailing how a couple of the characters became werewolves. The account is closer to actual historical records of werewolves, involving wolf skins and magic. This is one of my favorite books of all times. I highly recommend this one. (Why do I feel like LeVar Burton is going to introduce the next post now?):p

For those really interested in historical accounts of werewolves, there are several good books available that discuss a man named Peter Stumpf. There is one, the title and author of which I can't for the life of me remember, almost totally dedicated to him, and even reprints old woodcuts detailing his crimes, how he became a werewolf, how he was captured, tried, and tortured to death. I haven't seen a copy in about 15 years or so, but it is a good book. Stumpf is one of the only actual historically documented cases. If you do a subject search in your library's card catalog (or whatever the modern equivalent is), you should be able to find information about him.

Kiasyd
01-24-2002, 08:04 PM
Yes, I read WerewolveSS, a long time ago. Great book!

I stumbled on a review of this norse saga, but I havenīt found it yet, it looked ver interesting... And also, if Iīm not mistaken, Joseph Campbell has some nice ( not very deep, though ) works on werewolf folklore.

-- Kiasyd