PDA

View Full Version : Northern - Southern

David Jamieson
01-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Who does what?

Is your style one of the more well known, or less known styles?

Have you trained long?

Do you teach?

peace

Xebsball
01-16-2002, 09:01 PM
I do a northern style, Ying Jow Pai

I think its well known

8 months

I tried to teach my cousin a lock but he didnt understand

David Jamieson
01-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Where do you learn Eagle Claw?

peace

joedoe
01-16-2002, 09:08 PM
I train Shaolin Wu Chu Chuan (Wuzuquan, Ngor Chor, etc). It is a Southern style.

It is well known in SE Asia, and only starting to become better known elsewhere.

I have trained for almost 15 years.

I teach, but poorly.

jon
01-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Ill help for this cause no problems...

Who does what?
Hung Ga

Very popular in certain parts of the world particualy Hong Kong and America.

Have you trained long?
Five years in my current system, so no not long.

Do you teach?
Only bits and bobs to interested parties, ive done enough different martial arts to teach people to fight but not enough of any one style to claim myself a teacher of it. Hence i dont teach classes and continue to learn my present system.
I would love to teach authentic traditional kung fu thats one of my ambitions.

How about your details Kung Lek, i would be interested in knowing some more about yourself?

Xebsball
01-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Well i learn... in my city, and the school is like 5 min from my apartament.

City: Caxias do Sul
State: Rio Grande do Sul

Shaolindynasty
01-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Who does what?
All the terminology was lost including the name when it imigrated from Taiwan to Brazil to USA. In my class I just call it Shaolin Dynasty kungfu(name of the school) my sifu originally called it Shaolin Tchuin, the word Tchuin looks like a chinese word that was spelled with portugese pronunceation. He said is was called shaolin begining style. whatever that means

Very less known, I haven't seen anybody outside of my sigungs lineage practice it.(I have tape of some of my sifu's classmates back in Brazil from the I think 80's)

Have you trained long?
about 5 years

Do you teach?
Yes I just started teaching on my own. My Sifu pretty much passed the torch to me. I did alittle kickboxing with a friend of mine from Laos/Thailand before. Also I used to practice some different stuff with friends who were in Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon do and Shorei Ryu. When I found my Sifu I dropped all the other stuff(including school but I still studied alittle on my own) cause it's what I knew I wanted to do with my life. I trained as much as possible and focused completely on what he taught for the last 5 years. Of course I read as much as possible on other styles of martial art. Now I am getting at the place where you make the kungfu your own. At first I had trouble with the fact that my Sifu wanted me to teach but he encouraged it. I now know that you are never really complete in Kungfu and as a teacher you are only a guide, so I will do the best I can to guide people as far as I can. I still make sure to keep in mind my limitations and work to expand those everyday.

Sorry that was kind of long

prana
01-16-2002, 11:01 PM
I am just a slacker with a new signature :D

SevenStar
01-16-2002, 11:19 PM
I've trained in a lot over the years. I started in one of Chuck Norris' schools, and since then have trained in jun fan and kali. I trained grappling for about a year and a half and still roll when I get the chance. I trained in muay thai for 2 years and would like to start again, but the group has disbanded, which sucks, because the teacher was a student of chai sirisute. For the past 3.5 years I've been training northern shaolin and still training muay thai, but doing it solo. (I recently found a training partner though. Hopefully we can strat training soon)

I don't teach, but I guess you could say I "coach". friends and students ask me to help them train and ask for advice on training methods. I've had people ask me to teach them, but I'm not ready for that yet, I've still got a lot of training to do myself!

ffab@cyberkwoon.
01-17-2002, 02:12 AM
Hmm so what about the "Fists in South, Kicks in North" ?
what could be the demarcation line ? ;-)

Nichiren
01-17-2002, 02:19 AM
I train WC which is a southern style from the Foshan region. I have trained WC since -96.

scotty1
01-17-2002, 02:41 AM
I admire your intentions Kung Lek, so I'll help you out even though I'm only posting my inexperience!

I started Lau Gar (a really popular style in England) in Oct 2000, did that for about a year, but had to move area, so I popped into a Shaolin five animals class a few times in my new area, but basically now I have no time and even less money, so mostly I train boxing technique from my Dad, who was a British Army champion in the 70s.

I am going to Asia in May and I am going to train in either China or Vietnam. Whichever style I start training over there I will try to make my style when I return.

Probably Wing Chun, as I think that's really popular in Vietnam, and I have a friend in Hanoi whose floor I can sleep on while I find accommodation.

Fairly obviously, I don't teach.

anton
01-17-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by ffab@cyberkwoon.
Hmm so what about the "Fists in South, Kicks in North" ?
what could be the demarcation line ? ;-)

Are you talking about Choy Lay Fut?

dezhen2001
01-17-2002, 07:42 AM
ok, just to introduce myself a bit more saying as i'm a newbie, here's my MA history:

What style(s) do i do now? : Wing Chun Kuen, Dayan Qigong, Hard Qigong. Possibly Northern Shaolin soon also

Are they well known? : WCK is, but i haven't really heard of anyone outside of my own lineage doing Dayan Qigong or our style of Hard Qigong. Even our Northern Shaolin for that matter.

Have i trained long? : In these present styles, only around 18 months. But i have been training in various martial arts (Shotokan Karate, Boxing, Aikido, Shorinji Kempo, Kung Fu, Muay Thai), since i was 8. I am 22 now. I dropped everything when i met my present Sifu and am very happy with him...So much to learn and not enough time!

Do i teach? : NO! but i used to be an assistant instructor at 2 of my old Karate Dojos.

I think this is a good idea Kung Lek,
thanks,

david

Xue Pei
01-17-2002, 09:18 AM
I have been training in Nan Shaolin Wuzuquan for the past 2+years (same style as joedoe :) )

ffab@cyberkwoon.
01-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by anton

Are you talking about Choy Lay Fut?

Not necessarily ;-)
we could talk also about Beishaolin quan, which despite what the name says [northern shaolin] was developped and spread in the South.
Also what about Hua/ Cha quan ?
Is there a definite line that says "here is Northern Style territory, there is Southern ?"

NB: This is only for argument sake and bumping the thread, but for newcomer it may be interesting :D

reemul
01-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Classical Northern Shaolin Tiger
Not known outside our school
15 years
I help

EARTH DRAGON
01-17-2002, 05:43 PM
EARTH DRAGON, northern style ba bu tang lang
(8 step prayingmantis)

Pretty well known, totaly offensive extremly fierce fighting applications

21 years all together

Yes for about 6 years,

joedoe
01-17-2002, 05:56 PM
Out of curiosity, who is your teacher? Just wondering if we are from the same lineage. I am from Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong's line.