PDA

View Full Version : Three nails

David Jamieson
01-16-2002, 09:08 PM
What do you think of three nails theory?

Do you understand it when applying your art?
That is, if you are familiar with this theory.

peace

Water Dragon
01-16-2002, 09:29 PM
I like what you're doing. I'll bite.

The main power mechanic in taijiquan is the opening and the closing of the kua. It is the source of all movement. It provides solid, body mechanics while maintaining an efficient relaxed stucture. It is the source of both yielding and issuing power. Yang comes form Yin.

When the kua is sufficiently trained, one learns to root. When these two things exist, the power comes from the ground. Force is rooted in the foot, launched by the legs, directed by the waist, carried up the back, pushed through the shoulders, gathered in the elbow, and expressed through the fingers. I know, it's not exactly the Classics, but that's how it feels to me right now. Who knows what it'll feel like in 10 years.

Any hoo, enough of the theory crap. Basically, the three nails are the big toe, the ball of the foot, and the heel. You start by thinking of the connection all the time. You play with it by feel. You press harder, you lighten up, you oush on the ball of the foot, the toe, you get the idea. Once the root grows and you can feel it, you can learn to use it for power.

Play with the idea of spinning the floor with your foot. That's your intention. What happens, is you get a tight torquing energy in your foot. This actually begins the action of the kua, and Thus: You can punch people with the ground.

David Jamieson
01-16-2002, 09:34 PM
What of the outside edge of the foot.

How does this play in the theory.

Do you think there is conflict between the bubbling well root and the three nails root or the whole foot root? Or is the three nails only refering to motion aspects and generation and delivery of energy at a terminus?

peace

Water Dragon
01-16-2002, 09:55 PM
No. I think all three are more similar than different. I think each one is designed to better highlight specific ideas. It's like Baji and Chan Taiji. To me, they are very similar in their design, how they move. How they generate power. Is one better? No, they are merely different. They accomplish very similar results. Yet they are distinct. I value the mobility aspects of the root. It allows me to move quickly and still generate power. I'm willing to accept the slight decrease in stability that I would get from the other two. We work on Tui Shou more than most skills. It overcomes this as well as other things.

SevenStar
01-16-2002, 10:34 PM
"In recent years, there are many Tai Chi Chuan players that have a knee problem. These may be the result of over-relaxation of the knee and collapsing and sinking too much on the rooted leg. Without the countervailing support of a firmly rooted foot, place undue stress on the knee joint. Over time, such over-relaxation or collapsing may lead to weakening of the sartorius muscle and other related muscles, which support knee, causing them to stain to relieve the pressure on the knees resulting from the weight of the upper body. Rooting with the three active nails and allowing the signal to be transmitted adequate muscle energy to protect the knee from the pressure caused by downward pulling gravity."

Dunno if this relates, I just wanted to be in on what seems like a good thread :p All this is very interesting though, I've learned a lot from these posts and a little research.

David Jamieson
01-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Seven Star, that's a quote from Chen's article about the three nails.

Was it he that devised the theory wholly, or was this an underlying principle in Yang style that Chen brought to the forefront by commiting it to writing after his epiphany regarding the theory? - open question.

peace

Shooter
01-16-2002, 10:41 PM
I just call it "screwing in"

The 3 nails create the mechanical structure which forms/facilitates bubbling pool. Bubbling pool is the indicator of proper 3 nails structure. The edge of the foot serves as an auxiliary support and prevents over-extension/rotation (stripping the threads).

David Jamieson
01-16-2002, 10:46 PM
good observation shooter.

do you think this theory could map to any martial art due to it's innate biomechanical logic?

peace

Shooter
01-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Kung Lek, yes. It goes a step beyond just martial art though. Tug-o-war, lifting, standing stationary (at a work station) for long periods of time, and we're both familiar with icy hillsides....that's all I can think of right now... :)

Apprentice
01-17-2002, 09:41 PM
A solid root can prevent you from sliding on an "icy hillside"? Hows that work? And would you suggest sittin in a horsestance while doing "Tug-o-war"??? or another stance perhaps?