PDA

View Full Version : In sickness and in health?

Chang Style Novice
01-17-2002, 07:39 AM
For most of this week, I've been suffering from some sort of non-specific malady. My appetite was almost gone, I've been hacking and coughing up chunky colorful phlegm, my entire body but especially hips back and chest have been aching, I've been terribly congested, and just generally have felt too weak to leave the house (more accurately, for a day or so, I felt like if I tried to descend the stairs from my apartment, I'd likely fall and injure myself.) What I have been doing is trying to stay warm, get plenty of liquids, taking loads of c and b6, and drinking ginger tea.

Now, it could be flu, or a nasty cold, or strep, or just a particularly vicious bout with cedar fever (if you haven't spent the winter months in central Texas, you probably don't fully appreciate just how vicious cedar fever can get!) The point is, I haven't been doing my qigong or taiji forms. Should I have been doing them? And more generally of interest to the forum, how sick is too sick to train? Obviously if you can't get off the toilet for fear of ruining your carpets you shouldn't be free-sparring, but what else?

How much of a responsibility do you have to your training partners to not bring infections into the kwoon?

Etc.

red5angel
01-17-2002, 07:46 AM
Well, if you are sick you shouldnt touch hands with anyone! I really think this is the most considerate thing to do. When I am sick I stay home and train on my own. It drives me crazy when someone comes in sniffling, coughing and hacking and then wants to touch hands!

shaolinboxer
01-17-2002, 07:50 AM
From my experience, it is best not to train when sick. The body needs all of its energy for healing. If you do train sick, you'll probably feel better for a while, but in reality you will only be prolonging your sickness and when you cool down it is very likely you will feel worse than when you started.

I feel very strongly about sickness and class attandence...if you are sick DO NOT go to class. You will pass your sickness on to your training partners, and you endanger everyone including yourself by not being having all of your wits about you. Training sick is selfish and dangerous.

That being said, I hope you heal fast and can return to training soon :).

Chang Style Novice
01-17-2002, 07:54 AM
"That being said, I hope you heal fast and can return to training soon."

Me too! (sniffle, wheeze) Hey, I'm done with this orange juice, you wanna finish it?

shaolinboxer
01-17-2002, 07:59 AM
Er, um thanks, I have my own juice ;).

Did I mention the part where I would go totally nuts wanting to train as soon I start to feel better and my fiance has to ground and pound me with reminders not to train?

Well, now I don't need the reminder anymore (lesson finally learned), but I still get the itch....

Repulsive Monkey
01-17-2002, 08:05 AM
In all honesty it's probably best that you desist with the Qi Gong until you know you have got over the Zenith of the illness. If you're coughing up green yellow Phlegm then its probably not the best idea to have too many warming or at least hot foods or drinks, espicially if you have sweating symptoms and sore throat too

Chang Style Novice
01-17-2002, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure which foods are considered 'warming.' I've been going with that old Jewish Mother's standby (appropriate, since I've got a Jewish mother) chicken noodle soup. I think that now I'm around the corner, and actually intend to leave the house soon to run some overdue chores. Is it best to wait until I'm totally asymptomatic before resuming my excercises?

Repulsive Monkey
01-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Warming = mainly heat inducing properties. I think that when one has passed the peek of the illness it is generally alright to introduce a limited amount of exercise and then increase it as health comes back to normal.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-17-2002, 09:55 AM
i always train and work out unless im puking, but i'm an idiot.

JF Springer
01-17-2002, 06:44 PM
Been running a near constant 102 temp. since Sunday night. Haven't missed practicing or training. Haven't missed any training and practice save for the time I was in a combat or hostile fire zone. Even then I was able to "sneak in" some formal practice. “Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.”

Old Chinese saying "Show up for class and bring your illness with you." What the h*ell are you going to do, "Sorry Mr. Bad Guy but I've got the screaming $hits and can't deal with you right now."

As for the wussy worried about touching hands with someone who is ill here's a news flash for you - More likely than not you come into contact with people suffering with HIV/AIDS, or tuberculosis, or hepatitis A, B, or C on a near daily basis.

People are generally "contagious" approximately 24 hours before the onset of symptoms so snotty nosed coughing isn’t a good key. Bag your reactionary "Boy in the Bubble" bull$hit and get on with it.

If your immune system is that weak then do yourself a favor and get it over with all ready. Just go hang yourself. Wear a diaper so you don’t $hit & pi$$ all over the place when you lose bowel and bladder control.

prana
01-17-2002, 07:37 PM
I got Pneumonia cause I trained when I got the flu. I should've known better.

Serpent
01-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Haven't received any envelopes leaking a white powder lately have you?

(BTW Springer - you really are a pr!ck, you know that.)

Chang Style Novice
01-17-2002, 08:02 PM
No, he's obviously right. Because I have missed some training, I'm unfit to live. Please JF Springer, can you give me any pointers on how to end my life quickly and cleanly, with a minimum of fuss to others?

whippinghand
01-17-2002, 08:10 PM
Training, especially horse stance training, ALWAYS kick starts my recovery.

Serpent
01-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Yeah, ignoring Mr Testosterone-Overload there, I always train through illness unless I'm phsyically too ill to stand, but I always let my body tell me what's good and what's not. If I get dizzy, I stop. I drink gallons of water. Mind you, I'm rarely sick for more than a couple of days at a time - maybe that's why! ;)

JF Springer
01-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Haven't received any envelopes leaking a white powder lately have you?

>Haven't reached into your pocket and pulled out a wad of dried spooge lately have you?

(BTW Springer - you really are a pr!ck, you know that.)

>BTW you really are invited to come see me any time and attempt to adjust my attitude girlie boy.

Chang - Learn to read and pay attention to detail. I all ready gave you the way out of your dilemma. Hang yourself and make sure you wear a diaper.

Serpent
01-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Wow, you really are a grownup, Springer, huh! So your response is one of name-calling, schoolyard mentality insults and challenges. The army taught you well, boy! Hut, hut, hut, hop to it! Tennnnn-SHUN!

Twat.

neptunesfall
01-18-2002, 04:55 AM
i was taught the only time not to train was when you have a fever.
luckily i haven't been sick in about 3 years, so i don't have to worry about it much.

Sharky
01-18-2002, 05:34 AM
stop being a b!tch and get back to bed

Chang Style Novice
01-18-2002, 06:39 AM
JF Springer -

WAAAAAAH! I can't make the knot stay tied. Will you tie it for me?

And while you're at it, perhaps you could let the board know who peed on your Cheerios?

JF Springer
01-18-2002, 06:39 AM
Wow, you really are a grownup, Springer, huh!

*Wow, you really are a pu$$y hiding behind a computer screen!

So your response is one of name-calling, schoolyard mentality insults and challenges.

*Check your own posts, kunt, you'll see you're right there, dumb $hit.

The army taught you well, boy!

*I got your "boy" right here, pu$$y lips. Your mommy taught you well, you queenie little d*ork hoover you.

Hut, hut, hut, hop to it! Tennnnn-SHUN!

*Got it all wrong. Too many movies for you, girlie boy. Hey, the Army let's h*omosexuals in now so it's okay for you to go join up.

Twat.

*The only twat you know belongs to your mommy, a$$hole sissy boy.

DelicateSound
01-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Um, on a serious note, IMHO you shouldn't train 100%. I'm ill at the moment, and I'mjust doing light forms and sh!t to get the blood flowing and to keep myself in practise.

After about 30mins, it back to the OJ and Chicken Soup [the best thing for you]

I don't go to college or class when I'm ill. What goes around comes around........