PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here planning on competing in MMA

Brad Souders
01-17-2002, 10:54 AM
If so what does your training look like? Also good luck in future fights.

Johnny Hot Shot
01-17-2002, 11:18 AM
But I do train with NHB types. Most of the guys I know that fight are contiuosly rolling. The ground game in NHB is ultimately important.

Ford Prefect
01-17-2002, 11:27 AM
Eventually I want to just to see how I'd do, but I have no immediate plans. I trained with more than a few people who have fought in NHB and their training for technique varied greatly depending on what their strengths were. The stand-up guys would train the sprawl and other takedown defenses, so they could stay on their feet while the ground fighters would train takedowns and a lot of ground work.

One thing remains constant regardless of fighters style, and that is conditioning. They all were in great cardio-vascular shape and would rarely gas out. In the words of Karl Gotch, "Conditioning is the best submission hold."

Water Dragon
01-17-2002, 12:18 PM
I like to cycle what I’m working on. For example, right now, I’m working on 3 throws and 2 punches. That’s it. I go to class once a week and we’re basically going to drill each tech relentlessly. Try to get in maybe 50 or so reps on each tech. I’ll throw my partner 50 times, he throws me 50 times, etc. The we’ll spar. When we spar, we can use whatever we want, but since the selected techs are already in our minds, we’ll tend to concentrate on those.

At home, during the week, I do my traditional aspects, based on the technique as a distinct entity. For each tech, I have a couple stances I hold, 1 or 2 single movement postures, and a few other auxiliary exercises that come out of the lineage. They train things like the proper structure, most efficient movement, vital aspect of the tech, etc. I also get in my power exercises, strength training, cardio, etc.

What happens is basically this: I don’t focus on the traditional methods when throwing. I just try to get the other guy on the ground using the basic idea of the throw. As time progresses, the stuff I train on my own just starts to appear in the throw. I begin to “Look like Gong Fu” even though I’m only trying to throw better.

LEGEND
01-17-2002, 12:36 PM
brad...to see how nhb fighters train go to SUNCOAST and buy a tape NHB lifestye. It shows the training...a mix of standup( boxing/thai boxing ) and grappling.

GrappleGirl
01-17-2002, 12:45 PM
Hi BS :)

Are you getting ready to do some NHB Fights ? If so good luck I will be cheering for you.

"GrappleGirl"

Brad Souders
01-17-2002, 12:50 PM
Thanks darling!!! How you been? Wooping any ass lately? Right now i'm doing something just as fun as fighting. I'm training a guy for a fight in March maybe. After that i feel it will be time for me to step back in the ring. #1 GG fan right here. :D

Mutant
01-17-2002, 12:56 PM
I would like to try it eventually, but I'm not there yet, as far as studying how to deal w/ ground-fighters, I need to start cross-training with some of those types or join a gym that focuses on that, not to master but just get more familiar and learn how to best deal with it.

Actually, I'm not afraid to lose so maybe I'll try it sooner rather than later, sometime this year when I feel I'm in shape for san shou, which I want to compete in again and gain more experience. Any suggestions?

Lately my training has been limited to classical wing chun. When I start training (I've just started adjusting and transitioning my workouts) for san shou and/or MMA, I will focus on things applicable to that; speed, power, do lots of cardio, bag work, running hills, practice throws, punchs, combos, kicks, take-downs, and sparring (I have to find some new partners, my old ones are gone). Then as a cool-down, I practice some tai chi and/or chi gung, traditional forms, meditation.

We'll see how it goes....I work long hours in a demanding career, so training unfortunately has to take a back seat these days, and I often have to work late and miss workouts, which makes competing at a very high level a difficult prospect.

But I think the experience would be a good way to push myself to learn more about fighting and MMA and I certainly enjoy the training.

Brad Souders
01-17-2002, 01:01 PM
You are on a great path. My only advice would be however long your match is plan on training to fight double that. So if its a 10 minute match train for 20 or 30 minutes. Also allow yourself to get hit so its no as much as a shock in match. But whatever you do good luck in it.

Ray Pina
01-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Very in close, tight. My focus is on keeping a strong shape, keeping closed, getting power from the shoulder/Back.

Touch, open, strike. Wedging kicks. More about fighting the person entirely, more than throwing punching and blocking. Of coarse I block and punch, but it looks more like Navy Seal stuff than your run of the mill "Kung -Fu". A lot looks like elbows (not side or over, swinging up and down) but its really not, just that there is where the intentions lies, because I'm moving my mass not my arm when striking, shielding, hitting.

That add that runs atop alot, with the two Chinese guys in fatigues, the shape of his arm, like pounding a beer, that is crucial in the way I fight, not distorting from that shape, because that shape has power.

SevenStar
01-17-2002, 01:32 PM
I'm still considering whether or not to do NHB, but I definitely plan on gong back into the full contact arena. I currently try to train three hours a day. This covers weight training, shadowboxing, calisthenics and my traditional training. I don't count class time with this, so I get additional time on class days. I found a boxing gym recently and want to drop by as soon as I can as often as I can, and just may have found someone willing to train muay thai with me, so I may not have to do that solo anymore.

neptunesfall
01-17-2002, 01:40 PM
yes. there are training aspects i want to finish first though,
which will take about 2 yrs. we'll see how the NHB circuit is looking then...

Merryprankster
01-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Yes, but I have priorities.

Pan-Am's
Mundials

Then MMA type stuff.

And that stuff only when and if Lloyd decides I'm ready for it.

James

Brad Souders
01-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Sweet best of luck especially at Mundials. Hope you rip up.

Merryprankster
01-17-2002, 02:17 PM
We shall see.

Thanks for the encouragement

Polaris
01-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Yes.

Brad Souders
01-17-2002, 02:25 PM
No prob Merry anyone who trains with Lloyd has my respect and also feels like a teammate

GrappleGirl
01-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Hi BS

Thanks for being a cool guy :)

I'm sure the guy your training will do great. Dont forget to work that cardio, in the cage or ring it goes fast!!!! espically in your first fight. From what I have learned from cage fights is it's all about cardio and power sure technique is great also but in my opinion in there you use more power and cardio than technique... just my opinion.

"GrappleGirl"

Asia
01-17-2002, 11:08 PM
I already compete. Both here and other parts of Europe. We have a small circuit in my area, won which I have the nasty habit of winning:D , but military compitments keep me from competeing as much as I like. I missed a big oppurtunity awhile back for a 3 day competition in France. My command wouldn't me go because of a exercise the sad part was I got sick with a 103 fever and they had the never to say I was faking just to try to go to the tournament!!

Mr. Nemo
01-17-2002, 11:18 PM
I plan to. Originally I was gonna wait until I got out of college, but now I'm getting impatient. Maybe this summer, I'm not sure yet.

Ryu
01-17-2002, 11:32 PM
Nope. :)

But much respect for those of you who are.
MerryPrankster, good luck to you!

Ryu