PDA

View Full Version : I-ching

Anthroman
01-17-2002, 12:14 PM
Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good translation of the I-ching. Thanks alot.
Anthroman

EARTH DRAGON
01-17-2002, 12:52 PM
A great translation was done by gia-fu feng and jane english, vintage publications I beleive.

Repulsive Monkey
01-18-2002, 08:28 AM
I would have to say avoid Richard Wilhelms editions and take a moment to peruse Thomas Cleary's version which has quite obviously superior, and I'm not being honest. Wilhelm is a poor translator and is Christian biased, Cleary is well adversed in this area and is a translator of good repute.

hkphooey
01-18-2002, 08:57 AM
anthroman

i've read about 4 or 5 different translations. the one that sticks out is...uh oh, i forgot. let me think about it and i'll get back to you. i think a KEY component of reading the I Ching is not just the hexagrams (and their meaning) but the principle of constant change between them. many authors leave out this vital idea.

TaoBoxer
01-18-2002, 10:49 AM
The best one I have seen is the Alfred Huang translation. He was a professor at a Chinese university and a Taoist scholar. He also wrote a companion book explaining the cultural and mytholologgical implications.....

hkphooey
01-18-2002, 02:25 PM
as i expected, by the time i got back, someone brought it up...

Alfred Huang.

=)