PDA

View Full Version : close range kicking techniques...

fiercest tiger
11-14-2000, 08:12 AM
do any of you southern stylist use short range kicking techniques in real life encounters or sparring? or would rather stick close to your opponent and punch on?

i would do a little of both, but prefer hands and grinding the leg/shin of my opponent.

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Subitai
11-14-2000, 10:45 AM
I don't know about other guys, but the shortest kick i'd usually use is Chicken Kicking.( Like done in Lau Gar)

For example, JKD guys use this very well as the stop hit kick. Either for breaking or offbalancing it's cool to use. Just be quick about it and set it up correctly.

Wing Chun also has a short pushing front kick that is very usefull.

Heck, every style pretty much has it all if you understand what to look for.

Sparring for sure you'll see people doing the stop hit kick effectively.

I had many fights in real life and never encountered a problem w/ this particular kick. Especially now in this age, most people are doing what they can to stay on their feet if they don't want to go down.

"O"

Kung Lek
11-14-2000, 07:30 PM
I tend to stick to low kicks and hands while sparring and likely if presented with a "real life" situation would do the same.

peace

Kung Lek

word
11-14-2000, 11:28 PM
onassis, in your fights did you use any of your hard core kung fu? or did you blank out and just start swingingnging?

Subitai
11-15-2000, 12:29 AM
Word Wrote:
word

onassis, in your fights did you use any of your hard core kung fu? or did you blank out and just start swingingnging?

"O" = Yes as a matter of fact, Although it's usually a hodge podge of what I know. I think we are all the same as Martial Artists.

In 96 I took on a challenger at Lam Kwoon in the back blue room (it is a stock room now). This was 1 year after my UFC 7 experience. We went all out except for eyes and biting. I dropped him w/ the classic HG move. Rt hook to temple(he dodged) Lft palm strike to heart(he blocked), I smashed into his floating rib w/ a rt. low sinking Arrow/Cannon fist. Boom! he was weezing and down. A simple yet classic HG technique that i've practiced 1000's of times. As should we all.

I can go into detail about the last 5 street fights I had outside the KWOON. But people can say true or untrue, this is unimportant.

This is not supposed to be a thread about people bragging. I regret knocking those people out and althought at the time, I was reacting to a dangerous situation coupled w/ the fight or flight syndrom. I always pray for forgiveness and for their well being afterward. I realize it takes two to tango and I was just as much an Jerk for participating.

I will admit that before I started in Kung Fu I was mostly just Philippino MA. My attitude was very poor, fight 1st talk 2nd. I was always looking for a fight, a punk basically. During and after college I began to mature and mend my ways.

Word, fiercest tiger asked a question and i answered him honestly trying to share. What are you trying to do to further this thread? I know what UNDERLYING INDIRECT STABBS that your aiming at me. It's no secret, its so obvious.

What I'm saying is there is a mutually respectfull and tactfull way to ask someone and then there is people like you. Why can't you just be cool? I have every reason to want to hate you and smash you if you ever revealed your cowardly ass. Yet the challenge as a Kung Fu man is to make you grow and prosper...not condem you. That is the easy way out.

"O"

Black Jack
11-15-2000, 02:54 AM
I work with a FMA system known as Panajackman that is all about low-line kicks. The kicks are pretty brutal and are used in conjunction with all of the close quarter combat tools.

Regards

Paul Skrypichayko
11-15-2000, 06:06 AM
Yes, I agree that low kicking is great. It's so convenient, effective, etc.

The chicken kick found in Lau Gar is also found in Mok Gar kung fu, it's one of the techniques that these two styles are famous for.

fiercest tiger
11-15-2000, 06:57 AM
thanks guys i didnt know that the lau gar had these kicks now i do, i know that mok gar is known for its kicking ability though. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Ross
11-27-2000, 12:35 AM
So.... many styles have grinding/sticking drills for the arms. Do they all have a similar concept to chi gerk to work the close range kicks around???

Also do you think of your kicks as "kicks" or as transitional positions that are capable of kicks/throws(sweeps/grinds)/deflections etc :?)

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!

Cheers, R

fiercest tiger
11-27-2000, 01:14 AM
kicks can be used, chi gerk drills help to get you into position for trips, pinning ,thows, sweep and throws.

all aspects of leg training should be drilled in every martial art system i think, flowing from 1 to another not relying just on one of the following.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

ppp
11-28-2000, 04:46 AM
About using kicks on close range and also on another topic of high kicks.

I often hear about the perils of high kicking, and almost always agree on the point that low kicks are usually more effective than high ones.

Anyway, when on close range, I often use high inside axe kick (kwa gerk) to the face or collar bone, and almost every time I succeed in it. The opponent often does not even see it coming, and is usually too surprised to do anything before it's too late.

This could ofcourse be because most of the people I spar with suck almost as much as I do. I guess if my opponents had more combat sensitivity, they would propably knock me off on my butt, but this has not happened so far. ;

*The dragon reveals himself only to vanish*

fiercest tiger
12-01-2000, 07:57 AM
PPP,
axe kicks can be very effective, but if your oponent can read your body language you are in some trouble. i did hap ki do when i was 11 for 4 years and they do plenty of these kicks. good for finishing off your oponent.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com