PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut/Tsoi Li Ho Fut

yamato_damashii
11-17-2000, 04:17 AM
Help me out here, guys. Somebody's trying to tell me that Tsoi Li Ho Fut (Kung Fu San Soo) is a 3500 year old branch of Choy Lay Fut.
Now, Southern Chinese martial arts aren't really my speciality, but I'm pretty sure that Choy Lay Fut is not 3500 years old.

Can anyone help me out with the history of these two styles? Especially something I can reference... Thanks!

Also, if I could get rough translations of the two names... Again, thanks!
Jason C. Diederich

Co-Founder, Yiu Dai S'uun Ancient Martial Arts
Only recorded holder of the rank of Black Pelt, Caveasaurus Combat
10,316th generation Dai Soke in an unbroken line of NHB Shaolin Ninja Marine successors

[This message was edited by yamato_damashii on 11-17-00 at 08:33 PM.]

T. Cunningham
11-17-2000, 08:24 AM
That's interesting being that Choy Lee Fut was founded in 1836. It might be safe to say that the system's roots stretch back that far, but the system itself is only 164 years old. Check out this site for info on the style: http://www.choyleefut.com.au/

MoQ
11-17-2000, 09:14 PM
You know it's fake, when they start off with "It all started with an Indian Monk named... DAMO!"

What is the mentality of the one who goes "3,500 years old...WOW, that is as AUTHENTIC as it gets!"

The Choi, Li, Mok, Hung, Lau families, the Buddha's and the Ho's... THIS is obviously the ??? du jour and we'll get to the bottom of this, I'm sure...

Jimbo
11-18-2000, 08:56 AM
The name "Choy Lee Fut" (also spelled Choy Li Fut) has no special meaning, other than the fact it's is a combination of the surnames of the monk Choy Fook, Li Yau-San, and "Fut" represents the Fut Gar system Chan Heung, CLF's founder, learned from his uncle Chan Yuen-Woo.
Jim

yamato_damashii
11-18-2000, 09:13 AM
Thank you for the information, gentlemen.
I especially agree about the "3500 year" idea; so far as I know, the only Chinese art even CLOSE to making that claim is Shuai Chiao.

Jason C. Diederich

10,316th generation Dai Soke in an unbroken line of NHB Shaolin Ninja Marine successors

BIU JI
11-18-2000, 02:43 PM
Yamato-damashii, where did you learn about traditional japanese spirits? Nihongo o dekimasuka. o

yamato_damashii
11-19-2000, 01:36 AM
Segoi!

I was stationed on Okinawa for 3 1/2 years.

Jason C. Diederich

BIU JI
11-19-2000, 06:40 AM
Okinowano nihongo o dekimasuka Tokyo ben ka. Stationed you said !What is this Shaolin Ninja marines?

yamato_damashii
11-23-2000, 07:09 AM
That is a joke aimed at a former member of e-budo by the name of Ron Collins; he had quite a few "interesting" claims to make about his martial expertise, including a 5th dan in "koga ninjitsu" [sic], and five other first dans by the age of twenty (first black belt at age six!); all of which I was happy to allow him to make, until he also claimed to have been a Force Recon Marine...and to have been separated from the Marines after TWO YEARS for medical reasons.

I was stationed on Okinawa for 3.5 years as an MP with the USMC.

Jason C. Diederich

BIU JI
11-23-2000, 11:04 AM
He must have grown up in a ninja clan and maybe kicked out for medical reasons.So what are you studying? Did you learn in Japan?

yamato_damashii
11-23-2000, 07:38 PM
While I was on Okinawa, I had the opportunity to study Shorin ryu karate under two of the foremost karateka in the world; Kise Fusei and Shimabukuro Eizo (definitely my favorite sensei...).
I did study ninpo while on Okinawa, but under an American.
Currently, being out of the USMC and back in BFE, I'm saving up money so that a friend and I can get certified to teach under Stephen Hayes' Quest centers.

Jason C. Diederich

premier
11-23-2000, 08:36 PM
the "fut" in choy lee fut doesn't have anything to do with fut gar. "fut" means buddha in cantonese and it's there to commemorate the buddhist origins of the art(the shaolin system taught by monk choy fook).

BIU JI
11-24-2000, 03:09 AM
Is that smoke bombs,swimming with bamboo air hose etc?I should ask Rolling elbow but he gets alittle upset when I talk to him, takes his art quite seriously.My friend studied ninjutsu before coming to Pakmei but he still speaks highly of the art.
NIN NIN Peace.

yamato_damashii
11-24-2000, 04:39 AM
Smoke bombs (kajutsu) and snorkelling (suiejutsu) are advanced techniques within the Bujinkan system; most of this training is done by the upper dans in Tokyo.
Lower level training (what pretty much anyone you talk to will know) consists almost entirely of taijutsu (armed and unarmed combat).

Also, Mr. Collins did NOT grow up in a ninja clan. Rather, he seriously injured--in a schoolyard brawl--the eldest son of a (nameless) Koga Ninja Master, who then agreed to train him. I believe this was supposed to have happened to him at the age of eight.

Never mind the fact that the family scrolls of all known Koga systems are on display in museums, thus marking the systems as officially dead.

Jason C. Diederich

[This message was edited by yamato_damashii on 11-24-00 at 08:48 PM.]

Jimbo
11-24-2000, 07:24 AM
Premier:
I had heard the "fut" also was used due to Chan Heung's original training in the Fut Gar (Buddha style) kung fu. But I guess I live and learn.

Either way, Choy Lee Fut is inseparable from its Buddhist roots. Thanks for the correction.
Jim

ppp
11-24-2000, 05:12 PM
CLF has much more to do with Hung Gar than Fut Gar. I am not sure if Chan Heung ever trained Fut Gar, but I am sure that he trained Hung Gar (with his uncle, if my memory does not fail me).

The dragon reveals himself only to vanish.