PDA

View Full Version : Bigger and Stronger people...

Octavius
01-17-2002, 05:11 PM
I'd like to get your opinions on something. No matter what art we study, we learn the techniques of fighting that are indicative of that art. Now, given that we should obviously train and train and train to get good at what we learned, still, I've noticed that some techniques work well ON certain body-types when it is done BY certain other body-types. So, since it is understood that a good fighter obviously lets the situation dictate what techniques to use and not try to force a technique work in a situation that it may not be suited for, how are to know when we are practicing that a technique is not working well (assume we've been doing it for at least some time and it's not a totally new thing for us) becasue it is (a) due to lack of practice/skill on our part, or (b) it is simply not the appropriate technique to use for that situation. Of course some things must be decided by using common sense (i.e. no matter how good or strong my blocks are, I still wouldn't _counsciously_want_ to block any strikes or kicks thrown at me by someone much larger than myself). But other techniques are a little more problematic to decide - as some examples let's say doing an armbar against someone bigger and stronger than you, or throwing someone much larger than you. These examples may be a little facetious - I'm sure you've encountered a few situations like this and can come up with a few yourselves. It is said that some of the masters of old were able to take on all comers and emerge victorious, so meaning they were able to fight any and all types of body-types. WHat do you guys think?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-17-2002, 06:39 PM
i guess i'm lucky . .. everyone is bigger than me.

African Tiger
01-17-2002, 06:44 PM
on that one. At 6'2" 205, it's pretty hard to do some of the animal forms that require finesse and flexibility. But forms like Tiger and Dragon I can perform with ease - Tiger requiring a subtle blend of speed and strength, Dragon - focus and Qi.

My sifu is my height and at least 240, and at age 53, he can still perform any form he teaches us. Someday I'll figure out why :confused:

JF Springer
01-17-2002, 07:12 PM
If you practice properly, e.g., noncooperative partners of varying body configurations, strength levels, etc., then you should have a good idea what most likely will and what will not work in any given situation.

If you're one of these "school house" warriors that stars down in partner assisted dance posing as honest, real practice then you're doomed from the get go.

From a purely objective perspective consider this - You have absolutely no control whatsoever over how big, strong, fast, rage driven, drug fueled, skilled, etc., your opponent is in the real deal.

The only reasonable and rational approach is to engage and do the best you can with what you have at that time. That should create a permanent sense of urgency to drive your daily dedication to your chosen art form.

IMO, part of being a real MA is accepting the fact that the moment may come when despite your very best efforts you will fail - die. That’s the reality that shatters the myth of the impenetrable blocking system or Iron Vest that cannot be broken $hit so many inherently scared people embrace.

Do your best as there's nothing more you can do. You cannot rehearse or model all possible scenarios and beyond roughing in a few of the more common set ups this activity is a waste of time-energy. Far more productive to practice and train honestly employing random variables with partners who have a similar mind set. Better to bleed in private than die in public.

“Form Fairies” and "Kwoon Killers" are always waiting for that magical moment to arrive when they will some how, some way, emerge as full blown real MA. That day will never come and that's just punishment for ilk of their kind.