PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh! The pain! The horrible pain!

PHILBERT
01-17-2002, 06:36 PM
I got me a question. Whenever I jog/run, after a few minutes the right side of my upper back hurts. I can tollerate it, but it annoys me big time. This is the only "cardio" workout that does this. I can use any other machine without a problem, it's just jogging that does it.

Also, when I do the tricep pull down (where the bar is at about chest level and you pull it down using your triceps), my rib pops. I have a dislocated rib and sometimes it pops when I do this exercise.

Next up, when I do seated benching (where you are sitting and push the bar in front of you), that bone that runs from your shoulders across your chest hurts pretty badly.

And finally, when I do ab crunches, my lower back hurts.

Now before I get suggestions, let me first state that I have Sherman's Kyposis (sp?) where my spinal cord is curved like a question mark (it is visible from the side, but it isn't THAT badly curved). Not scoliosis (which is when your spine is curved and visible from the front or back). And I have a dislocated rib and when I do chest exercises, my shoulder pops (left shoulder). I once had the rib popped back into place, but it fell back out of place (I have no idea). So could these be the reason why I get all this pain? The upper back is beyond me though. And the crunches is too.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions (short of surgery, which would cause me to loose about 75 pounds of muscle and fat, and yes I checked into this). Thanks.

fmann
01-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Doctors and personal trainers haven't given any advice? They would probably be able to give better suggestions to work around your specific combination of kyphosis, etc..

Which ribs pop out? the floating ones?

as for that bone that runs from your shoulder across your chest? you mean your collar bone?

When you do lower back exercises does it hurt, too?

Brian_CA
01-17-2002, 10:43 PM
fmann,

As a Yoga Instructor,I would find a good Yoga class in your area or at your gym. Make sure that the teacher is certified in the what ever yoga they teach. Also make sure that the instuctor has experience with spinal injuries. Lighten up on heavey weight lifting and go lighter weight heavier reps if you feel the need to lift.

As for you abs, with your condition you may have over done your ab work. You may need to bend backwards. The following is a modified backbend you can do to help strengthen the back and stretch the front of your body.

Go to this website.

http://www.usyoga.org/Yogasthma/moderate_exercise.htm

Do the exercises that the little wire man is doing every day 2x a day for 2 months and see how you feel. You can also use them as a warm up before your workouts.

Approach this exercises VERY carefully. Remember that you are working with an injury and NEED TO GO SLOW. Try it twice a day for 2 months and see how you feel.

Also, if try standing with your back flat against the wall.

1. Stand with your feet roughly shoulder distance apart. Place your back against the wall and try to flatten you flat back.

2. Let your legs do most the work.

3. Breathe, always breathe.

Hope this helps,

Brian
San Francisco, CA

Robinf
01-18-2002, 07:11 AM
PHILBERT,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're kind of a mess. Please, go to your doctor with your list and get a good physical therapist. You might have some stress fractures you don't know about that a doctor needs to fix and some muscle imbalances that only a physical therapist can help you with.

Robin

fmann
01-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Brian_CA
Also make sure that the instuctor has experience with spinal injuries.

I think Phil's kyphosis is congenital, but that's a good point overall.

But I would stress seeing trained professionals that can deal with the combination of problems, etc. A low intensity program would probably be ideal.

Brian_CA
01-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Fmann,

Apologies, I addressed my last post to the wrong person. I did not mean to invaludate you post.

Brian,

San Francisco, CA

fa_jing
01-18-2002, 12:49 PM
Philbert, take the advice given above. Yoga is good.

When running, if you choose to run, make sure your neck is relaxed. Runners tend to scrunch up the back of there necks, causing upper back pain. Push your head back while tucking your chin. The head should be as if suspended from the ceiling by a string, through your crown point.

-FJ

PHILBERT
01-18-2002, 09:08 PM
I have no problems with back exercises at all. In fact, doctors have told me to DO more back exercises, it will help with my spine. I can do this lower back exercise, where you sit in the chair and push back, I do it about 150 times at 125 without any pain. I can do chin ups, lat pull downs and a bunch of other back exercises and feel no pain.

The rib popped out of place about 3 years ago, way before I even considered starting weight training, so it can't be from abdominal work. I think it is the second rib on my left side, the doctor said there shouldn't be any health problems with that either and offered to cut my chest open and readjust it (insurance would cover it), but I'd have a wicked scar and would loose weight recovering. I said no.

I figured out a weigh today to modify my abdominal crunches without feeling the pain. I use a machine similar to a Roman Chair ab cruncher, I simply have to move my butt further back and streighten my back up a little more, and I feel no pressure in my back.

I will have to see the doctor though about my collor bone hurting.

Repulsive Monkey
01-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Sounds like Kidney Jing deficiency to me. This seems to account for the structural complications and pain from the skeletal point of questioning. Acupuncture could help quite a bit I suspect.