PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Tricks

Sharky
01-18-2002, 08:13 AM
Guys, what dirty tricks do you know? I don't mean so much like self defence stuff, i mean like crime prevention by the fact that you know how the criminal thinks. Like common ways of breaking and entering, the tools they use, the methods etc. I'm pretty sure the people on here are mature enough to be adult about this and not take of any knowledge anyone puts out.

Cheers. I'm off to give a false cheque to buy a 6-cell maglite and get some food, as i have no money.

Joy!

guohuen
01-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Sharky, check out the six C cell model. C's last as long as D's, cost less and the narrower diameter makes for more precise striking with the end. Just a thought.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-18-2002, 09:18 AM
brainstorming a little the first thing i though of is that you need a way in that is relatively out of view of any trafficed streets or neighbors.

txwingchun
01-18-2002, 09:22 AM
I have his one when I'm out with my woman. Where if we get jumped by an attacker I throw my girl at'em while I run away screaming.:D

Kristoffer
01-18-2002, 09:57 AM
I'd do that too

Sharky
01-18-2002, 10:18 AM
too late i got the D version 6-cell. i will probably give this to my brother anyway, he loves collecting them, and its hard to get anything other than a 2D cell. I got a already 2D and 4D cell. plus i just bought a belt holster.

and i bought 7 packs of skittles, yum. i got an exam tomorrow, better go learn some internet protocols, woop.

guohuen
01-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Four D is good, not too long for use in close quarters. Long as it fits at least between the fingers and the elbow.
Oh yeah, not much better than a dog or two to keep burglers out of your home.

Tigerstyle
01-18-2002, 12:40 PM
txwingchun,
LOL! That is a dirty trick.

It is amazing how easy locksmiths can get into stuff, so I think they would be a valuable source of info (for... er... crime prevention, of course).

nightair
01-18-2002, 01:09 PM
I used to study from the anarchist cookbook. But i grew out of that stage. I also used to read espionage stuff from the paladin press.

Ryu
01-18-2002, 01:17 PM
LOL @ txwingchun. A picture of that just came into my mind.

DelicateSound
01-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Sharky
Guys, what dirty tricks do you know? I don't mean so much like self defence stuff, i mean like crime prevention by the fact that you know how the criminal thinks. Like common ways of breaking and entering, the tools they use, the methods etc.

*It's all too easy to pick a lock, then bash off the top and bottom deadbolts [if they're the p!ss flimsy ones] All you need is a screwdriver to wedge the base, and a hairpin to push up the counters. It might take a while to do - but it leaves litle trace. I leave a key in my lock, turned horizontal, to block out the lock.

*Crims generally go for a rear window to break, usually one by a latch-style door, or a small top window. They rarely break big-ones, preferring to open a door to sneak out the goods. Big broken windows make a lot of noise and more visible. Try double-glazing if you can, or alarmed glass.

*Most alarms are now tamper proof, but ones w/o battery back up can simply have the mains cut, if the guy knows what he's doing. Many sensors are positioned too high, and you can just crawl under them esp. if they're pet-proof ones. Get one connected to the cops - and keep Rover in the basement, even if he does sh!t in the corner sometimes.

*Garage doors. All too easy to prise open - the mechanisms are weak and flimsy. I broke into my own garage once when I lost my key. Make sure the door from garage to house is LOCKED. Firmly.

MightyB
01-18-2002, 01:40 PM
If you have an automatic garage door... take your garage door opener into a couple of other neighborhoods and start shooting random garages. You'll be amazed at how many you can open.

Also, unless a person buys a custom lock, padlocks only have a few variations of keys that they use. They're mass produced, so if you have a padlock, you can go to the local storage facility and open up a percentage of them with your key.

Sharky
01-18-2002, 02:21 PM
thanks, last two replies are what i'm looking for!

delicate, i find even simple locks difficult to pick, i don't have a little hooking device to hose the base up, are you sure you can just use a screw driver? what type of lock are we talking about here?

i did through a phase of wanting to learn how to pick locks, not to get into other peoples houses or do malace, but just cos it could come **** handy. and it's cool :rolleyes:

cheers, keep em coming

DelicateSound
01-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Most locks work on a counter system - basically you get a row of counters inside that are pushed up when the key turns, that in turn frees the deadbolt. Most main back door locks [key opens and locks it] and latch-system locks [inside door lever turns lock] work on this simple system.

To pick them, you need to do 2 things.

1)Use a screwdriver or other similar object [change according to size of lock] to wedge in the base of the lock, to act as leverage for the actual pick.

2) Pick it! I use a hairpin on my backdoor, but for smaller locks a needle it used. It needs to be straight, with a 90 degree hook at the end. A right angle kind of shape, but curved and pretty small.

The knack is knowing how to turn the counters. Its hard to explain - you need to flick each counter in succession [some need a specific order to work]. You lever the pick against the bar to gain pressure. Randow wigling is usually in vain.

I'm no criminal - I learnt because its a useful skill. I leant off the internet - I just typed in a Google search for "lockpicking" and followed the text and diagrams on a site. I practised on my own locks at home. I now keep a pick and bar in my garden - in case I get locked out.

Try "JollyRogers Cookbook" they used to have some articles on the subject.

P.S - DO NOT buy a professional lockpick, you need a license to carry one - and if caught with one you WILL get 2 years hard time, even if its in your house, not just on your person.

BTW - Any cops out there? My name is Josh Rakowski and I'm from Maryland USA! :D

neptunesfall
01-18-2002, 04:16 PM
BTW - Any cops out there? My name is Josh Rakowski and I'm from Maryland USA!

LOL!

txwingchun
01-18-2002, 04:17 PM
Here's a website with more lockpicking info
http://www.gregmiller.net/locks/