PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Calisthenics?

Golden Arms
01-18-2002, 09:53 AM
All right, simple question, what EXACTLY are Calisthenics, and what are some examples? Also, is any one group of atheletes known for using them (swimmers, body builders, boxers, etc.)?

-Golden Arms-

hughes
01-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Exercises utilising body weight, ie push ups, sit ups,chin ups etc

SevenStar
01-19-2002, 07:08 PM
I don't know of any group of atheletes that uses them exclusively, they will weight train to supplement it. The military is big on calisthenics. The premise is that they want soldiers to have "functional muscle"

David Jamieson
01-20-2002, 12:53 AM
calesthenics are combinations of aerobic and anaerobic exercises wherein your only resistance is your own body weight (as hughes has said).

peace

Golden Arms
01-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the responses, I was curious if Calisthenics can be used without other weight training to build mass, or at least keep the same level of musclemass and muscletone effectively? I have heard that people in prison often do a lot of calisthenic stuff..any thoughts?

guohuen
01-21-2002, 08:58 PM
Some people in prison have nothing better to do than work out almost all day. you'll never compete with them on a muscular level. Practice your tiger gong and other gongs and forget about it. Calisthenics waste your original jing and chi.

SevenStar
01-21-2002, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't recommend calisthenics for mass building unless you are a beginner. For mass, you should look toward weight training. I combine the two, but my mass is due to weight training.

Golden Arms
01-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the advice guys...I am not really looking to increase my mass much, if even at all. One thing I would like to get your thoughts on. I worked out with a guy that was ripped to hell, and really strong, and also had gotten a decent amount of mass, but here is the catch....He claims to have done this all with ultra high rep workouts and i mean ULTRA High reps....his average workout would take 2-3 hours and he would do low weight, but high reps in several sets. He said that it was slow going, but that over 7 years or so he had built up to the size he was now, and he had kept his muscle tone, flexiblity, and strength....is this something that other people could follow to gain similar results or do you think he was working more with genetics than being on to something that works for others?

-Golden Arms-