PDA

View Full Version : Lau Gar Info

Three_Eyed_Kronos
11-17-2000, 09:58 PM
Anybody here know of any Lau Gar sites? With some history and info? Or if there's anybody out there who knows it well? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Three_Eyed_Kronos
11-18-2000, 09:26 PM
come on people.........

MoQ
11-18-2000, 09:35 PM
Use that extra eye to do some homework... http://www.dogpile.com

Ben Gash
11-23-2000, 02:19 PM
Hi, Lau gar is one of the 5 family styles of Southern Shaolin (along with Choy, Li, Hung and Mok). It is nominally a shorthand system, although it's moves are a bit bigger than Bak Mei or 5 Ancestors. The biggest group in the UK is Jeremy Yau's BKFA, and there's a bit of info on their website. i can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it's www.bkfa.org (http://www.bkfa.org) .
Most Lau Gar clubs in the UK place a lot of emphasis on freestyle kickboxing/sport karate. While this has greatly raised the profile of the art, it has caused it to be looked down on by other kung fu styles.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

cirendragon
03-07-2001, 11:52 PM
It is clear that Ben Gash is a knowledgeable practitioner of the martial arts but I would like to take advantage of my new membership to kung fu magazine to correct some rather ill informed statements made by Ben Gash. He states in his reply to Three Eyed Kronos that Lau clubs place much emphasis on sport kickboxing. This is far from the truth. In actual fact the traditional art is overwhelmingly the main focus of the organisation. Kickboxing is simply an optional extra incorporated into the organisation for the benefits of healthy competition, fun, and fitness, mostly for the younger students who desire to test their skills. Kickboxing is not a part of the Lau Gar syllabus and as such is taught in separate classes so as not to confuse it with traditonal training.

Yours in kung fu
Cirendragon

[This message was edited by cirendragon on 03-08-01 at 02:07 PM.]

MarkS
03-08-2001, 03:04 PM
cirendragon:Lau clubs place much emphasis on sport kickboxing. This is far from the truth. In actual fact the traditional art is overwhelmingly the main focus of the organisation.

OK, we'll have to take your word that in your club this is the case. However in all the cases I have ever seen this is not the case.
May I ask as to what you may consider traditional art? What yardstick do you measure this against?
Have you seen any Hung Gar, or Xinyiquan, or Loong Ying or Choy Li Fut or any other traditional chinese martial art? How long have you been training in Lau Gar and have you ever trained in anything else?
Youthful enthusiasm for ones system is a good thing, just doesnt mean its the correct thing, as most of us often find out.

Mark

alecM
03-08-2001, 07:09 PM
Jeremy Yau is one of the Sifu’s featured on the Chinese Masters Of Kung Fu video. As with the other masters on the tape gives an interview and a demonstration of some kung fu forms.

Saying is not boasting at all

bean curd
03-09-2001, 05:38 AM
this lau gar kuen is there a site that will show some of its flavour.

from what i am reading it is lau gar of the 5 families, and would be interested in seeing it flavour.

can anyone help

PM
03-11-2001, 02:54 PM
Hi, look at www.hungga.net (http://www.hungga.net) - in the Sets & Techniques section there is an article on Lau family style. Enjoy!

PM

bean curd
03-13-2001, 10:33 AM
PM, thanks for the info. i do hung kuen so am familiar with these forms. although the info on this site is questionable, but then that is another issue, which i care not to discuss.

this thread, as i have read it, leans towards the fact that there are teachers who teach only lau gar kuen, it is these sites i was looking at to see the flavour of this lau gar and compare with what i know

thanks again

lausan
03-20-2001, 03:45 PM
There are Lau Gar clubs all over the UK.Check out
the B.K.F.A web sight mentioned above.This will provide you with the info you are looking for.
Also try Accrington Lau Gar(can't remember address).
Regarding the argument of Lau Gar not being traditional,all i can say is that ever since i started training, the emphasis has been on the traditional side of the art.Anyone who has trained with Jeremy Yau, or any of his senior instructors will tell you this.Yes Lau Gar in the UK is well known for Producing World Class fighters at Semi and Full Contact,but even these fighters will tell you they have a strong traditional base.

[This message was edited by lausan on 03-21-01 at 06:02 AM.]