PDA

View Full Version : Range while fighting...

Golden Arms
01-18-2002, 04:30 PM
I asked a similar question in the reality forum and got a couple good responses, what do you think. In a real fight/confrontation what is the realistic range that it is going to take place, for the most part? Kicking range, long punching range, Short striking/Grappling range, Ground, The best fighter decides, or what? All opinions appreciated! Fire away

-Golden Arms-

Brad Souders
01-18-2002, 05:55 PM
100% will start on their feet/ 90% will end in a clinch or on the ground

CanadianBadAss
01-18-2002, 06:28 PM
most real fights are in close, and look like hockey fights, and when the other guy starts to lose he'll hug on to you and you might go to the ground.
Its usaully only competitions or planned matchs where you'll see people keeping distance, pacing around each other, waiting for the right time to go in and such.

SevenStar
01-18-2002, 06:33 PM
"100% will start on their feet/ 90% will end in a clinch or on the ground"

most fights will no doubt end in a clinch, but not all of them go to the ground. I haven't seen too many that have, and of the ones I've been in, they've never gone to the ground. Of the fights I've witnessed, if something occurs on the ground, it's because a person was off balance, got thrown or was knocked down, and in those instances, the other person was on his feet stomping and kicking the downed guy.

IMO, the range you will most likely end up in while fighting is the clinch. It will begin in punching range and progress to the clinch. If it lasts long enough, someone will lose balance or get thrown whil in clinch range, and one oponent will begin stomping.

SifuAbel
01-19-2002, 02:53 AM
I guess I belong to the 10% club.

jon
01-19-2002, 03:33 AM
"In a real fight/confrontation what is the realistic range that it is going to take place, for the most part?"
- The one you didnt train for...

Im dead serious, you need to understand all ranges to be effective. You dont have to be a master in them all, but if you cant understand distance, you may be steamrolled by a northen Bagwa player [they circle around you]. If you cant understand the clinch you will be distroyed by a wrestler or anyone with grappling experience. If you cant kick and havent been trained to deal with them you will break your arm trying to block someone who is proficent with there legs. The best thing to do is to train for any possibility but at the same time be aware of your weaknesses and strengths, as true fighting skill comes from learning to exploit those aspects.
Just my 2 cents...

Braden
01-19-2002, 03:41 AM
Golden Arms - Short striking/grappling range.

Jon - Bagua practitioners tend to fight extremely close up, rather than at distance. In fact, _extremely_ close up; more judo range than wing chun range.

jon
01-19-2002, 04:37 AM
I used bagwa as example more for there footwork, as they slide in and around you. Having no concept of distancing you would be constantly trying to reajust as they dont simply stay in the same place.