PDA

View Full Version : Eating Meat to Lose Weight

Leonidas
01-18-2002, 08:54 PM
I was just watching DateLine or whatever the hell it's called. This guy named Atkins created this diet plan high in protein low in carbohydrates. His reasoning is if you cut down on carbohydrates your body is forced to used reserves. Has anyone ever eatin Steaks to lose weight. It sounds interesting and doesn't seem to be that unhealthy from the testimonials.

respectmankind
01-18-2002, 08:58 PM
friend, the idea is to get your muscles to function on protein rather than carbs, thus, working more efficient and burning fat longer and better. downside is that if you wish to lose weight fast, protein is not teh way to go, it takes about 2 months to get your body on meat for fuel

SifuAbel
IMHO, The zone 40-30-30 system is more sane and balanced.

David Jamieson
caloric restriction with a straight meat diet is not a terrible thing, but you sure get tired of the lack of variety pretty quick.

red meat is not a big fave. fish and chicken are the preferred sources of protien in my house.

peace

Leonidas
01-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Whats the 40-30-30 diet

Mr. Nemo
01-18-2002, 09:03 PM
"the idea is to get your muscles to function on protein rather than carbs, thus, working more efficient and burning fat longer and better. downside is that if you wish to lose weight fast, protein is not teh way to go, it takes about 2 months to get your body on meat for fuel"

I don't know what kind of diet this is, but I've never heard of it. It's not the archetypal "low-carb" diet.

The idea of the atkins diet is to put your body into a state in which it doesn't have glycogen from carbohydrates to use for energy. In this state, your body will turn to fat reserves for energy. I've used the zone diet and lost weight on it, and it didn't require more than a little willpower to stay on it. I've used low-carb diets as well, and lost weight on those as well. I prefer the zone diet, myself.

Leonidas: A 40-30-30 diet is a diet where you get 40% of your calories from carbohydrates, 30% from protein, and 30% from fat. The Zone diet is an example of this.

respectmankind
01-18-2002, 09:05 PM
nemo, i ment that, when i looked back, i realised what i wrote looked idiotic, like i probaly will when i look at this one

SifuAbel
01-18-2002, 09:10 PM
40% protein
30% carb/non starch
30% non animal dietary fat

This plan is mostly about haveing balanced meals and a balanced amount of each per meal in sane quatities.

Turiyan
01-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Leonidas
I was just watching DateLine or whatever the hell it's called. This guy named Atkins created this diet plan high in protein low in carbohydrates. His reasoning is if you cut down on carbohydrates your body is forced to used reserves. Has anyone ever eatin Steaks to lose weight. It sounds interesting and doesn't seem to be that unhealthy from the testimonials.

The main problem is that people are trying to reverse hundreds of years of adaptation. This was the diet of ancient man. Eskimo's for example have a diet that would kill 95% of anyone on earth.

Consequently, they are do rugged physical labor and are said to be stronger than the similar types found in central asia. Like mongolians.

Life expectancy is also shorter, and they have other health problems to deal with. The key word is balance. And thats hard to get when your dealing the the body, genetics and metabolism.

Something that isnt very much stressed, if at all with these "new" diets is the issues of digestion, assimilation and absorbtion.

Animal flesh is actually the only thing you can eat that doesnt have to be predigested in the mouth. Its not what the eskimo's or siberian or mongol types eat.

Its HOW they eat. And HOW they live. Before you go out into the harsh enviornment, you eat for "the day". This often means swallowing huge chungs of meat or blubber.

The chunks are too big to fit through the alimentary valve and is effectivly "cooked" by the stomach. The stomach chakra in sanskrit is a agglunative derivation for the name of the god associated with heat, fire or light (sun).

The ancients would often swallow meat for the purpose of sacrifice, as an alternative to burning it in a fire. This cooking of the meat in the stomach also raises the body temperature and metabolism.

Its effectivly a type of thermogenic digestion. Contrary to popular myth, eskimo's also get vegetables. Concentrated plant matter. Seaweed and lichens. Obtained by eating the stomach contents of the animals they kill.

These are not starchy vegetables like potato's or grains. Issues of mixing are also a problem. Citris fruits with grains. Meats with dairy. Ect.

Fats are the last things to leave the small intestine. Before that, protien. Which has to be broken down and converted into a free form to be used by the body. Before they, carbohydrates. And of the latter, complex and simplex.

Hunger doesnt come from an empty stomach, it comes from the blood/cell's. You can eat and be hungry 15 minutes later and it has nothing to do with what you ate or digestion.

It takes several hours for protien to start hitting your blood sugar levels. Your bodys like a kid, it wants to eat sweets first.

If I remember correctly the small intestine is like a camera lense. The pores are like aperatures that shrink or enlarge. The simple carbohydrates go first because they are smallest. Lastly come lipids because of their viscosity, ect.

By that time your talking about perhaps 9-12 hours or more. Your body wants to burn carbs first for so many reasons BEFORE the food even gets into your blood stream.

Physical work directs blood away from the stomach. Cold drinks shrink the pores which secrete stomach acid which break down what you eat. The list goes on. So many things that can "go wrong" in the process.

Then we get to the fun part. When and how and why the body decides to convert protein to "sugar" or "fat" before its used to build the body.

I'm not going there because I dont have the time or space. We get a new system tomorrow. But the tricking of the system to cut down on carb intake is just that IMO.

Our bodys make all the "sugar" or "carbs" we need. Its also why you should take the naysaying against the diets with a grain of salt.

Protein can become muscle, tissue, cells, sugar or fat. Complex sugars are not "sucrose" or "starch". But we are talking now about chemistry.

There's an old sayin: "Doctors arent chemists"

You should check out the latest info on coconut and palm oils for increasing metabolism. Interesting stuff.

Maybe i'll post some links later on.

Maybe.

SifuAbel
01-18-2002, 09:27 PM
it should be 40 carb and 30 protein.

it's the kava kava talking.

whippinghand
01-18-2002, 09:44 PM
I've done the diet, and am doing the diet. It works...... fast. You notice a difference in 2 days.

Mr. Nemo
01-18-2002, 09:56 PM
"The main problem is that people are trying to reverse hundreds of years of adaptation. This was the diet of ancient man."

As I understand it, the human digestive system has not changed it composotion since humans followed a predominantly hunter-gatherer diet. I didn't quite follow the rest of your post.

GreyMystik
01-18-2002, 10:01 PM
if anyone wants a good article on how these diets work, and it explains them pretty well (easy to understand), check out this link:

http://askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_60/63_eating_well.html

whippinghand
01-19-2002, 10:46 AM
The best thing is to read Atkins' book: New Diet Revolution.

Read all the articles you want. All you'll get is a bunch of disapprovals, and some pros and cons, based on MODERN diets theories.

Read the book to get the real understanding. Who would understand the Atkins diet better than Dr. Atkins, himself?

JasBourne
01-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Bodybuilders have been doing the trick Atkins uses for decades. It's called putting your body into ketosis, and BB's sometimes use it to get ultra-cut right before a competition. It is NOT healthy long-term, it can damage your internal organs.

To do it yourself without any Atkins mumbo-jumbo marketing crapola, you just eat NOTHING except meats and greens for about a week (absolutely zero carbs of any kind. Even one mouthful can screw you up). Go to the drugstore and get a ketosis test kit, sold over the counter at the pharmacy section. It consists of test sticks for your pee. Test your urine morning and night until the stick shows you are in ketosis (two or three days, depending how fit you are). Start marking time at at point, and don't go more than a week on the meats and greens bit. That's it, and you'll see a nice visual improvement in your musculature.

whippinghand
01-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Zero carbs is very difficult to do. Lower them as much as possible. You don't have to do zero carbs to be in ketosis.

If you're interested in my few low-carb creations, let me know.

Justa Man
01-19-2002, 01:42 PM
a REALLY interesting variation of the Atkins diet (so to speak) is put out by this cat, aajonis vonderplanitz. do a search on him if you are interested or just have nothing to do and are tired of the lame-a$$ posts on this board. :D

Paul
01-19-2002, 01:57 PM
A 40-30-30 diet is a diet where you get 40% of your calories from carbohydrates, 30% from protein, and 30% from fat.

I've used this diet before with success. I was doing Endurance sports at the time, long distance running and a few other things.

You still have to dial in the correct amount of calories per day to make this work.

A lot of people have a hard time getting rid of that last 5-10 pounds, If you use this diet combined with exercise that extra fat will be gone in a matter of weeks.

SifuAbel
01-19-2002, 02:29 PM
Since moving down from the bay area, Ive lost 25 lbs. Now I'm 205 and feel light as a feather. Girls are starting to look at my b utt again. WOOHOO! It's because of the reduction in stress and a level eating regimen.

Also, stress makes your body build fat internally, which is a killer.
How can you tell between the healthy and unhealthy fat? Lay down, if your belly doesn't lay to the sides and stays firm in place then you have killer fat.