PDA

View Full Version : Nine Esoteric Seals

dz
01-19-2002, 02:33 AM
Hello,

I posted this one on the Qigong board, but thought that I might get more/better response here. Here we go:

I bought Shou-Yu Liang's Qigong Empowerment a while ago, and after reading the book I got very interested in the Nine Esoteric Seals Qigong. Now, there are instructions on how to perform this kind of Qigong in the book, but I found it quite insufficient to learn from the short text and few pictures.

Now, I know that one should really try to find a good teacher when learning Qigong. But until I find a good master that knows the Nine Esoteric Seals, I want to do some research myself. My question is: Does anyone of you know anything about this kind of Qigong or where I can find more information about it? Books, or even better, videos maybe?

Regards,

Wai

redfist
01-19-2002, 11:24 AM
this information is not on video as far as i know,

master liang lives in vancouver,canada
it is worth the effort to study with him.

Cody
01-19-2002, 09:17 PM
I recently acquired this book because I was curious. While I haven't been able to turn my attention to it yet, I, too, was drawn to the seals, partially because hand positions along those lines appear elsewhere. While I am put off by visualizations and mantras, I do wonder if the work can be approached differently. I am sensing something akin to a formula, and I would like to know it's essence and/or a parallel methodology. But, that is something else. Thank you for reminding me of this notion, which I might follow up.

I understand your frustration; however, I don't think that the book is meant to be an intensive instruction manual. Rather, an overview, from which the student can find that which is of interest.
Even with a quick glance, I would say this subject matter is not suitable for video instruction. That is my opinion. I haven't experienced it, but I would say it goes very deep into the physical and psyche such that the supervision of a teacher probably would be necessary under most circumstances.

I would suggest that you write to Master Liang. Tell him your background and what you hope to learn thru these exercises. Maybe he will have a suggestion.

Cody

dz
01-21-2002, 09:07 AM
redfist/Cody
Hmm, you guys are right. The most sensible thing to do would be to contact master Liang himself. I've done some searching on the net and found www.shouyuliang.com, I'll try to reach master Liang from there. Thanks guys! :)

Regards,

Wai

[Censored]
01-21-2002, 11:36 AM
...While I am put off by visualizations and mantras...

Why? Just curious.

Cody
01-21-2002, 11:51 PM
While there is a great deal to be learned from various kinds of teachings, I prefer to not immerse myself in words, ideas, visualizations that have no meaning to me because I am not a believer in any religious system, and am cautious with conscious/subconscious connections and altered states of consciousness.

As an example, I do not wish to wear a crown of five wisdoms on my head, nor engage in that sort of imagery. I don't want to have my heart become a lion king. If I take on an animal identity, which is part of me expressed, it does not arise from this sort of formulation. It just happens, and behaves naturally, without direction of this sort. Specifically, it has happened with forms practice, specifically single unit repetitions, and establishing an emotional connection with it. With experimenting with the energy associated with a given motion. I don't think it would be good for me, or honest, to follow something else. I do have an interest in the use of sound to resonate with different energies in the body, something I have little experience with. The little I have done did not involve imagery or words, just a Kung Fu move accompanied by a specific sound. I didn't concentrate on any body part or goal, the motion and sound led me there.

While some martial arts moves and sounds are associated with certain animals, and one finds that within the self to the extent that it is there in order to discover, become aware of, and act with the more primitive mind. I would not hold the image of that animal within my mind. Rather, my self as it naturally transforms. True, the seeing of an animal or a particular picture, or even a piece of sculpture can have a transforming effect, where you discover a connection to it within the self. A catalyst, if you will. Once that is accomplished, I would not return to the outside source to visualize it and bring about a state in myself. This is not what I want to do.

I'm not saying it is wrong for anyone else, especially for a believer, educated in the religious symbolism. But, it would not be right for me to become one with a "Wrathful Meditational Deity" in which I have no belief. Rather, I would find my own face without seeking to become one with anything else. While it can be said that it might eventually amount to the same thing, it doesn't mean this for me. I had a teacher who taught me a face of ferocity. He stood in front of me and did it and encouraged me to "answer" with my own. There was no other imagery or example. I am comfortable with this.

I don't know as much as I would like, and I would like to know more. But, I would need a different mental climate in order to accomplish this honestly and to feel safe in the learning process.

Cody

prana
01-22-2002, 05:20 PM
I practise this, if you want to know more, PM me. But not from this master...