PDA

View Full Version : Strength building

tri2bmt
01-19-2002, 02:05 PM
I'm interested in focusing my strength training on just a few core exercises that have a maximal mass and strength gain. I'm talking about pullups, deadlifts, bench press etc.
What sort of core exercises are there you guys would recommend.

lowsweep
01-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Dumbell bench, squats, and deadlifts are what you need to get big. Heavy compound excercises like these strengthen your whole body and force your body to realease lots of testosterone, which lets you pack on lots of muscle. You also might wasnt to check out dips, I have heard great things about what they can do for upper body size but I havent tried them myself. If you want to get big, diet is almost everything. You will need lots of essential fats, lots of extra calories, and most importantly a TON of protein (1-1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight is what's usually recommended).

Robinf
01-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Squats are my favorite--you can do a squat to a curl. There are other exercises that are good like lunge to balance to over head press--do this one in different planes, like straight ahead, to the side and turning to angle. Go for pushups with rotation.

How are those?

Robin

rubthebuddha
01-22-2002, 10:55 AM
don't forget the back! some back extensions (reverse of situps) and lat work will help balance out that huge chest you're going to get.

Robinf
01-22-2002, 01:13 PM
Good catch, rubthebudda. :cool:

Kumkuat
01-22-2002, 01:21 PM
squats and eat a lot.

Paul
01-22-2002, 01:24 PM
y'all do know that deadlifts (as mentioned several times already) work the back, right? I can feel it in my upper and lower back.

Ford Prefect
01-22-2002, 03:00 PM
Legs/Back:

Goodmorning
Box Squat
Deadlift
Reverse Hyoerextensions
Glute/Ham Raises
One-arm Dumbell Snatch
Romanian Deadlifts
Pull Through
Pistols

Press Power:

Floor Press
Board Press
Pin Press
Close-grip Incline Press
Bench Press
Side Press
Skull Crushers
One-arm Push-ups

Pulling:

Pull-ups/Chin-ups
One-arm Pull-up/Chin-ups

IronFist
01-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Deadlift and Bench Press work your whole body. If you want to get a little more specific:

Squat, Weighted Pullups, and Bench Press also will do the trick. Here is the difference:

Deadlifts work your legs and back a bit. Squats work your legs. If you squat and bench press, you will not have adaquate back development, bench the weighted pullups (or unweighted if you can't do weighted). If you can't do pullups lat pulldowns work.

These exercises are much better for core strength than things like curls, tricep extensions, etc.

Um, you might want to occassionally add something for your side (medial) delts and calves, as these kind of escape the routine here.

Oh yeah, keep your abs tight during squats and deadlifts, and bench, too.

Iron

IronFist
01-22-2002, 03:20 PM
I forgot to clarify this. Bench press works all the pushing muscles in your body. Squats works your legs. Pullups work all the pulling muscles.

Deadlifts work your legs and the pulluing muscles, although less directly than pullups, IMO.

Iron

Ford Prefect
01-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Deads also nail your abs pretty hard when you start advancing in weight.

IronFist
01-22-2002, 06:34 PM
Good call Ford.

Iron