PDA

View Full Version : How many people here consider themselves authorities on Wing Chun?

fgxpanzerz
01-19-2002, 10:38 PM
What I mean is, how many people here think themselves with enough experience to teach people. I met a guy once who teaches a class of people on his own. Whatever happened to getting a Sifu's permission before teaching? I think that too many people teach and not enough people spend time studying. That's why Wing Chun has spread too far too fast. I once met some fellow wing chunners who came to my school. THey all had their heads up their a$$es and talked as if they were "experts." All of u, start practicing and stop teaching the wrong $hit!

anerlich
01-20-2002, 02:39 AM
I have my Sifu's permission to teach, as he had with his Sifu.

If that makes me an authority or expert is for others to judge.

Sam
01-20-2002, 12:10 PM
Proper etiquette is to respect your lineage and Sifu. If you have done this with everyones blessing's then you can teach. Remember "HANDS" always tell so learn your art well. Do not disgrace it's name.

www.buddhapalm.com

Sihing73
01-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Hello,

When I read your question I had to think about what makes one an authority? Is it the accumulation of knowlege, the ability to pass on that knowledge, the ability to put that knowledge into practical use or is it the blessing or "certification" of another?

You mention getting your Sifus permission prior to teaching. What about someone who is pressured into teaching before they feel they are ready? In some organizations the desire to market and become larger can result in many teaching prior to their being fully ready. Of course, this is just my own opinion and may not mean much. Without mentioning names there is currently at least one group which is establishing schools with many still ranked in the student grades. Of course, there are also the many correspondence courses, one year special intensive classes etc. which all serve a purpose. Yet, does completion of these consitute becoming an authority on anything other than that one approach?

Does completing the system make one an authority? Is it possible for someone who has learned less to be more of an authority who has learned more?

It is my humble opinion that each one of us who practices Wing Chun is on a never ending journey. That journey is in danger of stopping once one considers they have reached mastery or has become an authority. In my mind one is not an authority but a student who is ever seeking additional knowledge. Others may see the knowledge and level of technical ability and say "there goes an authority" and to them, this may be the case. However, no one is truly an authority except where it concerns themselves and their approach to the art. What may work for me may not work for someone else. While I may help them to find the path they still have to walk it, as do I. To me, such titles as Master, Sifu, Authority etc are artificial and run the risk of taking ones eyes from the path. When one accepts such titles from an ego centered basis then one has stopped their growth and thus becomes even less of an authority as they can go no further.

When one accepts a student then one also accepts the responsibility for directing them along a certain path. Is this more important than the title of "authority" or lack of it?

Sometimes one can become too caught up with titles and lose the meaning behind them. However, when one sets out to judge the motivations behind someones actions it is best to insure that ones motivation is true and not with its own agenda.

In conclusion I do not consider myself to be an authority when it comes to Wing Chun. There are those whom I respect and whom I may consider an authoirty, in their specific method or approach. However, no one is an authority on the art of Wing Chun only on their individual approaches.

Peace,

Dave

whippinghand
01-20-2002, 06:00 PM
I "agree" with your sentiments.

fgxpanzerz
01-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Sihing73,
When I mentioned authority I must've defined it wrong. All I meant was that many people are so quick to say if a form is wrong or if u should do this or not do that when they dont really have the knowledge to do that. It happens to me all the time and I cant stand it. This is why I never teach people anything. I hate when people try to teach me things they dont know much about.

Sihing73
01-20-2002, 07:42 PM
Hello fgxpanzerz,

I understand your view and I can agree to a point. I perform my SNT quite differently than most people. I have been told that it is wrong. Let's forget whether or not it is effective, ;) it is wrong because it is not how most people do the form.

You can only comment with "authority" on the way you have been taught and practice. I don't, or at least try not to, tell my students are wrong. I will point out my reasons for not doing something a particular way and doing it another way instead. However, my way may not be right for someone esle. The key is to take the art and the concepts which make the art up and applying them in a way which best suits our personality and body type. You can take two people from the same school and you will notice slight differences in their forms and applications. The differences may be very subtle but no two people will do things the exact same way. Thus what is "right" for one person may be "wrong" for another. Even when they outwardly appear to be the same. Gets a little deep if you think about it.

As to not teaching others; that is a personal choice which each of us must make. The first thing that both the student and teacher must do is learn to empty their cups. Without that mindset there is little to be accomplished on either side, IMHO. With that mindset then is nothing that can not be learned. Knowledge can be found anywhere, even in the most unlikely places.

Peace,

Dave

whippinghand
01-20-2002, 09:17 PM
no sarcasm, fxabcdefg...

Gazza
01-21-2002, 10:47 AM
hi all.
I agree with both sides as I know Ican be very opinionated.

Whipping hand. if that was a joke I liked it. (very good ):D

Gary.