PDA

View Full Version : close grip benchpress

ged
01-20-2002, 01:08 AM
first of all i have to say that close-grip bench press has done more for me than any other triceps exercise ive tried..... but im not quite sure about exact form.

are elbows to be kept in? does positioning of elbows affect the degree to which pecs are used, instead of shoulders/triceps? ive heard that close--grip bench is meant to work inner pecs... ive never really understood how though.... if pecs are meant to draw your upper arm inwards towards your chest, can someone explain to me how changing bar-grip would change the area of pecs worked?

ill give a little more description on my dilemma - theres two ways that i end up doing this exercise...... one way, i keep my elbows close together, and the bar (in rest position) rests right up under my neck. my elbows at this point are practically on the bench, down beside my hips. the other way, my elbows drop below the bench, and the bar usually rests down below the pec-line.

thanks for any replies....... any information, or links to proper form pages, would be very appreciated.

SevenStar
01-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Have your hands bewteen 12 and 18 inches apart. Keep your elbows as close to you a possible, it works the tricep more.

SevenStar
01-20-2002, 08:29 AM
I just found a badass link. check this out:

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exercise/exercise_animated_demo_popup/0,3132,1_di_307,00.html

Itr sucks that you have to pay for access to most of the site.

ged
01-21-2002, 02:05 AM
thanks for that...... nice little animation. id been doing it with my hands almost touching..... im not sure why, i think i read it in another post. ill give the other way a go.