PDA

View Full Version : At the book store today...

PHILBERT
01-20-2002, 04:32 PM
and I went to check out the Martial Arts section and I tried not to laugh. I found a copy of Stephen Hayes Ninja books volume 2 (I think) with the ORIGINAL covers when he is standing there next to a ninja in a photo. It was marked down to like $2, but I didnt get it. I wish I had now that I thought of it.

Anyway, I ended up getting 2 books to toss on my shelf, Hung Gar Kung Fu by Bucksam Kong and Eugene H. Ho and then Choy Lay Fat Kung Fu by Leo T. Fong. Everyone probably knows that book, Wing Chun Kung Fu by James Lee right? Well this is the same type of book. The covers, the lettering, just the same.

I also found 4 books by Ashida Kim, all of them the Ninjutsu For Women. I started laughing and was flipping through it and saw Christopher Hunter practicing with the women (and loosing to illustrate how a women can over power him). If I had a pen and paper, I would of written a note in each book saying not to buy it.

Perhaps the FUNNIEST book I saw was something like "Shaolin Spirt" by none other than David Carridine (sp?). I flipped through it and it was just text and I think meditation. It said on the inside cover talking about how he has achieved spirtual attaintment. I was thinking "yeah through mind altering substances." I can't believe the crap they put out.

Now I have 2 books and I don't know what to do with. Oh well.

old jong
01-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Hey! I have that book! Wow' everytimes I want to immerse myself in that seventies feeling when I was an avid fan of the Kung Fu serial on TV! I look in that book!:D Ahhhh... Take the peeble from my hand Grasshopper!;) The good old days!;)

David Jamieson
01-20-2002, 08:31 PM
The flashbacks were the best part of that show.
Po and Kan were great characters.

peace

Colin
01-21-2002, 12:28 PM
This time kung lek I disagree with you!
To say that the flash backs were the best part is to simply under estimate the show as a whole.
I remember, as I see old jong does also, that although the temple scenes were excellent, it was the whole encompassing feel of the show that really gets me.
Perhaps you were just a child in 1973? and didn't experience the ground breaking impact the program had on us.
Either way nothing can ever surpass "Kung Fu" on TV, because we'd never seen anything like it before, and it opened our minds!

regards
Colin.the old one!

David Jamieson
01-21-2002, 12:55 PM
in 73 I was 9, so yeah, I was just a little kid.
Still, I've seen a few since on the sattellite (Sifu had me taping them for him at one time :) )

I still think the flashbacks were the best part. The show as a whole was ok, but the flashbacks were neato!

peace

Godzilla
01-21-2002, 12:55 PM
He isn’t you know! That’s all tabloid rumor crap. Cane is Cane. David Caradine is David Caradine. They just look similar and the media has gotten them mixed up.

To clarify: Cane is an enlightened Kung Fu Master with chi powers approaching Goku (I believe Goku’s ability may be exagerated). He can become invisible just by thinking it, can climb the side of a building (Spiderman needs webs and sticky spidey fingers, Cane doesn’t), can float in space without the use of gimmicky strings or poles (I saw it for real on TV), and is still alive living in China Town.

This Caradine guy is trying to leverage his career off Cane. But Cane does not care. He is a true Master! Not interested in material things, like fame or fortune. You could steal his bag full of herbs and he wouldn’t care.

I hope this clears things up for the board and the Martial Arts community in general.

Godzilla

I Hate Ashida Kim
01-21-2002, 03:23 PM
I also found 4 books by Ashida Kim, all of them the Ninjutsu For Women. I started laughing and was flipping through it and saw Christopher Hunter practicing with the women (and loosing to illustrate how a women can over power him). If I had a pen and paper, I would of written a note in each book saying not to buy it.

You should have. Or, you could have written that in them on the actualy pages, not on the paper. Or just defaced the covers.

IHAK

Tigerstyle
01-21-2002, 03:34 PM
(In a Moe from "The Simpsons" voice):
Hey Everybody, IHAK's back!

(Sounds of grumbling, apathetic bar patrons)

jun_erh
01-21-2002, 07:42 PM
I have that Hung Gar book. I also have a basic Ju Jitsu book by them that's excellent. Their big claim to fame is the Bruce Lee fighting method books I guess. or anything with his name on it.

PHILBERT
01-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Hey IHAK! Where you been? We thought the Astral Spies killed you.

I Hate Ashida Kim
01-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey IHAK! Where you been? We thought the Astral Spies killed you.

I've been away for a while. The astral spies came but I called the Ghost Busters.

IHAK