PDA

View Full Version : Why practise internal energy

prana
01-20-2002, 07:54 PM
Right, people who know me know I always whinge and whine about energies.

So my question is how many people here train Martial Arts to generate the energy manipulation aspect of the arts ? I mean, do you find happiness out of training the physical power and fighting skills only ? Do you realise human beings become old and lose physical strength and physical agility. SUre there are masters out there at the age of 80 who can still do the splits, but that is not my point. People become sick and move on. I trained MA for something like 15 years, but I have never been in a real fight because of the training and because I cannot fight....

People who train the energy aspects of it. There are a few here who are interested in the healing aspects of it. Some for the spiritual aspects of it and others for the self health and others for other reasons. How did you come towards leaving the physical aspect of the arts altogether in search for the more subtle areas of the art ? How does your religion and culture affect your path in MA, especially in this respect ?

David Jamieson
01-20-2002, 07:57 PM
Nei Gong will only improve your "external" ability and skill.

It is physical practice involving physical energies. I don't think it would interfere with religious thought in any way. I don't think there is a religious aspect attached to it.

At least, not as I was taught.

peace

dezhen2001
01-21-2002, 02:54 AM
Hi Prana,

for years i had trained in the likes of Karate, Muay Thai and other 'external' Arts. Then i met my Sifu 18 months ago. I immediately stopped what i was doing to follow him! Now i study Wing Chun, Qigong (soft and Hard) and soon some Northen Shaolin. But i have noticed that the reason i train has changed. No more am i really concerned with learning fighting - although that does happen. I am training to develop my health, to stay healthy and developing an understanding of the skills i am learning. Many Arts have their roots in religion (Chan, Taoism...) but I don't think there is anything to do with religion, if you don't want there to be.

the thing that i have been thinking about lately, is that is there such a distinction between external and internal? Or are they part of the same thing? I guess that they need to go together to balance (?). The thing that i have noticed between 'them' is the difference in attitude (intent) when training. Apart from the differences in explanation of movement that is!

thanks,
david

red_fists
01-21-2002, 03:08 AM
Here are my 2 Yens worth.

Personally, I believe that each System needs to to contain both exernal and internal elements.

Sounds strange coming from a Tai Chi Guy. Not really.

First we learn the external part of the Form (movement sequence, basic postures)

Once that has been mastered we go and learn the internal aspects of the same form (breathing, Chi movement, etc).
And yes, I believe this to be true for all true Arts, not the sports arts or McDojo's.
Regardless of what each style claims or calls it, or training sequence.

But this won't be apparent to the student unless he studies the art to a high level.

jon
01-21-2002, 04:23 AM
As a student of an art long misconcived as an 'external' style- Hung Ga
And a new student of an 'internal' art- Bagua
I just have to say that was the most refreshing post ive read in a long time...

"Personally, I believe that each System needs to to contain both exernal and internal elements."
- I couldnt agree more! Im so glad to find someone else who thinks this way other than my Hung Ga sifu;) For an art to be totaly internal is pointless and if you look at any of the late century Tai Chi fighters you will soon see they mixed whipping explosive techniques in with the soft.
Internal is energy you apply to your external structure to create greater force. The body mechanics of so called 'internal' styles may be a little different but if there taught as fighting arts they all end up using external elements anyway.
Tai Chi especialy Yang style is pretty darn nasty in application if you ask me, i have no idea why many see it as such a soft gentle art.

01-21-2002, 08:39 AM
If I DON'T train, I'll have no release for my innate inner energies.

Since training, I've become much more at peace with myself. This colors the way I live, as my decisionmaking was wacked out for a long time due to parental misguidance.

In September, I'll be opening a traditional kung fu school to help others do the same.

KC Elbows
01-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Congrats Huang!! I'm sure your students will know to get their butts to work the first time you give 'em the stern look and say "Stupid waste of a class." Glad to hear another serious kung fu school will be opening out there.

I came to the internal stuff in the strangest way possible, I think. I was studying other stuff, and a friend showed me some push hands, and we'd play it all the time. Later, I saw tai chi and really didn't think much of it. Then, I got into Longfist(my first kung fu), and I loved it, didn't see the point of internal at all. Then, I moved, and the only MA I gained an interest in here was my present art. So I started practicing it, and my teacher, who also taught Wu style tai chi, played push hands with me, and said "Not too bad. Did you study Yang style?" I told him I'd never studied tai chi, and he got a big kick out of this. He asked if I was going to take Wu style with him, but I told him I was sticking with the six elbows stuff. He understood.

So, I started out in northern external and ended up in southern internal. I'm still working at it, but I've begun to specialize in the internal stuff, and I love it. I like the principles of fighting behind it, like saving energy instead of blowing it every moment you are fighting. As far as other benefits, Its made my posture better than any other exercise, it keeps me centered a lot of the time, I am more aware of my body and my surroundings, etc.

From here on out, except for maybe some ground grappling stuff, its internal for me all the way.