PDA

View Full Version : Is Technique Based Training Effective

Leonidas
01-20-2002, 09:05 PM
I'm specifically talking about styles like Ninpo. I know it has a few forms but i've read it has mostly techniques training (someone correct me on this). Is training in techniques as good as training in forms. It seems easier to remember that instead of hundreds of techniques. I'm sure its usable but wouldn't it take longer to gain skill. I've read abit about Ninja's being spies, assassins, thieves, all the usual lies but i've never really heard them described as accomplished fighters. They may have used trickery to escape a fight, smoke bombs, egg bombs etc. I never really recalled them holdind there own again Samurai. Probably because they wrote Japanese history but that's not the point.

red_fists
01-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Hi Leonidas.

Yes, Ninjutsu is "Waza" or skilled based training.

But than the majority of their curriculum is based on samurai Ju-Jitsu, with the "hidden/secret" skills as an add-on.

Yep, the popular history of Ninja is wrong and mostly fabricated.

Yes, technique training can be good and effective, but like with Form/Kata training it needs to be done properly.

IMHO, the best method is a mix of both.
Train forms and than take each movement/posture out and to single posture training. As isdone in my style

Or do technique training and than combine a few in sequene to learn the flow and how to combine them.
As was/is done in some chinese styles.
I think Ninpo/NinJutsu(new name is Taijutsu) is called Form less as they have no pre-prescribed Kata or sequences.

But in the end I think it depends on the practicioner, some work well in technique training, some do better in form/kata training.

joedoe
01-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Like everything, different methods will suit different people. Some people may be best suited to learning from forms, some may be more suited to techniques. Ultimately, what it comes down to is how much you practice. If you don't put in the practice using either methodology, then you won't get anywhere.

Personally, I don't see why teaching from forms is any different to teaching techniques. It is the same thing in the end.

David Jamieson
01-20-2002, 09:58 PM
yes

peace

Leonidas
01-20-2002, 10:41 PM
I know its all the same in the end. After all forms are just a bunch o' techniques strung together. But i'm really talking about the issue of remembering them. I guess i could use the example of making a song to remember facts for a history exam. I guess i just gotta figure out what works best for me. Thanx anyway

joedoe
01-20-2002, 10:45 PM
But if you think of the process of learning a form, it is no different to learning techniques. Repetitive practice is required for your to remember forms properly, and it is the same case for learning techniques.

respectmankind
01-20-2002, 11:13 PM
I do not feel that training using a technique is any better than training without, infact, I find training without a technique is better for *me*

whippinghand
01-20-2002, 11:46 PM
technique vs. principle
branches vs. trunk

neito
01-21-2002, 01:02 AM
TAI-JUTSU is a common unarmed combat system in ninpo. It begins with the kihon kata which are several short techniques that use the basic consepts of the system. Most techniques in the system seem so follow those principals. emphasis seems to be on aplication and adapting the basics rather than the just the basics. Thus there is no real forms practice, and heavy use of technique training. You will also find that they do not train extensivly in perfecting their strikes and grappling as individual entities. You dont usually find them practising the same punch for half an hour. What they are very concerned with is being able to exercise their technique effectivly from every possible time and situation. Their strikes usually land in soft places so extreme power is not necessary. This of course is my inference after 7 months training and reading several books in only one style. So I may not be an expert but have a general overview of the art. I would recomend tai-jutsu to any strikers who want to learn grappling but find it uncomfortable. Tai-jutsu uses a lot of stand up grappling and is easy for a strike based stylist to comprehend. Personally I have chosen not to continue my studies in tai-jutsu because I want to develop a good base of strong techniques before concentrating on application only. I have chosen wing chun because it is effective and has focus on basic technique as well as application. The seems to be one or two tai-jutsu schools in each area either under the name of ninjutsu, bujitsu or taijutsu, the first name mentioned (ninjutsu) seems to be the most common.;)

LEGEND
01-21-2002, 07:52 AM
YES technique base training is effective against the unskilled common fighter. The UNSKILLED is those u most likely will fight...typical haymaker or tackle attackers. Navy Seals train in SCARs...and this is all technique based with limited full contact training. But it is effective fighting system.

Mutant
01-21-2002, 08:29 AM
forms are just strings of techniques, which are often over-emphased. back in the day, all they had were loose techniques, then subsuquent masters made forms, often mosty for demonstration, and to catalogue all the techniques.
forms can be fun and have their place, but i think practicing the techniques seperately can possibly have better results. thats not to say you can't learn both, thats the idea of forms, but by just learning and drilling the seperate techniques, or combos of techniques in a response training manner can be better for real fighting imho.
thats what boxers, muay tai, mma/nhb fighers do.
if you spend all day learning practicing the form there is no time left over for drilling the techniques adequately, only so many hours in the day to train after all. if you have lots of time to learn both or all, then thats better yet.

Kristoffer
01-21-2002, 08:32 AM
yes.. and no :cool: