PDA

View Full Version : Rad pullup article

IronFist
01-20-2002, 10:02 PM
Here (http://www.dragondoor.com/jallstadt.html)

Thought you guys who are in to pullups might enjoy this.

Iron

Braden
01-21-2002, 01:19 AM
Interesting stuff. I love pull-ups.

What do you guys think about his comments on wide-grip pull ups?

Do you guys have any resources for handstand training? Matt Furey has some stuff out on it, but it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive. At least from this poor student's perspective. ;)

I'm trying to cut weights out of my routine as an experiment, except for weighted vests for 'bodyweight' exercises. Ok, ok... I know there's probably no real logic to that, but it keeps me training, heh.

IronFist
01-21-2002, 02:47 AM
A bunch of guys over at Pavel's forum are seriously boycotting Matt Furey's stuff. I think it's over priced as hell, personally. As for his handstand pushups tape... how much is there to learn about handstand pushups? It's not worth $86 or whatever it is. Ask me any questions you have about handstand pushups and I'll give you my best answer for free.

What do you guys think about his comments on wide-grip pull ups?

Well, I disagree with his opinion about wide grip pullups. Personally I think wide grip pullups are the bomb. Here is how I used to do them when I was bodybuilding:

Wide grip
Behind the neck
...just how he advises against doing them.

However, I've never, ever had a problem with behind the necks (knock on wood) in 2.5 years of doing them. But I'm pretty flexible to begin with.

Also, I asked him about the wide grip thing, and said by "wide grip" he means so wide that the entire range of motion is only like 6 inches (meaning your body only goes up 6 inches). I agree that that is too wide, but he could have been a little more clear in his article.

Also understand that most of the people at Pavel's board frown upon bodybuilding, hence the negativity toward it in the article.

But all in all it's a pretty good article with some nice pics.

Iron

Braden
01-21-2002, 03:44 AM
Yeah, the wide-grip palm-forward pullups were shown to me as 'shoulderbusters' years ago. They've gone in and out of my routine, but I've liked them alot. It seems that when I neglect them, I _really_ lose the ability to do them (much more so than any other exercise), even if I'm still working close- and mid- pullups.

About Matt Furey's stuff - I don't have any of it. I've wanted real bad to pick some up lately (re: aiming for the bodyweight routine), but it's just been too expensive. The only thing I can see myself using are his two- and one-legged hindu squats and handstand pushups; the squats I'm not too clear on doing. But I guess for that much $$$ I was hoping on finding some little gems I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

The idea behind the routine I'm working on is to base it all on [sometimes weighted] bodyweight exercise, where I superset together exact opposite motions (like chinups and handstand pushups) for each exercise. From that article, it looks like it's not as original an idea as I'd thought, heh.

Robinf
01-21-2002, 07:43 AM
I just have to say, baby got a nice back.

Sorry.

Thanks for the article.

Robin

wtsihing
01-21-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm a certified personal trainer, and I have found there has been some research offered that doing 'behind the neck' pull-ups, 'behind the neck' shoulder presses, lat pull-downs, etc. can lead to the compromise of the shoulder joint's integrity (i.e. the "rotator cuff") over time.

The "ball" on the end of the arm's humerus bone that inserts into the shoulder socket of the upper torso reaches what is called an "anatomical barrier" when the humerus is rotated behind the vertical (sagital) plane of the neck. As you draw your body up in a pull-up or during the up motion of 'behind the neck' shoulder press, or the up motinon of the bar in a lat pull-down - the ball end of the humerus, at that rotation, grinds into the shoulder's system of "socket" bones and cartilidge (again what is commonly refered to as the "rotator cuff"). This, according to the research, grinds away the cartilidge and, over time, the bone mass of that area through prolonged use of this movement pattern. This can lead to some debilitating consequences.

Personally, while doing the exercise, I find it feels good. But with the amount of research data offered, I've opted to utilize the other shoulder/ back exercises available.

01-21-2002, 11:32 AM
Good Article,

He has and interesting standpoint on widegrip pullups. Too bad the article is written from an opinion standpoint instead of a factual one. I will give hius theory a try though.

Shaolin36

IronFist
01-21-2002, 01:29 PM
wtsihing,

Thanks for the info. I think that a lot has to do with an individual's flexibility, too. Kind of like how being forced into the splits could be bad for someone who can't do them :)

Also, I see that you are new here, so I offer some friendly advice. Don't flaunt the "I'm a certified personal trainer" thing, because a) being "certified" doesn't automatically make you competent in the field, and b) more than a couple people here are "certified personal trainers" as well. I'm not being a ****, just letting you know.

Iron

wtsihing
01-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the insight. Train Safe.

hkphooey
01-22-2002, 11:07 AM
iron

thanks for that link.

as for matt furey...i've had some interactions with Mr Fury. i'll leave it at that. i don't think you need a tape to teach you how to do handstand pushups, bro.

just another personal trainer,
t