PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat OT: Avatar Question

taijiquan_student
01-21-2002, 12:22 AM
How do you get a pic small enough to be your avatar(50 x 50 pixels)? Nothing straight off the net is small enough, and if I copy it to a program like Word or something it won't have a web address to enter to activate it. (I bet you can all tell how great I am with computers;) )

Thanks a lot!

xiong
01-21-2002, 07:06 AM
I made mine myself, using powerpoint and Photoshop. Basically the idea is to get something into the jpeg format.

Once it is in the jpeg format you need to use an image editor to size it down to 50x50, which is pretty **** small.

I have a Chinese wordprocessing program and copied the character over to powerpoint, saved it as a jpeg, and then manipulated the image size and background in photoshop.

That is what worked for me.

taijiquan_student
01-21-2002, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Xiong.

Unfortunately I don't have photoshop or powerpoint or anything so I won't be able to do that.

Do you, or anyone else, know another way?

Thanks a lot.

Tigerstyle
01-21-2002, 03:29 PM
I did mine on Photoshop too.

There might be some free image editing programs out there on the 'net that let you resize images. They shouldn't be too difficult to learn either.

jaz1069
01-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Use your Window's based paint program.
Display your picture and then go to edit...
then to Stretch/Skew and shrink it until you get 50x50

That's how I did mine.

JAZ1069

DelicateSound
01-21-2002, 03:45 PM
Corel Photo-Paint 9.

Just type in 50X50 and its all done. No fuss. Even paint'll do it though - but you might have to keep changing and then checking its properties.

joedoe
01-21-2002, 03:46 PM
Or you could go to www.studioavenue.com, set up an account (it is free) and do it there. Very nice facilities :)

taijiquan_student
01-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks jaz. I got it into Word and can resize it fine. Now the only problem is when I enter it as my avatar and press enter, it says it isn't a valid gif or jpg image. How do I make it one if it's coming out of word and not directly off the net?

Sorry about all this.

David Jamieson
01-21-2002, 03:52 PM
http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

is what you want.
You'll figure it out.

It is the most rockin freeware graphics manip sw out there.

peace

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-21-2002, 03:52 PM
actually you should be able to do it in paint.

i havent actually tried on any version earlier than what comes with xp but i just opened it up in paint and went to edit attributes. you can set it for pixels there.

you can also download a bunch of free programs from www.tucows.com.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-21-2002, 03:58 PM
. .. or the one kung lek suggested.

i had the reply window open for a while during a call.

taijiquan_student
01-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I have it in paint, it's 50 x 50, everything is cool, but when I try to enter it into KFO the **** thing still says it's not a valid gif or jpg file. **** it!:mad:

Man, I must be an idiot.

wushu chik
01-21-2002, 04:51 PM
D@MN IT...
Mine won't work either...this is really starting to p!ss me off!

~Wen~

red_fists
01-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi.

I am also using Irfanview.

Simply open the picture( any Format) in it,
select a 50x50 region or similar and than resize to 50x50.
Save as .jpg. (ex. avatar.jpg)

And set the Avatar in the Change Option section.

Hope this helps.

wushu chik
01-21-2002, 05:59 PM
I hope this works

wushu chik
01-21-2002, 06:00 PM
ok, it didn't

wushu chik
01-21-2002, 06:02 PM
OK, i have done EVERYTHING you guys have told me, and it's STILL not coming up....I am hopeless

red_fists
01-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Hi Wushu-Chik.

Can you pm me the Avatar file to the following address:

U1149@niws.co.jp

I will check it out and make mods if it needs to be done.

If it checks out ok, I will do a test-add on my side and let you know.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-21-2002, 06:06 PM
i never got it to work on the upload option either.

i had to save it as the right size, put it on my ftp, and link it that way.

you guys could sign up for free webspace at any one of the billion sites that offer it just to put the pics there and have a place to link them.

or you could have any of us put them on our sites and we would just give you the link so your avatar will show. if you prefer to have someone put it up you can email the pic to iwishiweredead@hotmail.com. let me know if you do that in this thread though cause i only check that address every few days. the link you would then put in for your avatar would be something like http://users.1st.net/abaddon/wushuchick or whatever you want me to name it . . . not that it really matters.

red_fists
01-21-2002, 06:13 PM
Hi .

I do all of mine with upload. I am on multiple Boards.

One thing that can cause probs, could be the Color depth.

If you use a Color Option that is too complex(True Color, etc.), it can push the File size above the upload limit and the Software won't accept it.

Hope this helps.

wushu chik
01-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks Red_fists...I will e-mail them to you later tonight.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-21-2002, 06:52 PM
that makes sense. i never fu cked around with it much cause it was easier just to upload them to my ftp. that and i really suck with art progs.

wushu chik
01-21-2002, 07:17 PM
Never Mind...thanks all...got it all taken care of...that's Russell Wong..since Tae Li has Jet wrapped up, i took the second best! Was going to put a pic of Silumkid up, but didn't think he would like that too much!! Thanks again all!!

~Wen~

diego
01-21-2002, 07:36 PM
gda can i send you a pic and you workit for me...:D