PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Dummy

Golden Arms
01-21-2002, 01:27 PM
How many southern styles utilize the wooden dummy in their training regimen? If you do, do you use it strictly to condition a part of your body, or to work on trapping, blocking, etc, or for forms, etc? How is your wooden dummy unique if at all?

-Golden Arms-

Fu-Pow
01-21-2002, 02:31 PM
CLF has many dummies. Here is are links to articles that details a few of them. The main one is called the Ching Jong and is very unique to CLF. My branch of CLF only has the Ching Jong (as far as I know).

http://www.clfma.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=25

http://www.clfma.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=9

Golden Arms
01-21-2002, 02:54 PM
Very nice...thanks Fu-Pow! Anyone else have anything to contribute?

-Golden Arms-

joedoe
01-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Wu Chu Chuan uses the wooden dummy. Used for conditioning as well as training trapping. Sometimes also used for training accuracy of kicks.

kei lun
01-23-2002, 10:00 PM
The TaiJi Mantis style has a dummy form called "Siu Lum Fut Jong" created by the late grandmaster Jiu Jook Kai. Its on the same dummy as wing chun uses. Few people know this form but its quite beautiful and extreemly practical. There is also a book on it that you might be able to get through some TaiJi Mantis schools.

Cheers,

Kei Lun

fiercest tiger
01-23-2002, 11:17 PM
we use for fighting techniques, conditioning comes with it!

we have a wingchun dummy, 2 arm dummy, and another that is like a wingchun but the center is opened up not closed off like wing chun style.

usually techniques are employed as well there is a form!

HopGar
01-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Hop Gar, ironically enough, uses a wooden dummy, I dont know anything about it though.

GOLDEN ARMOR
01-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Choy Lee Fut has 18 dummies each created to train the CLF practicioner into a complete fighter. I have read & heard a lot of people say that dummies r only good 4 conditioning & power, that u need a partner to develop speed, timing, accuracy & reflexes. Well theyre very wrong, if u have trained these dummies or seen them used u will see my point. Im not saying that they can always take the place of a live partner, because u still need to get to know the human mind/body & how it works (sparring,chi sau). But they do a good job, especially when u dont have a live partner 4 eg. some of these dummies r booby trapped & even more so at advanced. Just like the famous Shaolin Wooden Men, well they did originate from the Fukien Shaolin Temple & their 36 Chambers. Monk Choy Fook aka rotten head 1 of the last surviving monks from fukien temple, got his knickname escaping the temple with his head on fire. U wouldnt call him that to his face, especially when he use to chop wood with his bare hands.;) He taught Chan Heung(founder of CLF) the dummies & lots more. Im suprised more styles that have their roots in shaolin dont have more than 1.(bak mei,hung ga) Especially Hung Ga, its meant to be the closest style to sthn. shaolin & Ji Sin helped create the 18 dummies & 36 chambers. Anyway i think even if u were to just learn these 18 dummies u would be a very skillfull & complete fighter. Check out Fu Pow links & the thread on CLF dummies by Joseph, links to great articles. CLF has dummies 4 every skill u need power,speed,reflexes,accuracy,timing,mobility,cond itioning,centering chi,pressure points,weapons & many more.(check out the articles) The dummies r put in levels just like hand sets of CLF primary,secondary & tertiary.(primary,high school & college) Theres the Ma Jong (Horse Dummy) has a log with wheels & shped like a horse the harder u hit the harder it comes back, u have to control it & redirect the force, there r also spinning arms with targets behind.This is secondary level. There is also the Copper Man Dummy with 12 meridian pressure points 4 Di Mak each time u hit it must be fast,accurate & with power so it makes a clicking sound if it doesnt u didnt hit the points properly. The Dragon Fan is also used on this tertiary level dummy. And there r still the other 16 which include weapons.
Heres another 2 articles by sifu Lane Louie.

http://www.clfma.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=14

[URL]http://clfma.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=13
This is the Sa Bo Jong(Sand Bag Dummy) the first u learn but a bit harder than the next (Ching Jong) since its considered a moving dummy. The other Chuin Lung Jong(penatrating Dragon Dummy) great for building & centering chi & leg strength 4 speed + mobility.(power building form)Done in 3 sections.

Golden Arms
01-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Wow...that was a great response Golden Armor! Thanks for the input!

-Golden Arms-

mysteri
01-30-2002, 11:58 PM
hey guys, great replies! to my knowledge, jow ga has at least one dummy. i believe it's similar to the CLF ching jong. but i have not used it yet. we'll be finally gettin one @ our kwoon within the next few months. but for now, since we share the school w/ a wing chun master, i jus throw on jow and train basic conditioning and footwork with the WC dummy. golden armor was right on the money w/ his response and CLF is very fortunate to have had chan heung learn the forms he did from choy fook and help preserve the traditions of shaolin. i'll let u guys know how the jow ga dummy holds up. oh yeah, i saw some wicked northern mantis style dummy's one time, they were hanging from tree's as opposed to posted in/on the ground. also, i think the black tiger style also has a unique dummy, so i hope some of the stylist will speak out.

kei lun
02-01-2002, 08:41 AM
What dummies does Choy Lee Fut have? I know of the Ching Jong, Sa Bau Jong, Ma Jong, Do Jong, Mui Fa Jong, Baat Gwa Jong, Jook Lum Jong, Hoi Moon Jong, Soi Sau Jong, Gwun Jong, Cheun Lung Jong. What others are there?