PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't it pi$$ you off when...

Ray Pina
01-22-2002, 08:28 AM
delete

scotty1
01-22-2002, 08:41 AM
I understand that you're saying it ****es you off that this guy is covering up his own shortcomings by saying that you punched wrong. And I agree, that would **** me off too.

But why do you feel embarassed when you get hit?
You're learning, you haven't failed. If you're a student, and even if you're a master, you can't be perfect all the time. :)

shaolinboxer
01-22-2002, 08:53 AM
When my seniors tell me something different than my sifu, I try to keep an open mind, but those seniors who make suggestions outside of out sifu's explainations have decades of experience and could have schools of their own if they wished. They're comments are always helpful.

Sounds like the guy who is bothering you has a case of sifuitis.

If you hit him, so what. To him it may be no big deal. Getting hit should be no big deal. If you make to much of it, you lose yourself and you place yourself in danger of losing or overreacting.

Yup, he probably corrected you because he wants to keep the pecking order. So what? You will come across this over and over in CMA. It's part of the deal.

Or maybe he didn't care that you hit him and really wanted to help you. Or maybe the drill is just a drill, and it is important for both parties to play their rolls properly, and you were not.

Satanachia
01-22-2002, 09:12 AM
Is when the guy correcting you isn't a senior student. He's a begginer like you, has come to less classes than you, and he keeps going on about how you should hit, how you should punch, how you should grab, twist, pull, push.....AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

And its not just that he's a begginer, but that he's a bad one at that. I mean we're what you'd call a pretty external style, but we're still supposed to throw our punches and stuff like we're relaxed and loose, since when you tighten up, say in a jab for instance, your bicep and other unneccesary muscles being tense only slows down and inhibits your power and penetration.
But christ, this guy looks like he's got a **** 6 foot staff pole up his butt he's so tense.

And when you practice techniques, don't get me wrong, its good to have a little resistance, but he seriously puts his entire weight into resisting you and tries to stop your technique working at every oppurtunity. Which is fine, but its rediculous when your first trying to learn the technique, and secondly when your afraid if you were to do it any harder you'd rip his arm off. I mean i'm all for reality, but come on.
And then when you go easy and decide NOT to rip his arm off, he starts going on about how he could of gotten out of that, even though he ignores the fact that his wrist was bent back at 90 degrees, his center of gravity was on the verge of sending him toppling to the ground, and you only put in 25-50% effort, and the only reason he's still standing is because your being courteous.
And then HE tries the technique on you, and its **** 100% power and it hurts like hell, and the only reason your still conscious is due to your own flexability, knowing how to fall, and his own incompetence.

THAT'S what ****ees me off.....

Ok, sorry for the rant.

The senior students don't tick me off as much. Since if they show me something i think looks different to what the teacher said, i'll just feign ignorance and inability and call the teacher over to clarify what he wants us to do. Works fine, senior student gets clarified and i don't have to put up with conflicting views.:)

Ray Pina
01-22-2002, 09:17 AM

shaolinboxer
01-22-2002, 09:21 AM
With that I could not agree more. If you ask someone to go strong, you should be prepared to make errors...after all isn't the intent to test yourself?

Looks like you have something to teach this guy :).

I understand your annoyance.

Satanachia
01-22-2002, 09:25 AM
I agree with you of course.

If a punch gets through, and your practicing the block in the drill, its your fault, and frankly if it doesn't feel like its going to hit you if you don't block it well enough, then your not exactly training very effectively.

Crimson Phoenix
01-22-2002, 10:12 AM
I definitely agree...it's always easier to say that the guy next to you made a mistake than to realize the lameness came from you...My brothers and I always say that "the attacker is always right": if you miss the block or application or whatever, asa defender it is your sole fault, there are no justifications: even if the attack is twisted or messed up, the defender is wrong and the attacker always right...of course, that is when you go freely, if you intend to explain something against a middle kick and the demo guy does a high roundhouse, it's not the same...

Satanachia, I feel you, we got one too...he never lets you alone, always put his nose in your stuffs, always give you adviced that 1) are no good or 2) he should follow first before talking...The guy got his rank 6 month before me, and got it very barely, but still he comes around trying to advice everyone...&I usually just go "yes, yes...oowww, right, you're right"...then he's happy, leaves me working, and thinks he's sooooo good.
It doesn't help with his attitude and he'll keep on talking too much, but these persons can't be shaked of their illusions...students that have been in the school longer than me are even starting to ignore him because of his lame attitude...ppffffff

rubthebuddha
01-22-2002, 10:18 AM
just tell the bum that as soon as your strikes stop getting through, you'll fix them. until them, the monkeybumper needs to learn to defend himself properly against apparently inferior technique.

Ray Pina
01-22-2002, 10:19 AM
"The attacker is always right". That is golden, those words should be stapled to every Martial Artist's hand. I like that a lot.