PDA

View Full Version : Winter blues

Skarbromantis
01-22-2002, 08:57 AM
How do you train in the winter?

I train in my backyard or in the driveway, but i can't now because of the snow, i"ve been training in my living room, but the space is so small and i cant go all out, im going crazy!!
I really need to figure something out.... man i miss the summer!!
Any ideas?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-22-2002, 01:08 PM
my sifu says that you should be able to take any movement, including spinning movements, and condense it into the size of a small card table. one day you may have to fight in a space the size of your living room.

i admit that i have a huge area for training (got lucky and moved into an apartment which had the foundation raised years before ... so i got a huge basement with a 12 ft cealing) but the other day i trained for about 20 mins in my tiny bathroom while my daughter was playing in her bath. to tell you the truth it was one of the best training sessions i have had in a long time.

DelicateSound
01-22-2002, 01:26 PM
OK Scarbro [BTW There is only ONE Scarborough!!]

Try training in:

*Garage
*Loft

If not, work on close range fighting. t's what I do.

Ray Pina
01-22-2002, 01:57 PM
I train in my kitchen, which is not so large. I even have friends over to roll hands or chi sau in there. Plenty of room. I learned my S. Mantis in a hallway -- actually not a bad place because if you're weight is off you get banged against the wall. Little things become more obvious in condensed space.

dezhen2001
01-22-2002, 02:07 PM
maybe you should do some horse stance work/meditation?
don't need to move and it sure as heck keeps you warm!

training in a small space is good for chi sau. Has anyone seen the pics of WSL training on a square table? I tried that before with my Si Suk and kept getting knocked off :D

david

Skarbromantis
01-22-2002, 03:13 PM
No garage, no basement,(we rent it out)plus
i have too many people in the house to train
and dont feel comfortable, so right now im doing it in the cold snow outside.

"maybe you should do some horse stance/meditation"

That i do every night before bed in the room with the old lady timing me.

[BTW There is only ONE Scarborough!!]

Delicatesound , i know...Toronto..Scarborough!:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-22-2002, 08:49 PM
rearrange your bedroom. when i lived at home my room looked like an odd living version of tetris but i made enough floor space to train. i mean it looked really odd but it served it's purpose.