PDA

View Full Version : choy lay fut 3 section staff

RAIN
01-22-2002, 11:36 AM
clf brothers , can anyone tell how is the name of the sam jeet gwun form of the lee koon hung linaje ?
and if anyone use the weapon what think about it ?
the incorporation of this weapon have some special meaning in the choy lay fut system ?

extrajoseph
01-22-2002, 03:25 PM
CLF sam seet gwun is just called that, there is no special name. I know you are asking for Lee Koon Hung lineage information, but there is a general introductory article on CLF weapons on the clfma.com site you may find interesting.

http://www.clfma.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=10

CLFNole
01-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Ditto on what Extrajoseph said.

There is a CLF sam jeet kwun form the Lee Koon Hung taught in the old days, however the form he taught more recently (from the 80s on) was passed on to him by Shek Kin (Mr. Han from Enter the Dragon). It is a northern form.

Peace.

Eddie
01-22-2002, 09:58 PM
CLFNole,
I saw Tat Wong's student do the 3 section staff on an old tournament video and it was little different to the one I know (the ending part was different). I was wondering about the following. At the end, this guy added some funny kicks (stretch kick, cresent etc). He also finished his form in a bow stance with his body looking kind of backwards, holding the staffs in a x pattern in front of his Face (almost wushu like). The form I know is the same with out the kicks, and we finish it of in horse stance with staffs together, go to single gwa choy then finish off.

This student of tat wong was very skillful, and his form looked pretty good with those added pieces, I was just wondering if he added that in for the tournament, or is that what your form looks like too?

Have a nice day

RAIN
01-22-2002, 11:15 PM
eddie

in the tat mau wong 's phanter videoseries , he make the form exactly you describe with the kicks and the ending in bow stance .

clf nole

if this is the form that belong to a northern style of shek kin , what style is ?

Eddie
01-23-2002, 07:14 AM
Rain,

Which videos are these? I saw that Master Wong has a long distance program on their site. Is this the video you are talking about? It would be interesting to see them. Does he even have 3 section staff on it?

Im not sure, but I think from what I know that this form is the Won Hop Kuen 3 section staff from but CLFNole or handsome'' Sow Choy will know

Those last kicks are not difficult to add. I thought it was just the student who added it, but if you say master Wong has it in his vids i't puzzles me. I know one of my seniors who learned from Yuen Hong Chow learned the same 3 section form as what I did (ending in sei ping ma).

Not to serious though, I was just wondering out of curiosity.

CLFNole
01-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Yes Tat Mau Wong changed the ending a bit. The ending I have seen always was in the bow stance with the staff in an X pattern. I have a tape of Lee Koon Hung showing this form in 1976 and he also did the same ending. Maybe Yuen Hong Chow changed his version of the ending.

The form comes from Chut Sing Tong Long (7-Star Praying Mantis) from what I was told.

Peace.

RAIN
01-23-2002, 10:41 AM
eddie

the video i'd mencioned was the first series of phanter productions . in his new long distance series tat wong only teach the staff and broadsword .
forgive my ignorance , but to which branch belongs master yuen hong chow ?

tomcat
01-23-2002, 07:10 PM
Eddie,I have tat wong,s video and learned this set from the tape,If it's no longer available it's a shame , as it is an awsome tape loaded with drills and breakdowns. I don't know about it's origins as most my training is in Hung-Gar and Shaolin,But I love the techniques,that come out of the outside crescent that you spoke of. and the strikes with both ends of the staff that come right after.
Also it's a great tournament form, I perfomed the set at a local open tournament , I got a 1st place trophy and a standing ovation.
Take Care
Tomcat

Eddie
01-24-2002, 12:56 AM
CLFNole,
thanks allot for the great info. Once again, you were a wealth of info. Much appreacitated :). May I ask, the version you know, is it without the kicks? From that same tournament video, I saw from Master Tat Wong's students, that their Broadsword from is also little different (mostly directions change, but here and there a slight different movement). The basic feel of the form is still the same.

Rain,
Yuen Hong Chow was one of Lee Koon Hung's students (or friends - Im not sure exactly). He also taught Muay Thai. He is the one on the cover of the older version of Dynamic Art of Fighting. I think he was the art editor.

Tomcat
that form is very nice. I will check to find those panther videos as you said. Congrats on your victory.

CLFNole
01-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Eddie:

I learned a portion of this form. I never completed it because I left the school. When I go to Hong Kong this year I plan to hook up with my Sihing/Sisuk and finish it along with learning a couple of other forms I never got around to.

Peace.

RAIN
01-24-2002, 11:22 AM
eddie or clf nole

i 'd write some of the tecniques of sam jeet kwun in chinese can any of you give the translations or tell me if there is more techniques in the form that i am missed .

gau fa ( circle strike )
seung fa
chou ( block )
dahn ah
jwan da ( hitting from the outside to inside )
gam gou sou da ( swiping to inside )
tau da
ghwan da ( side strike )
chi ( strike ) jong ( strike )
fa ka da ( circular technique over the head )
tau ( block )
so kan tin ( upward block in x )
ha kan tin ( dawnward bolck in x )
gwandau & gau ( side block and trap to the neck )
ti ( blockin turn around )

Eddie
01-25-2002, 02:01 AM
CLFNole,
Do you know if Lee Koon Hung still taugh the original Choy lay Fut 3 sectional staff form to any students (maybe the students in Hong Kong)? It would be interesting to see how much it differs from this 3 sectional staff form.

You say you are not with the school anymore? I am planning on coming to visit Master Li and Joe during the mid section of this year. I was hoping to get to meet you during that time. You seem to be well respected by your classmates and from your posts on this forum, one cannot help but wanting to meet you in person. Are you still living in Frd L?

Rain,

I'm not to sure about the translations of those names. I am still in the process of learning and perfecting my forms. Funny enough, I just started working on sam jeet gwan just before you posted this topic. Think Handsome Sow choy would be the person to talk to (Speaking of which, Joe I finally got to see one of those cars you drive.... you must look like a rock star. Very very Nice car.

CLFNole
01-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Eddie:

I think Sifu Mak Hin Fai knows this form as does Lee Koon Hung's brother in Hong Kong Li Chun Hung. From what I was told the form is okay it has alot of flowers with the one that does around the back. None of the LKH students from the US have seen it.

If you come to the US you might see me. I talk to some of the people at the school from time to time and often go to the chinese market next to the school. My family talks to Li Siu Hung on occasion since he is my wife's uncle.

Peace.