PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis Forms

MonkSanTe
01-22-2002, 11:54 AM
I hope this question hasn't been asked a million times on here. I recall being told that the three original Mantis forms are Luanjie (chaotically connected), Bengbu (crash and fill in) and bazhou (eight elbows). I know that these forms are taught in Grand Ultimate Praying Mantis Boxing (Taiji Tang Lang Quan). Are they also taught in other systems of Praying Mantis boxing? Also, is Lanjie (intercept) derived from Luanjie, or are they totally unconnected? Thank you.

EARTH DRAGON
01-22-2002, 01:30 PM
there is a great thread on the very same questions that you asked call "original mantis forms" it goes into some great posts from many people that have extensive knowledge in all styles of praying mantis. So rather than being redundant you should check it out , I think it will answer many questions that you have about the forms.. take care

MonkSanTe
01-22-2002, 02:57 PM
I thought that stuff was on here. I don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

Tainan Mantis
01-22-2002, 11:11 PM
My Shr fu's b-day is coming up so this morning I went to his house to pay a courtesy visit.
As we were talking about MA the subject of Lee Kam Wing came up. Most of you have probably heard of this famous 7* HK master. He has published books in English as well as doing seminars with his students around the world.

He and my teacher struck up a friendship and exchanged forms. One question my teacher had, also a question that has been discussed on this board, is about 8 Elbows.
We say Ba Zhou for 8 elbows while the HK 7* say ba zhua and use the character meaning 8 Talons(or claws).
Since it is extremely common for the different PM styles to have techniques and forms with the same sound , but different characters we have wondered about this HK 7* form called 8 Talons. Is it Wang Lang's 8 elbows?

According to what my teacher discovered, he sees no relationship. HK 7* 8 talons starts like their 3 dzai yao forms with the same matching 11 moves in the beginning.
My teacher said out of the entire 8 Elbows nowhere do we see those 11 moves like that. Thus it is a similar name but unrelated form.
So they exchanged forms and my teacher taught mei hwa 8 elbows first section (about the length of beng bu).

I think this also goes to show that people of different lineages should get together to compare what they learn instead of trying to discern who is better or who has the "real" PM.

Kiasyd
01-23-2002, 05:31 AM
I think this also goes to show that people of different lineages should get together to compare what they learn instead of trying to discern who is better or who has the "real" PM.

Yes, with luck that is the purpose of this board... :)

BTW, thanks for this helpful info on 8 elbows.

-- Kiasyd

MonkSanTe
01-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Thank you Tainan Mantis. One of the reasons I was thinking about the question I asked is that I have seen the 7* version of Bengbu as taught by Lee Kam Wing, and it is different than the version I have seen in Taiji Mantis. I would expect this, of course, or else there probably wouldn't be different systems of northern Praying Mantis boxing. I just found it interesting. Thanks again.

seven_stars
07-08-2002, 11:55 AM
there are 4 styles of the praying mantis kung-fu. there are; northren, sothren, ta'i ch'i, and seven stars <(the 1 that i of corse take)

-if im rong here please correct me :p

Hau Tien
07-08-2002, 01:54 PM
seven_stars, please check your private message. If you don't know how, don't worry about it then, and I'll talk with you at class tonight.

There are quite a few more than four branches of mantis kung fu. Please make sure you know of what you're talking about before you post here.

seven_stars
07-08-2002, 03:07 PM
hau tien i wount b at class till next month and i thank you for corecting me ^^