PDA

View Full Version : To all the personal trainers

Robinf
01-22-2002, 01:10 PM
Hey guys,

I have some questions. This is about getting a job and working as a full time trainer in a gym.

Well, before I ask my questions, I'll ask this one: do any of you work full time in a gym? If so, which one?

My career goal is to become a full time personal trainer in a gym, but I don't know how that pays, or if it pays, and, honestly, what to wear to the interview (that first impression is important).

Robin

IronFist
01-22-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi Robin,

Well, I work part time as a personal trainer at my University's gym. Basically, my work load depends on how many people have signed up at any give time. Since most are students, they can't afford much personal training, which is fine with me, cuz I'm busy enough with homework and stuff.

My career goal is to become a full time personal trainer in a gym, but I don't know how that pays, or if it pays, and, honestly, what to wear to the interview (that first impression is important).

Most gyms pay well. My job is by far the highest paying job on campus, but I've heard that some professional trainers make $25-100+ per hour. If you train a movie star, you will make a LOT of money.

Which leads me to my next point, a little side-vent: What the ****! I was watching this show about how JLo or Buffy or someone was "toning" up for a part they had to play, and they were showing her work with her trainer. What a tool! He was giving her the dumbest exercises I've ever seen in my life. I could do better than him. Sorry if I can't get a job in Hollywood fitness because I don't look like a roid head (no offence to my buddies on gear :) ).

Which leads me back to my next, somewhat-related point. It helps if you look the part. I dunno what you look like, but a person who looks like Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor will probably not do well. It's like the saying, "never trust a doctor whose not in better health than you are." Hey, if you look like a juiced up bodybuilder you will get the most clients. Why? Because people associate huge muscles with fitness health and knowledge.

Sorry, don't let me ruin your mood. Being a personal trainer is an awesome job. Let me list some reasons for you:

1. You make your own hours (at least most do). This rules.
2. Due to the nature of the job, you like what you do most of the time. I'm very interested in fitness, and therefore I like sharing my knowledge with clients. It's kind of the opposite of working a cubicle all day.
3. You get paid well. Some people have the option of setting their own salary. I don't, because I work for the school, but many do. Remember, some customers think that you get what you pay for... so you may be able to get away with charging a ton if you think you are that different from the competition. Just remember to deliver :)
4. You can get new clients anywhere. Carry business cards around with you. If someone mentions something about wanting to get in shape, you can sometimes go from there.

One bit of advice: Don't train friends. If they want advice, it's ok if you want to help them for free, but don't charge them. The saying "don't mix business and pleasure" is true.

Finally, what to wear? Beats me. I wore a pair of cargo pants, a t-shirt and a jacket because it was freezing outside when I got hired. I have no idea what you would wear to a regular "corporate" gym, however.

Oh crap I gotta run to class. Good luck robin!!!

Iron

ElPietro
01-22-2002, 02:38 PM
I am not a personal trainer. But I have been interested in becoming certified and doing this as a side project. What Iron says is obviously true, except for the part about money. What I see and have been told has been that most trainers in corporate gyms, etc are more or less students making minimum wage, or not a whole lot more. But this is only if you are working for someone else at a gym.

The best case scenario would be to establish a small client base and then expand through word of mouth. Then you are earning between $50-150/hour training them. I mean you could list a buncha services, such as weight training, dietary help, progress measurements, motivation, etc. I think in that case it could be great. If you can get a solid base of customers then you can do very well. Business cards are a very good idea and many of the companies that do the certification offer a business card service. They will also train you in how to start a career. Some good starts would be NSCA or ISSA. They are both well respected organizations, NSCA is a bit better though. They have a few programs one requiring a university education, and another that does not.

I mean think, wouldn't it be great if you created a client base large enough that you could start your own gym? I think it's a great career path. If you're looking for a start pick up Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. It is the main text for the NSCA personal trainer exam. Even if you don't go for an exam you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about your muscles. ;)

IronFist
01-22-2002, 03:03 PM
One bit about the dietary help... if you are certified as a personal trainer you cannot legally give diet advice unless you also have some sort of dietary certification. At least, that's how it works here. If you started your own business then you probably could, but make sure you find out the legalities of anything you are considering.

Iron

Robinf
01-23-2002, 07:16 AM
Thanks, guys.

I'm waiting to hear from NASM if I passed the certification test. I went to the seminar and took the test afterwards. I passed the first half, I'm waiting to hear about the second half. I'm still studying kineseology and body mechanics to better serve my future clients, and because I'm really interested (fascinated, actually). They're also offering a flexibility training course this spring and they're beginning they're Masters in Exercise Science this summer (they're going through the accreditation process right now and expect to be done by the summer). I'm on board for all of it.

Anyhoo. I've heard things going both ways that you two have stated--some say the pay is fine, others say it's nothing. I'm looking to work full time in a corporate gym to begin with. I have rent and other bills to pay and need the steady income. My target is Gold's gym in Salem--they have a reputation of being a serious gym, and they just built an all women's only area. I feel that I could do a lot of good there. Actually, I can do a lot of good anywhere.

I'm also looking into getting a certification through ACSM. I'd like to go for specialization in helping diabetics, obese, etc. Big market, and I personally care about these folks (I have close family who suffer from these--they'd be trained at no charge).

Thanks for the tip on not charging friends for training. I wasn't planning on taking on friends as clients. In fact, I'm reluctant to tell anyone at my dojang about my training.

As far as looking the part. I'm not that cut, yet, but I look pretty good. I'm 5'4", 120 lbs, size 4 in clothes (including dresses); I can squat 110 lbs for 3 sets of 8, bench more than half my bodyweight, sit up from hanging upside down for 3 sets of 10 (because it's fun, I wouldn't recommend doing this one), and I can finally do one legged squats (which was a goal of mine). I can run a mile in about 7 1/2 minutes. My posture is improving immensely--from my seminar I saw a few flaws, ones that most people have, so at least I have a lot of company, and I'm dealing with it now. While pullups are still beyond me, I'm still trying hard, and the progress I've been making is truly pleasing to me.

How's that?

Anyone with corporate gym/non college related experience out there?

Robin

IronFist
01-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Nice job Robin. Most guys can't even do one legged squats :)

Iron

hkphooey
01-23-2002, 02:36 PM
robin

you go girl.

i preferred the NSCA over the ACSM simply for the focus (i recommend the CSCS cert). the ACSM is a great organization but is definitely more clinically related. if you're thinking about REALLY doing an MS in Exercise Phys, REALLY think about it. i know a lot of people (including my brother) who went through MS programs and now they are all full of clinical information and have no idea what to do in a gym. (actually, that's not totally true, they THINK they know..which is even worse.) however, it DOES provide more professional validation. so if you study the practical stuff on the side (and you seem to be the type that would), it could help out in the long run. just make sure the program is really what you want it to be.

to all MS majors: no...i'm not saying they're bad programs. they're great programs...they're just NOTt NECESSARILY complete.

as iron said, the nutrition gig is going to be a separate thing.

money is really going to vary. you need to find a niche, you know? i'm working on one that incorporates my yoga/qigong/martial background in to the gym stuff, and that includes aspects like meditation as well. everyone has their own idea of what they want, and the program gets tailored to where they are in there life.

blah blah blah... i'm rambling..sorry..

Robinf
01-24-2002, 07:50 AM
Thanks, HK.

I've been researching MS programs for a while; they're all fairly similar. That's why to be a personal trainer in a gym they require certification--the certification courses teach what do in the gym. Through my cert and my own studying and workouts, I'm doing quite well with all that.

I find the info that I'm lacking is the bio information that helps me, personally, understand what's going on, which gives me more and better ways to explain the benefits of an exercise other than, "It's good for you." Not that I would give anything technical, but being able to explain that this twisting motion is better at working your sides than this motion, is more of what I'm going for and more of what my clients will be looking for. I don't want my clients to just blindly to an exercise because I told them to. And they don't want that either.

I'm studying all this now by reading books knowledgeable people have advised.

I'm leaning toward ACSM because I want to be able to help "special populations"--the folks with diabetes and high blood pressure. I wouldn't be able to do anything really clinical without an MD, and that's fine, I'm not headed toward anything clinical. I just want to be able to help those folks develop a routine once their doctor has given them the go ahead to workout.

I know I have a lot to offer, I just don't know how to get out there and offer it where it'll be monitarily safe for me to do so. I can't do much if I'm left living in my car because I don't make enough. Know what I mean?

Robin

hkphooey
01-24-2002, 10:23 AM
hey robin

oh..i know what you mean...no question... =)

you have more confidence in the certification programs than i do. they do teach certain things that are applicable in a gym setting, sure. but you'll find that they still fall well short, esp the ACSM. but really, it's all about what you want to do with it. given what you're interested in, the ACSM is probably a great way to go. an MS would probably be a great idea as well. (by the way, there's been a lot of research done on the benefits of certain yoga asanas in cases of diabetes and HBP. so there are lots of avenues to investigate!!)

good luck if you pursue the MS option. and don't think for a second that you
need an MD to practice "clinically", because that's simply not the case!

Robinf
01-24-2002, 11:37 AM
It should be the case to have an MD to practice clinically. Yikes!

I'm not relying solely on my cert to have taught what I need to know in the gym. I'm also going by personal experience, reading advised books, and watching other trainers. I also have been teaching Taekwondo for the past 4 years, so I have a pretty good handle on how to relate to people and how to show and teach proper technique. I'm now learning a whole new set of techniques.

How do you think the certs fall short of showing you what to do in the gym?

Robin