PDA

View Full Version : Your style's fighting...uh...style...

Golden Arms
01-22-2002, 02:26 PM
Does your style of MA that you practice have a common methodology that characterises it as "____ Style/System"? (ie: controlling the centerline, taking it to the ground, etc.) If so what is it, and more importantly, how do you find it varies based on different players in your own system?

-Golden Arms-

Mr. Nemo
01-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Boxing: Stick and Move

Bajiquan: Get close and smash (or throw)

Brazilian Jiu-Jistu: Take down and submit (or buttscoot and make excuses, depending on who you ask)

shaolinboxer
01-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Extend Ki
Keep weight underside
Relax Completely
Keep one point

Golden Arms
01-22-2002, 02:51 PM
Nice...Mr Nemo, do you cross train in all those styles?? The buttscoot had me laughing.....Shaolin Boxer...I recognize those word for word...check my profile....I will always have respect for anybody that says those words and only gets calmer as you get more aggressive or close in on them :D

-Golden Arms-

Water Dragon
01-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Here's mine:

I refuse to fight you. However, I'd be more than happy to help you figure out how to fall down.

Golden Arms
01-22-2002, 03:28 PM
ROFL....Waterdragon, is that possibly a Tai Chi reference...I have heard tai chi players say that the greatest thing about using it is letting the other guy try and figure out how he got on the ground so quickly.....

-Golden Arms-

txwingchun
01-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Here's mine:

I refuse to fight you. However, I'd be more than happy to help you figure out how to fall down.
ROFL I'm going to steal that. That's good:D

Water Dragon
01-22-2002, 03:44 PM
It's actually a serious reply. Next time you spar, think of the above sentance. Notice how it changes your intent. It could also be, you just want to help the other guy figure out how to hit himself.

Dark Knight
01-22-2002, 04:15 PM
Intercept, trap, draw in hit a few times in between each step, takedown, break something then strike a few more times.

HopGar
01-22-2002, 08:00 PM
Destroy all of his weapons at his disposal.

EARTH DRAGON
01-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Destroy their center of balance and never let them regain it....

Octavius
01-23-2002, 12:16 AM
...crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

Oh, you wanted fighting "style"....

In that case, then in the paraphrased words of me mum,
"smile when you fight, cause it'll relax you, and unnerve the heck out of your opponent"

Don't mess with Mom!

Nichiren
01-23-2002, 01:43 AM
Octavius: Ahhhh, the Conan way of describing whats good in life...:D

jon
01-23-2002, 01:55 AM
These are not really style specific but commonly used in my training. They refer to many southern styles.

Dont let go untill you have taken your pound of flesh:eek:

The best defence is a good offence.

The strongest shape is a triangle.

Lastly my styles [Hung Ga] motto...
I can be as hard as iron or as soft as silk.

S.Teebas
01-23-2002, 05:41 AM
The strongest shape is a triangle.

In attacking or defending contex?

jon
01-23-2002, 05:50 AM
The strongest shape is a triangle
* This can be applied to a lot of things including both attack and defence but most often its applied to stance.
A good example is a square horse stance which is similar to a triangle on its side with your feet reprenting the base and your head the point.

01-23-2002, 06:45 AM
Our style, like Xingyiquan, has a very strong SPEAR influence.

We have a very thrusting kind of jing that punches through holes. The length of the spear when held at one end is reflected in our footwork.

The empty hand set of our style features spear like thrusting attacks. Yet we retain circular foot motions that allow us to attack an opponent from multiple directions. Even when we uproot our opponents, we do so from the side horse stance the way a spear would. Everything we do is based on this basic spear motion.

Interestingly, we don't practice a "spear" staff per se. We simply practice the "staff" knowing that it can be translated into a spear technique.

The spear posture allows us to close off our gates and yet open those of opponents.

shaolinboxer
01-23-2002, 07:50 AM
"Shaolin Boxer...I recognize those word for word...check my profile....I will always have respect for anybody that says those words and only gets calmer as you get more aggressive or close in on them "

Yeah, good old Koichi Tohei's words. My sensei, Shizuo Imaizumi, was head of the New York Ki socitey until he retired and opened his own school in 1987-1988.

"Our style, like Xingyiquan, has a very strong SPEAR influence."

That is very interesting, as the development of aikido is based on sword techniques. I think that this is a natural progression....as the weapons fade and become outdated, the empty hand techniques evolve.

KC Elbows
01-26-2002, 11:04 PM
close with your opponent
collapse the opponent's structure with your own
pummel, pummel, throw

Also, the jing is the same type jing used in hsing yi.
The footwork is pa kua to manuever, hsing yi to drive in
Get as close as possible without a marraige certificate