PDA

View Full Version : Art of Action: Martial Arts in the Movies

Ky-Fi
01-22-2002, 07:01 PM
I don't have the Encore cable channel, but a friend of mine does and I saw the above-mentioned documentary the other day---it's really excellent. Hosted by Samuel Jackson, it covers the history of kungfu movies from the peking opera, through stuff in the silent film era, 20's, 30's, right up through the present. Covers King Hu, Shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest---interviews with Cheng Pei Pei, Lau Kar Leung, Gordon Liu, Sammo, Jackie, Hui Yin Hung, Donnie Yen, John Woo, Ang Lee, plus a lot of others. And for comedy value, it has some laughable commentary from David Carradine and Steven Seagal.

This is airing again on Encore on Thursday, Jan 24th, at 2pm and again at 10 pm.

shaolinboxer
01-24-2002, 09:33 AM
Steven Segal, believe it or not, is considered to be quite a martial artist by his peers. His acting ability may be a bit less respectable.

Kristoffer
01-31-2002, 07:48 AM
I can see why many people dis like Seagel from his arogance, but he did infact get what it now was? Dan-ranking in Aikido. If you get a Dan, then you know something right? I agree on his movies,, they suck, most of them. Did u see his newest? OMG what a load of **** in one movie!!! That was like one of THE most horrible movies i've seen. Jeez :rolleyes: